Author Topic: 9 MM 1911's ??  (Read 9762 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
9 MM 1911's ??
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »
Does anyone own and shoot one? I'm toying with the idea of getting one in the future, but I've heard they can be somewhat temperamental as far as ammo, and reliable functioning. Also I've heard they can be finicky with magazines. Springfield Armory makes a really nice Stainless model, and Rock Island Armory also makes them in a couple of different configurations.

The ammo cost is a big plus with them. For someone who really enjoys shooting a 1911, you can do a lot more of it in 9 MM, than with .45 ACP. It is also substantially cheaper to handload for. I've heard nothing but good about the Rock Island guns. Everyone I've talked to who owns one has nothing but praise for both the quality, as well as the functionability of them. Some people shy away from them because they are made in the Philippines, but many of the current line of Springfield 1911's are made in Brazil by Imbel.

Armscor who manufacturers the Rock Island Armory line is known as one of the top firearms manufacturers in the world. I have also heard that the Philippine Army is outfitted with 1911's built by Armscor. They sure as hell represent a fantastic value for the money. Most are priced in the high $300.00 range for the standard Mil-Spec version, to the mid $400.00 price point for the Tactical Models that have the goodies like a skeletonized hammer, and Novak sights.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone on the board has some 9 MM 1911 experience they could pass along, good or bad.  Bill T.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 9 MM 1911's ??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
I have a Para-Ordnance p-18.  I love it.  22 rds of 9mm if you put on the extended base plate.  It is one of the older guns but still has all the bells and whistles.  I have never had any reliability problems with it. With the current price of ammo and components it has become one of my go to guns when I hit the range. And 9mm in a full size steel 1911 makes for some fun shooting.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
Just about every manufacturer makes them.  I have two Kimber 9mm 1911s - a Tactical Pro II and a Target Custom II.  I run Kimber magazines in both of them and both have been flawless performs for me.  Both are more accurate than I am.  The only problem I've experienced so far has been with the Tactical Pro.  When I let other people at the range shoot it I almost have to threaten physical violence to get it back.   ;)

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
Bah Humbug !
The only real 1911 is a .45 ACP, and the only real .45 ACP is a 1911 !

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
Bah Humbug !
The only real 1911 is a .45 ACP, and the only real .45 ACP is a 1911 !

For the most part I agree......BUT, I would really like to have a Springfield EMP in .40.......just for deep concealment.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:40:47 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
For the most part I agree......BUT, I would really like to have a Springfield EMP in .40.......just for deep concealment.

Sacriledge  !!!!! If  St. John the Browning had wanted his pistol in freak calibers he would have designed it that way !!!!!!

;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »
Just to stir the pot a bit more Bill, what about a Browning High Power? If John Browning had wanted to make a 9mm......oh, wait, he did. ;)
And its a darn fine one too. My only beef is the mag disconnect safety. Other wise, pretty much what you'd get if you designed a 1911 for 9mm rather than trying to retro-fit one for a different caliber. Just sayin'. ;D
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »
Just to stir the pot a bit more Bill, what about a Browning High Power? If John Browning had wanted to make a 9mm......oh, wait, he did. ;)
And its a darn fine one too. My only beef is the mag disconnect safety. Other wise, pretty much what you'd get if you designed a 1911 for 9mm rather than trying to retro-fit one for a different caliber. Just sayin'. ;D
FQ13

Well, at least he started on it............   ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
FQ, just pop out 1 pin and the mag safety is disabled AND the Mags will drop free after that.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
Take a close look at the STI Spartan also.  I'm looking at the EMP in 9mm myself.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk