Author Topic: XS 24/7 tritium sights..  (Read 4311 times)

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
XS 24/7 tritium sights..
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
I put a set on the new 1911 and I HATE them..
I get "dotting the "i" but the front sight covers something the size of a human head, shoots WAY low and like the lower case "i", there is a space between the dot and the line it sits on. On top of that, the rear sight is so small that it's hard to see at a glance. Okay for a carefully aimed, not rushed shot, but not for a adrenaline dump..
It was recommended to me for "aging eyes". My eyes are indeed aging, but maybe I'm not old enough to appreciate this particular set up..
I'm in it for over a hundred Bucks, so they're on there. I don't like them though..
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: XS 24/7 tritium sights..
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
Maybe your eyes aren't aged enough...give them time  :D

I don't have a set on my 1911, but I do have a set on a G21 and G23. 

For me they are much quicker to get aligned than trying to "balance" the space aside the front sight in a standard sight.....both when in a hurry and for aimed shots...granted an aimed shot with XS sight won't be as pin point as with standard sights...

My XS sights on the Glocks, both of which have LaserMax guide rod LASERs installed, sight just below the laser dot.  The Glock LaserMax sights are not adjustable.

Not sure why they shoot low for you...   With the Glock, the XS sight comes with different height front sights for different models...perhaps to adjust for caliber/trajectory?

If you got the Big Dot front sight, perhaps the standard front might suit you better?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:42 AM »
If you got the Big Dot front sight, perhaps the standard front might suit you better?
Boy, I'll say!! At 30 feet, that front sight covers almost a whole heads worth of acreage..
The front sight is already cut and installed. It's not worth another hundred Bucks now.. I'm just gonna have to hate em now, or trade it for a Glock, one..  :o

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
Do you mean 30 yds?  At 30+ ft, my big dot covers a doorknob.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
I have some on my Glock 30 and I readily adapted to them. From others I talked to I would summarize them as either you like them or you don't; not much middle ground. One thing they are not designed for is the precision shooting you get with a good notch and post sight setup. They are made for getting on target in a hurry. I used them in Rob Pincus's "Combat Focus Shooting" class and I did fine with them until we got out to about 15 yards and I had to place the shot in a 2"X2" square. That's where I realized I need to practice. But for the standard 8" circle at 10 - 20 yards, I found them to be very good. YMMV.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:29:19 PM »

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
Do you mean 30 yds?  At 30+ ft, my big dot covers a doorknob.
It covers a CD at 11 yards. In order to hit the middle of the CD, (spray painted silhouette of a CD) I have to cover the thing up all the way to the top of it.. I can see the outside paint overspray of the CD, not the silhouette of the CD itself..
It is what it is.. I don't like it though.. I guess it's just not for me..
Maybe I'll trade it for a Glock..

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
As an alternative to the XS Sight, you might want to check out this one.  They are not as fast for me as the XS, but they are faster than notch and post and still allow precision shooting.  This link is for a Glock compatible one, but I'd guess they are available for other brands too.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=11&CAT=221

For anyone interested, here is their link:

http://www.advantagetactical.com/store.htm

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 01:43:31 AM »
There's actually a German outfit (I think) that makes handguns just up the road a ways here in AL. that uses that kind of sight.
Can't remember the name..Steyr, maybe?

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 05:51:31 AM »
There's actually a German outfit (I think) that makes handguns just up the road a ways here in AL. that uses that kind of sight.
Can't remember the name..Steyr, maybe?

I have a pair for my G21 and they did fine, but, for me, they seemed slower or to require more detail attention to get on target than the XS sights on my G23...so i got a pair of the XS for the G21.

Might just be that I'm slowing down, but with notch and post and the Advantage sights, I felt I had to be thinking about sight alignment to get all the spaces and angles set right and, while the front sight is where your focus should be, it is not where your train of thought should be.  The XS just seemed to get on target more 'automatically' compared to the others.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »
I'm not a fan of the XS sights personally... but I think you are missing the idea.  Just focus on the front and ignore the rear for fast shots. 

For precise shots you start getting into why I don't like them, but you can almost use it like a bow's pin sight with practice.
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk