Author Topic: Sewing machine question  (Read 6052 times)

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sewing machine question
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
I asked this over at Leatherworker.net, but thought I would try here too.

I am new to sewing machines, and just got a Cobra Class 4 delivered last week. With some practice the last couple of days, I can make a pretty decent stitch on top.

I am having problems with the back stitch though, but am figuring it out with practice. It seems to snag the thread once in awhile, and leaves a large knot on the bobbin side of the piece.

My real question... I build holsters, and with my handsewing, I can pull the stitching tight enough that I dont need to groove the stitching that would contact the gun. Using the machine, the stitching all lays on top of the leather, and will definately snag on a firearm eventually. This would be on the bottom/bobbin side of the piece while I am sewing.

Do I need to tighten the bobbin tension to get this to suck in more, or am I expecting too much from the machine? With handstitching, I can get away with wetting the inside of the holster some to help the thread pull in flush. Is this what I need to do in this case? I groove the outside stitch lines of course.

The bobbin side of the stitch is where it should be, in regards to pulled up into the leather, but basicaly I am needing to "pull" the thread tighter.

Some background that might help. I am using 14 oz of W&C with contact cement to glue. Thread is 277 bonded with an Organ 24/180 needle.

DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

rayban

• Forum Member
    • RG Leather
  • Liked:
Re: Sewing machine question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
I'm no expert, and I don't have your brand machine, I have a Cowboy which I understand is the same machine, different color...anyway, while my machine came already dialed in, I was told not to mess with the bobbin tension til I knew what I was doing, but any and all adjustments should be done up top.....sounds like your top tension adjustments need to be tightened which will draw the bobbin thread up tighter. Easy enough to try on some scrap leather at the same thickness as your work.
Rayban

langloisandy

• Andys Leather!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
Gimme a holler tomorrow, I'll walk you through it...

( andy@shottist.com , email me I will send ya my phone #)

Andy
Andy
www.andysleather.com
Ask me about Scout Rifle Slings ( www.scoutrifle.org )

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the help gents. I think I got it figured out tonite. I tightened up the top tension quite a bit, and now without a stitch groove it still pulls it fairly tight into the leather. I need to do this on my Avenger style holsters so that I dont have the thread standing proud on the reinforcement portion on the inside of the holster.
The outside has a stitch groove, and lays down and looks nice. (when I dont mess it up or put my foot on the right pedal while running the machine with my left...)
Thanks a bunch.
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:16 AM »
Dalton,

Someone already suggested to tighten the top tension....tightening the bobbin tension would have made your problem worse...you are in the learning curve my friend.....been there done that :D ;D
Proprietor:  Outrider Gun Leather
Outrider (Formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA)
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:00:49 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk