Author Topic: Tactical Flashlights  (Read 38698 times)

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tactical Flashlights
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
I come from an age where Maglights were the main flashlight being utilized. I am curious about the different types of flashlights with LED and which is the best light for the price on the market? What would be best for a shotgun, AR or handgun?

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Tactical Flashlights
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »
We had a very thorough thread on this before, I hope this link works, if not, go to forum and then search and type in flashlight, home defense. A huge amount of info, + a link to a guy who documented with pictures, many flashlights.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »
I have a couple of torches from here 
http://wolfeyes.com.au/

the Sniper 260 is the most popular one  the best torch I have   (next to my LightForce 240 Blitz Spot Light  :o )  I am guessing for you guys they would be very good price with the AU $$$ @.66c

AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS
=
US DOLLARS
1 AUD = 0.6617 USD  1USD = 1.5113 AUD  ::)

have a look here and here though

HTH

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »
Are you willing to pay a little more for a US made product that may have higher quality?

Are you looking for something that mounts to your gun?

Right now, today, I'm impressed with Insight and Surefire.  But, the flashlight game changes quickly, with LED lights purchased a few years ago being much dimmer and having a very short runtime.  We're seeing exponential advancements in non-diode LEDs.  Each company called them something different, but to make sure of the correct bulb type make sure the bulb is measured in watts.  And make sure to get one that is at least 60 lumen.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:38:56 PM »
Go back through previous posts.... there has been a pretty good thread with a great deal of info about flashlights not too long ago.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:30:32 PM »

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:18:44 PM »
I have a non-led Surefire E2D and an LED E1L. The E2D is nice as it doubles as an impact weapon with a crenellated strike bezel, however the back end has a similar scalloped treatment which makes it a little more difficult.

The real star for me is the E1L. Runtime is pretty good, considering that it is a 1-cell flashlight and the LED is really white and focused. I've compared this light to some other lights that supposedly have a higher output and this light compares well. The best thing about it is that it's small enough to always be with me.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »
If you love the E1L, take a look at the E1B Backup.  A hair more expensive, but you get almost twice the brightness on high, and about the same on low, all in a smoother form factor with a clip than can be used tip up or tip down.
Perfect for EDC.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:14 AM »
If you love the E1L, take a look at the E1B Backup.  A hair more expensive, but you get almost twice the brightness on high, and about the same on low, all in a smoother form factor with a clip than can be used tip up or tip down.
Perfect for EDC.
I like that too. You don't get very much runtime on the higher setting, but it would be a better tactical light than mine. I just like the E1L because of it's all-around usefulness. I also like that Surefire is just 10 minutes away, in case I ever have any problems. I've got a buddy at the police dept. that can get me 20% off.

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:12:10 AM »
NRA Member

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »
During the production of season one of The Best Defense, I did a presentation on the basics of choosing a tactical flashlight, as well as a crash course in defensive tactics using the light as an impact weapon. I'm not sure if it will all make it on the air (we shot a lot more material than the format of the show allows), but if it does, it's a nice primer.

To save you the suspense, in my opinion, a good tactical light for everyday carry should have the following attributes:

•   At least a 65-lumen output with a pre-focused beam
•   An impact-resistant bulb—either an LED or a shock-isolated incandescent bulb
•   Solid, high-quality construction that supports its use as an impact weapon
•   Ergonomics that allow a solid grip and effective management of impact shock when used as a striking tool
•   A large enough size to grasp firmly with at least a half-inch of the light protruding from each side of your fist
•   A small enough size to be conveniently carried
•   A pocket clip or carrier that allows an immediate access and draw
•   A tail-mounted switch that allows momentary actuation of the light

I personally don't feel that a crenulated or "strike" bezel adds much and, for an everyday carry item, may cause it to be scrutinized as a weapon rather than dismissed as a flashlight.

Beyond these characteristics, a lot of the decision process boils down to personal preference, personal experience with different brands, and your particular level of "geekdom" when it comes to lights.

Mounting a light on a weapon introduces a lot of other considerations. Fuel for further discussion...

Stay safe,

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk