Author Topic: Ruger Revolver Action  (Read 23703 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger Revolver Action
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:01:02 AM »
Hazcat, you shouldn't tell anyone (in print) to do something like that, it might be against the law. and so is finding a shooting buddy from MD to help him out.   So as the judge says to the jury in court..."You are instructed to disregard that statement".
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:10:10 AM »
Hazcat, you shouldn't tell anyone (in print) to do something like that, it might be against the law. and so is finding a shooting buddy from MD to help him out.   So as the judge says to the jury in court..."You are instructed to disregard that statement".
Hey, thanks guys! I dont' think it's a crime to suggest that a crime is the only expedient option- it would still be up to me to actually COMMIT the crime.
Someone suggested I do that with a friend in PA. NO WAY, it's something that's just way too stupid to go to jail over.
I haven't spoken to Ruger yet either. It's probably not the first one that was ever sent to them from Jersey and they probaly know the drill. I've also got an email in to one range I go to a lot who is a big time dealer (sells to PD's and bids federal contracts) They should know.

I'm just disappointed- there are a lot of things a GP is not, but reliable and functional were always a given.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
Hey guys, I was NOT suggesting you break the law.  I don't know how NJ law reads.  Are you allowed to take your firearm out of state?  If so then why could you not send it to be fixed if it malfuctions while out of state?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:30:06 AM »
Hey guys, I was NOT suggesting you break the law.  I don't know how NJ law reads.  Are you allowed to take your firearm out of state?  If so then why could you not send it to be fixed if it malfuctions while out of state?
You can take them out of state or send them out of state, but you can't get them back. The only way to recieve a handgun in NJ is through a dealer. I think if you OWN it and can prove it with previous pistol permit you're ok (I think IF it was sent from the dealer where you pick it up). If they replace the gun instead of repairing it, I would have to get a new pistol purchase permit to pick up the replacement gun because it has a different serial number.
...and you guys from other states bitch about your gun laws....

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
You can take them out of state or send them out of state, but you can't get them back. The only way to recieve a handgun in NJ is through a dealer. I think if you OWN it and can prove it with previous pistol permit you're ok (I think IF it was sent from the dealer where you pick it up). If they replace the gun instead of repairing it, I would have to get a new pistol purchase permit to pick up the replacement gun because it has a different serial number.
...and you guys from other states bitch about your gun laws....

So if I am from NJ and I go hunting in WV and I take my hand gun to either hunt with or as a back up side arm I have to go through the whole permit thing again??
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:05:51 AM »

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
I'm not sure if you've decided on what to do about your trigger on this Ruger revolver. I have a suggestion. I can't say I'd ever do this myself. But in watching one of the gun programs, it was during a SASS competition and one of the shooters they hi-lighted in the show was talking about how he smooths and loosens up the action of his new revolvers by injecting them with toothpaste and running the action over and over. I think he said he does this like a couple hundred times or more. Then he thoroughly cleans them up and lubricates them as normal.  Also, as mentioned, it may just require proper break in time. I would suggest getting a very good lubricant during this time to help that along. Might I also suggest Gun Butter? But yea, the toothpaste thing sounded crazy to me but after I thought about it, I figured that the slight grittiness of toothpaste must finely sand and polish the action? Kind of like a lapping compound?

Anyhow, I hope you get that issue resolved.

G-Meister
I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6!
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
So if I am from NJ and I go hunting in WV and I take my hand gun to either hunt with or as a back up side arm I have to go through the whole permit thing again??
Na, na, na. You can bring your own licensed gun home with you, but you can't ride around with it. You have to be enroute from a dealer or a licensed range, or from hunting. Also the rules are a little different for handguns, but honestly, I don't know all the rules. I'm working on it.

I did call Ruger and they said, "SEND IT!" and that I can send it to them, and they can send it back as long as there's a 21 year old there to sign for it. Sounds good.
I also found this on the web:
http://deadbangguns.com/ShippingAlert.html
Sound legitimate.

Uh...and no toothpaste. SOUNDS good- the polishing aspect, but...nope.

www.bluebone.net

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »

Uh...and no toothpaste. SOUNDS good- the polishing aspect, but...nope.

Um, I don't blame you. I told you I thought it was crazy also. Even though after thinking about it that the grit in it might smooth and polish the action, didn't say I'd do it either. lol I don't blame you. I'm glad you're going to get it resolved. Just to bad you have to be without it, or rather your wife does, in order to get it done. Bummer. But at least they are taking care of it.

G-Meister
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 02:08:15 AM »
Actualy the toothpaste isn't that dumb an idea, its about the same as jewelers rouge, you want to clean it real well afterward though. Can you imagine getting cought in the rain and haveing your Ruger foaming?

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 06:06:40 AM »
SO...to continue the story. i shipped the gun via UPS but had to go to one of the rare shipping centers where the trucks go in and out (an hour drive each way for me). I had to ship overnight, signature required, for about $48. Ruger had the gun about five weeks. (Remeber this is a BRAND NEW gun)
I called them for status a few times and they could never tell me anymore than to read the note I had included with the gun. Yesterday I got a call (I had requested one day notice) that the gun would be arriving. It was delivered, my wife had to sign for it.

The invoice (no charge) inside said, "Repaired" and then listed the crane, the barrel, basically everything, so that was no real indication of what had been wrong. It also said they had replaced the hammer, which was obvious when you look at it since it's ground down a little where it strikes the firing pin.

Something must have happened to that gun. It came from Bud's Gun Shop in Paris Kentucky. Good prices, but by the time they ship to my local dealer and then I get the NJ treatment, I saved exactly $20 over if I had just had the local guy order it and paid sales tax etc.  AND I couldn't bitch at the local guy either.

So anyway the gun is back and the action feels and sounds typically Ruger, which it didn't do before. When you cock the hammer it has that typical clicking and ringing, and the action feels consistent so I have high hopes that it will function correctly now. Can't wait to get out to try it, but it's under 30, windy, rainy, and snowy. Not good testing weather.

The MOST important thing is now that my honey's Christmas gun is back, now I can get a new gun too!

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk