Author Topic: 1911 help  (Read 24405 times)

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 help
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
I realize this is like asking which is the best truck, beer, or potato chip, as brand loyalty influences a lot of our opinions.  Also, this question has probably been asked on this forum a thousand times, but I want a new 1911 style handgun.  So far, in my gun collection, I have only "plastic" guns as far as auto loaders go.  I would prefer to keep the cost under $1500, if possible.  Any extravegant upgrades I prefer to have done to my specification anyway.  I will probably stick with my polymer frames and revolvers for carry duty, so this piece will mostly be for range work.  With this in mind, accuracy and ease of customization (mil. spec.?, parts availability / fit... could eventually become comp. gun) are of much more importance than compact size.  Any help from you gun "gurus", as always, is much appreciated.

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: 1911 help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:57 PM »
I have 3 Para .45s. 2 SA and 1 LDA. All 3 are double-wides. I don't know anyone who's shot an LDA and not been impressed. The Limited models are semi-custom, competition ready, and under $1,300 list price. Actual prices will be closer to $1,000.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
Under that price is way do able, I suggest a single stack Government model. Several for under 700.00 and you can customize it and keep making it better. Get the original design, if you like the system go on from there and add to your arsenal. (Armscore) RIA. hint , hint  ::)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »
Look for an older Colt Series 70 not the newer version.  Add the mods you want.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »
As a 1911 fanatic friend says: "The 1911 is an instrument, everything else is just a tool."  The more I shoot them the more I come around to his way of thinking.

And there are so may derivations to collect/choose from.  So many guns - so little money.

I have 1911s from S&W and Kimber.  I have 1911 derivations (read 9mm) from Para, Springfield and Kimber.  Asking me which one I prefer is like asking a parent which child he prefers.  The 9mms see more range time just out of pure economics.  They are all great shooters and worst problem I have encountered with any of them was a problem with one magazine that would cause slide to not lock back after the last round.

If you are looking for a range/home defense weapon go with a government model.  You can get an excellent weapon well with your specified budget and have money left over for some custom grips and leather.

Let us know what you finally decide.  Pictures would be even nicer.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:14:00 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:12:05 PM »
  I would prefer to keep the cost under $1500, if possible.  Any extravegant upgrades I prefer to have done to my specification anyway.

Hello Swoop. for spec 1911's for that range of price, thereabouts, I have one suggestion,..

http://www.lesbaer.com/1911s.html

"The quiet company,..." Of 1911's,  ;D ;D

Hope you find "the one".
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

RGJOHNS

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
I have 3 Para .45s. 2 SA and 1 LDA. All 3 are double-wides. I don't know anyone who's shot an LDA and not been impressed. The Limited models are semi-custom, competition ready, and under $1,300 list price. Actual prices will be closer to $1,000.
i thought that I had already had posted a message.. I have two para's with a third on it's way. 1 SA and it will be two LDA's I have liked the para's very much shoot them every chance I can. I don't think you would be disapointed if this is yous choice. I also have a KImber which is a good gun also but carry the para LDA. watchman. All of my 1911 were in the $800.00 or below range.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
Wow! What a snake pit! I'm almost afraid to answer this...oh, what the heck!

1) A single-stack steel-framed full size Para, maybe the SSP ($900). My choice would be an LDA, but if you don't have a traditional SA, that's where you should start.

2) An S&W GUNSITE Edition .45, Commander length with a Scandium frame ($1280).

3) An STI Spartan ($660), no frills and better than it has any right to be, or a Taurus PT1911 ($711)...teh advantage of buying low is that you've got a few bucks to get them just like you want them.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:38 AM »
Bare bones, no bells or whistles around $400 dollars,  basically the exact same pistol that was issued to the US armed forces. Rock Island Armory (made by Armscor ) distributed by www.sarco.com. This is the first 1911 that I have been willing to trust with my life. I have carried it EVERY day for the last year and a half, I have about 1500 rounds through ball ammo and JHP's 0 problems, every time I have pulled the trigger it has gone BOOM, and I can hold a fist size group at 25 yards. They also offer a wide body model, with your budget you could have both.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:55 AM »
If you want to spend 1500... les bear is where you want to go.

If you want to spend less then a grand, get yourself a colt.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk