Author Topic: 1911 feeding issues  (Read 12193 times)

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 feeding issues
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:44:27 AM »
Okay, I'm sorry to bog down the forum with stupid 1911 questions that I'm sure have been beat to death. In preparation of picking up my new 1911 Friday I am curious the ideas out there for this. When I had my previous 1911 I had a significant issue with it feeding non-ball ammo. Primarily if I loaded my Wilson Combat mags to their normal capacity of 8 rounds the first and sometimes second round would jam. Typically the nose of the hollowpoint would wedge up agains the bottom of the chamber. It wouldn't nose dive exactly but would hit straight on at the bottom of the barrel. Last night I picked up a box of Critical defense, remembering the more rounded contour of the bullet itself.
I've used different brands of ammo in it and both the factory mags and the Wilsons produced the issue but are there any old tricks for dealing with stubborn feeding issues? I know each gun has it's favorite ammo and I probably just haven't tested enough different loads yet but this seems like something that should be an easy fix.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

BAC

Re: 1911 feeding issues
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
Don't talk to me about 1911 problems.  I've not been able to get through a box of ball without significant problems.  I'm waiting for it to be returned from SA.

As much as it pains me to say this, FQ was right.  I should have just bought the Glock instead.   :-[

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 878
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
Can't give you any advice.  I just took it out of the box and shot, shot, shot.  All types of factory and reloads, it just eats whatever I feed it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
I was just reading a review by Jeff Quinn about this particular model. Of course I had the older model several years ago from this manufacturer when they first started producing 1911. So it seems that the quality as a whole is considerably better now than it ever has been. I have some high hopes that this thing runs good. Other than the JHP issue on my old one I never really had any problems.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »
It maybe the angle of the feed ramp or the finish on the ramp. It could be the magazines, though I use Wilson Combats and the work fine in both my 1911s (SA & Kimber).

A decent gunsmith should be able to tell you for sure.

My Springfield is much more ammo sensitive than the Kimber.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:16:35 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Try loading the mag with only 7 rounds and see what happens.
Other wise I would second what Ratcatcher said, Have a gunsmith look at it.
A good fluff and buff treatment will probably solve the problem.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
Lock the slide to the rear on a 1911 and press the barrel to the rear and look at the relationship of the barrel throat and the feed ramp of the frame. There should be a ledge. The barrel should rest on the curved support surfaces of the frame. Look at the gap between the bottom edge of the feed ramp of the barrel and the forward edge of the feed ramp of the frame. This gap should be at least 1/32" and could be as much as 1/16". If there is a smaller gap than this, (or no gap at all), the chambering cartridge can and probably will hang up on the lower lip of the barrel’s ramp. That gap is absolutely crucial to smooth chambering. If you old 1911 that you had previously was hanging the bullet on the bottom of the barrel throat, someone had probably already removed too much of the ramp...or it was manufactured out of spec. A friend of mine had an old Llama 1911 that did that and the barrel throat had to be cut back.

As long as the above-mentioned "ledge" is there, and all surfaces are relatively smooth, and the gun is assembled properly, then most feeding issues can be traced to the magazine lips and/or follower.

JMHO, FWIW
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Polish the feed ramp.  My 1st advice is usually the magazine (or ammo), but I would about bet the farm it aint the Wilson mags fault. 
Life Member of the NRA

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »
Inquiring minds want to know:
- What brand was your old 1911?
- What brand/type is the new one?
- When are you going to be able to post pictures of it?

FWIW, The only feeding problems I have seen with any of the 1911s I've owned have been with .40 S&W.  All of my .45acp & 9mm have digested anything I cared to feed them. 

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »
I currently have 2 Colts and a WWII Ithaca. I have had magazines that did not work after a very long time in the Ithaca. All of the problem magazines were surplus government jobs with 200 grain lead SWC handloads. I have had good luck with Colt and MecGar magazines. I use only Colt magazines in my Commander. But I mix up which I use in the gold cup. BTW the Ithaca has a National Match barrel and bushing. No problems that I can recall from HP ammo. But I think you might be smart to use the Personal Defense ammo if it works for you. I have used Federal Hydra Shocks since 1981 for carry. But I did use ball ammo for the 23+ years I was on active duty. Say what you will that big 230 grain ball works -- I shot my first deer with it many years ago. The deer dropped in his tracks at about 75 yards with one shot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk