Author Topic: CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters  (Read 29444 times)

FyreSarge

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »
First, if this has been covered, please feel free to direct me to the post.
Auto or revolver? .380, .38/9mm, higher?
 What are your opinions on calibers and holsters for concealed carry?
 I'm not asking what I should carry, but wanting ideas/opinions on what is popular and what is being carried. Opinions on the Ruger LCR, Kal-Tec PF9 and P3AT, and others.
Thanks in advance. 
Sarge

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
I'm sure that if you do a thread search there are too many threads to count and link to this topic.. I'll leave it to the more senior members to link you to the best thread.  None the less I'll bite. 

I carry and get along with great a Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 acp 7+1 and I purchased a Don Hume leather holster for it and it sits nicely in my pocket everywhere I go.  My Beretta happens to be the Stainless model whatever their fancy word for that is Inox or something anyway it has a slighly wider slide than my friends Blued counterpart.  I personally like the stainless model for there is less maintenence on it but the holster I bought was special made for it and you can not get the crimsion trace laser grips for it.  So there are drawbacks to this model but over all I'm very pleased with this gun keeping in mind it's capabilities

Jason

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »
There are many weapons covered. Anywhere between .22's to .44 magnums. As for .380's, I think Bersa, Ruger LCP, Magnum Research have been covered. If you are wanting any reviews by forum members, they are listed.

Ruger LCP's are really popular. Everyone has their own flavors and list their pro's and con's. Most advise to get what is comfortable for you. You will be using the weapon, not us.

Seems broad but I am sure others will have something to post.

My personal recommendations are Glocks or Smith and Wesson M&P's. I also have a Ruger LCP but pretty much carry a Glock 21SF .45 ACP most of the time. I have been trading in to make sure most of my weapons are .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Are you TRYING to start WW-III, or is just an added benefit ?  ;D Best thing is go a rent a bunch of both then find out which you shoot best and are most comfortable with.
No matter what ANY ONE recommends 3 people will say the caliber is to small, a couple more will say the gun is crap, and then some one will post that none of these people know what they are talking about the ONLY option is a (insert random brand, model, and caliber here)
For self defense I prefer .357 Mag,revolver or 1911 in .45 acp. because .22 isn't enough to trust your life to and those 2 calibers are the most common, (although .45 ammo costs more when you can find it) after that 9mm as it is the most common world wide. Of these 3 cartridges the newest is the .357 which dates back to the 30's, both 9mm and .45 ACP are over a 100 years old. the chances of surprises are pretty slim. Glocks are OK, the only VALID complaint is some people don't like the grip, hell with them, if you shoot it well it will grow on you like an ugly puppy, they seem to be the most indestructible brand on the market, points are awarded for going bang good looks aren't needed.
If you are looking for total concealment, something like a Kel Tec or Ruger LCR may be what you need, small size makes them difficult to shoot well but they can be carried covertly as opposed to simply concealed, DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE TO ANYTHING SMALLER THAN .380
That's just some general info, there are to many variables you have not mentioned to HONESTLY be any more specific.
As I said, try as many as you can, then compromise with comfort, (you need to carry ALL the time, ESPECIALLY when you think "oh I won't need THAT") conceal ability, (How will you carry it so it does not show but is still accessible) and shootability, (does you no good if you can't hit with it) when you settle all that then there are price considerations, can you afford a $3000 custom 1911 or are you limited to a $200 Hi Point. When you get a hand gun you MUST have a holster if you intend to carry it safely. once you have decided on equipment get professional training in SD, if you do not already know a REPUTABLE trainer ask at your local gun store, range and Police Dept.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
Tom has given good advice, as always. 

We have 4950 members which means you will probably get at least 4000 different opinions.  The remaining 950 members are us old guys who can't remember signing up twice or forgot our handles... ;D

Anyway, as Tom has already indicated, what works for you won't necessarily work for everyone.  Do your research and don't rush the decision.  Take your time and be comfortable with whatever you decide.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:28:54 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
Hello FyreSarge, welcome to DRTV, broad question for CCW, the answer is in your own personal experience. IMHO, I can carry a j-frame, just as easy as my PPK/S (when I get the da** thing back from S&W), or my Kel-Tec P3AT, which is a great pistol here in S. Florida. In our mild winters, with more clothes, jeans, jacket, etc,... M+P, or 1911,  works.

I only carry what I have tested with a variety of ammo, and even deliberately skip a cleaning and take it to the range "dirty" for any "issues"  or Quirks that my life may depend on.

Agree with the .380 limit, although as an ultimate "back up gun" to a primary, those tiny .22 Magnum revolvers, are better than nothing if your primary fails, or runs empty. ( just speaking from a hot climate ), if I lived in Northern Maine, or Alaska, it would be different.

Maybe provide a little about your exp. and there is a whole host of options. But it will always come down to your level of training, and applications.

Thanks again for posting.

Tom W.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
JSC, no offense, I was still typing when you posted, but I am leery of the effectiveness of .32 for a primary carry gun (if I ever buy a back up though it may be a Kel tec P-32) But It goes toward illustrating the rest of what I said

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
JSC, no offense, I was still typing when you posted, but I am leery of the effectiveness of .32 for a primary carry gun (if I ever buy a back up though it may be a Kel tec P-32) But It goes toward illustrating the rest of what I said

None taken... I agree it is a little light but I sure don't want to be hit by it.. There is going to be some level of "Shock" factor having a gun pointed back at you.. and I also forgot to mention depending on the attire of the day.. I am probably carrying the Beretta and my Full Size Walther P99 .40 but I never go anywhere without my Beretta.

Again.. Like Tim said.. there are nearly 5000 Members and 90% will have their opinion.  The .32 is more potent than most think though.. Sent my Speer Gold Dot's across the crono at 950 fps and energy is somewhere near there too.. I'm not a HERO but I do want something to fire back if the situation came around

Jason

FyreSarge

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Sorry, I may have put the mouth in gear before engaging the brain on this  :-[  For the record....I am not asking what I should carry  I just wanted to get opinions and info on what others are doing in the way of CCW. Also opinions on some of the smaller framed pistols/holsters.
 I know it is a wide open topic, but I'm a firefighter, not much of a writer. Thanks, and be safe.
Sarge

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
Personally?  Mostly a Para LTC in .45 acp with a "silent thunder" IWB from Tucker gun leather.  Sometimes a Springfield EMP in 9mm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk