Author Topic: Go bag for beginners  (Read 33644 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Go bag for beginners
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 05:34:53 PM »
+1  And you'd better be prepared to defend yourself even without the pack acting as "bait".  The fact that everybody else is starving hungry (a state that will be reach by most people in a matter of days!), and here you are trotting around all healthy and with a little fat still on your bones, it isn't going to take a rocket scientist to figure out you've got food stashed SOMEWHERE.  Expect to be followed or mugged and pilaged.  If your on the trail and see another person, you just don't know what's going through their heads, or what circumstances they are in or are coming from.
As I've said before BM, TEOTOWAKI is a different game than making it through a week of chaos to get to high ground post Katrina. Assuming you are on the trail in the former case, my advice is don't be on the trail. Herein lies the virtue of the map and compass. Following the trail, road, whatever, from as little as a mile to one side or the other bushwhacking, though it might slow you up, will eliminate the majority of opportunistic predators and desparate refugees who could pose a problem. (one reason I have a set of wire cutters for barbwire and chainlink fences in the bugout bag). Granted thats easier in a flat state like Florida than say Western NC, but the principle still applies. TEOTOWAKI movement is about not being seen. Post Katrina, its about getting to aid. Two games, two sets of rules. 
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 05:43:55 AM »
As I've said before BM, TEOTOWAKI is a different game than making it through a week of chaos to get to high ground post Katrina. Assuming you are on the trail in the former case, my advice is don't be on the trail. Herein lies the virtue of the map and compass. Following the trail, road, whatever, from as little as a mile to one side or the other bushwhacking, though it might slow you up, will eliminate the majority of opportunistic predators and desparate refugees who could pose a problem. (one reason I have a set of wire cutters for barbwire and chainlink fences in the bugout bag). Granted thats easier in a flat state like Florida than say Western NC, but the principle still applies. TEOTOWAKI movement is about not being seen. Post Katrina, its about getting to aid. Two games, two sets of rules.  
FQ13

Good idea with the wire cutters.   Have you considered a Leatherman tool?  I've used the wire cutters on mine to cut barbed wire before without them showing any negative effects at all (went right through the wire to).  And depending on the model you choose you get another dozen tools or so for little more weight.   :)

In any situation where you need that BOB I'd think it very wise to look over people and their actions from afar before walking into the unknown.   ;)

Woody

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 08:59:09 AM »
 Fightingquaker13 I understand where your coming from, my thoughts exactly on the check points. I'll re-con on my bike with my bike bag, it looks neutral, my assault pack could be dyed black or green. But it will be at my safe spot, where Camo is an asset out there. I can rope it into a covered tree top, need be.
 They will be checking everybody in the city, and they will profiling everyone. I'll be the bum with the shopping cart, going past you.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:43 AM »
Everytime I research bob's or we start a thread on them they get very complex very fast.  The problem with that is that it makes it seem unattainable for the average person to get ready.  I have broken it down to keeping a bag with spare clothing in a central place, this bag also has some basic hydration, nutrition and first aid items in it, I keep my toiletries in one spot with the shaving kit right behind it for quick toss in and in the bob, all medications (oc and prescriptions) are kept in a small basket in the cupboard for quick grab and toss in bob, and defense items are the same.

Much of what we weigh our selves down with tools, etc. are already kept in the vehicles for daily preparedness of driving needs.

This fall I am attempting something new in the house.  I am storing the deep cycle batteries in the utility room and am getting an inverter.  I will be able to run the furnace and electronics on gas range for quite a while off a couple trolling motor batteries if needed.  Added level of comfort when facing the possibility of blizzard conditions and trying to start a tractor or gas generator.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »
Everytime I research bob's or we start a thread on them they get very complex very fast.  The problem with that is that it makes it seem unattainable for the average person to get ready.  I have broken it down to keeping a bag with spare clothing in a central place, this bag also has some basic hydration, nutrition and first aid items in it, I keep my toiletries in one spot with the shaving kit right behind it for quick toss in and in the bob, all medications (oc and prescriptions) are kept in a small basket in the cupboard for quick grab and toss in bob, and defense items are the same.

Much of what we weigh our selves down with tools, etc. are already kept in the vehicles for daily preparedness of driving needs.

This fall I am attempting something new in the house.  I am storing the deep cycle batteries in the utility room and am getting an inverter.  I will be able to run the furnace and electronics on gas range for quite a while off a couple trolling motor batteries if needed.  Added level of comfort when facing the possibility of blizzard conditions and trying to start a tractor or gas generator.
As an idle question to you yankees, how hard is to start propane vs gas generators in the cold? I have a Honda dual fuel generator and 11 tanks of propane to go with it. They were both a splurge on something I could do without and hopefully will never need. However, having the option of having close two weeks continous power is good and I can put the propane to work on the grill. The idea of having lots of liquid gas stored away is a non starter. Will the propane light up in cold conditions or is it just a Florida thing?
FQ

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:07:04 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »
I can only speak to grills as I use my gas grill 12 months a year and on occasion in sub-zero weather.  Shovel my way to it and let it get as hot as it can, I like my steak!

I believe that the fill level in the tank can have an effect on it's abilty to crank out the BTU's.  Best to use a fresh tank in cold weather.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 10:12:44 AM »
FQ, Before moving down here I had a small 3,500 watt generator I converted with a kit to run on propane in our camper.  It was electric start, with a pull backup.  We did weekend trips year round, and with a foot of snow on the ground the generator would start between the third and fith pull.  Or if you cranked it with the electric it took maybe three tries on the worst days (I'd only crank it for about three seconds per try).

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:03 AM »
Badger,

Do you know of any REASONABLY priced gas (propane) conversion kits.  I have a Guardian 15K and the kits I have found are 250 plus!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:55 AM »
BM where did you find the conversion kit and how difficult was it to convert?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 10:23:06 AM »
As an idle question to you yankees, how hard is to start propane vs gas generators in the cold? I have a Honda dual fuel generator and 11 tanks of propane to go with it. They were both a splurge on something I could do without and hopefully will never need. However, having the option of having close two weeks continous power is good and I can put the propane to work on the grill. The idea of having lots of liquid gas stored away is a non starter. Will the propane light up in cold conditions or is it just a Florida thing?
FQ

Horrible!!!  LP won't vapoize well in cold weather.  I had an lp grain truck, and when we dropped below 30 f I would need to plug the truck in to get enough heat to start the engine.  Gasoline is acutally the easiest, followed by diesel (it will actually fire and start on ether if you can spin it over fast enough) with lp and alcohol being the worst.  If I was going to a large generator I'd go diesel before lp unless I could use a vaporizer.

Actually the worst is the poor old fart that has to go out in the cold and start it.  Because of the reliability of our power supply we haven't had any reason to go to auto start and switching.  I have to go out the the center power pole and disconnect REA, go to the shed and start the generator, and go back to the pole and switch to auxillary.  Knee deep snow (or worse), 40 mph wind at 15 below and ice on everything makes it a real joy  :-\

The auto starts that are mostly installed in metro and suburban areas tend to be either natural gas or lp, and up here the include heaters on the engines.  Just like not being able to justify auto controls I have a hard time running a 1 kw heater all winter long ... over $50 per month for four to five months a year.  They actually advertise less than $25 per month, but that is battery tender 12 months, fuel usage for exercising the engine, and heat for the winter.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk