Author Topic: What shot size for home defense?  (Read 30981 times)

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What shot size for home defense?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:01:21 AM »

Erusen

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »
I saw a video online here, sorry I can't find it right now the video page don't got it, where Mr. Pincus shot though several dry wall setups.  The wall simulators where set up, I believe, six deep, with each wall four or five feet apart.  The .45, .223, slug, and buck penetrated all or near every wall, but the #6 shot only went through one piece of sheet rock and stopped without going all the way through a single wall.  An obvious winner, it kept any extremely tight group tight group at a several yards out of a tactical shotgun.  It would be very destructive to any intruder in side the home and reduce the chance of over penetration.  Like the team said, soft tissue, face, eyes, lungs, heart, even if you don't have any mortal wounds on the first shot, your BG's going down with a half roll of quarters in lead going in him.  Follow up shots if you need to.  In my defense shot gun for home, I'm running 3" #6 magnums, turkey loads.  40 feet is only ten yards,  you should hold a tight group at that and be highly effective.  Yeah you want to shoot buck, but I'd play it safe with the family and use a round you know still won't let you down.  Reference this video for some ammo info, I found it very informative, they show the power of slug, buck, and bird shot, as well as some exotics.

You may consider prioritizing a load out, similar to LE, by first four rounds #6, and the last rounds using a heavy buck, in case you have to shoot through cover, such as heavy furniture or a vehicle.

Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievbU3xIYGQ

I agree (except with your feet to yards conversion :)). I like the turkey load for home defense, except I am set up with super magnums.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 09:34:04 AM »
Fuzdaddy, thanks for putting up that link, I've been looking for it since FQ first posted his boxotruth link. The boxotruth test is not valid as it does not simulate real world wall spacing so it does not allow for pellet dispersal or energy loss.

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »
OO and #1 buck for me. Birdshot may hurt him and if it penetrates nice it may kill them. OO and #1 Buck will stop them and kill them. Threat over. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
OO and #1 buck for me. Birdshot may hurt him and if it penetrates nice it may kill them. OO and #1 Buck will stop them and kill them. Threat over. 

Thats nice, I can do it with out putting my neighbors at risk.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:20:10 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
Tom
I think some of our disagreement here, which is purely technical, may be a lack of info on our situations. I live in a closely built (about 15 feet between houses) subdivision with cinder block exterior walls. For this, I feel comfortable with low recoil #4 buck, but not .556 or a slug. You mentioned in another thread that you lived on the second floor. By this, I'm assuming an apartment. Given this, your choice of #6 shot seems reasonable, as you can't risk penetrating dry wall. I think we both agree that we would rather lose a gun fight than shoot the neighbor's kid with a stray round. Its all driven by the environment. You do the best you can with what you've got.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »
Tom
I think some of our disagreement here, which is purely technical, may be a lack of info on our situations. I live in a closely built (about 15 feet between houses) subdivision with cinder block exterior walls. For this, I feel comfortable with low recoil #4 buck, but not .556 or a slug. You mentioned in another thread that you lived on the second floor. By this, I'm assuming an apartment. Given this, your choice of #6 shot seems reasonable, as you can't risk penetrating dry wall. I think we both agree that we would rather lose a gun fight than shoot the neighbor's kid with a stray round. Its all driven by the environment. You do the best you can with what you've got.
FQ13

In your situation I'd feel safe enough using OO, I have 2 layers of wood lathe and horsehair plaster between me and my neighbors, also, small rooms.

Timothy

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 07:50:05 PM »
Ask Kurt Cobain how deadly birdshot can be!!!

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »

Can't, I don't think they ever found his ears. ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
Some how I doubt the BG is going to let me put the muzzle in his mouth. ;)
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk