Author Topic: 1911 Extractors  (Read 7583 times)

TSB

1911 Extractors
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
Question!

Is S&W the only pistol maker still using external extractors on their 1911 pistols?  If so, why?   The overwhelming majority has stayed (or returned to) the internal type.  I've a PARA with the PXT and have never had a round FTF or FTE yet. 

While on active duty, I don't believe I ever had a problem with an Colt 1911A1 either.  I guarantee those guns probably had fewer than 100 rounds through them before we got to play with 'em!  My daughters "Meathead" had a heck of time with his Smith today!  It does shoot straight, when it shoots!

Tim

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: 1911 Extractors
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:02:44 PM »
Why? It's CHEAP to make! There's less machining, and the extractor itself is basically a piece of stamped out sheet metal. I believe I saw another 1911 clone with an external extractor but can't remember what kind it was. I also heard that dirt gets into them easier since there's so much exposed. My experience with non-1911s with external extractors backs that up. Some guns will have problems if they get a grain of sand in there. It more of a PITA to pull the extractor off and clean it out too.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
Llama has external extractors. My Kimber BP Ten II has one. (They're a PITA to take out, but a little easier to get back into place right.)
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

TSB

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:15:38 AM »
Yea, they would be cheaper to fabricate but S&W is one of the priciest out of the box models on the market.  Personally, I've never been a fan of their autoloader line of guns.  I suppose there is an arguement for both designs but when your paying a grand for a supposed "quality" firearm, I would expect a little more.

Walt,

Llama ain't around any more, they went OOB in 1999 and all due respect to your Kimber, like my PARA, it's a basic pistol with no frills..... 

Tim

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:51:43 AM »
I think the external extractors are much easier in the manufacturing process...much less hand work! Of course, the whole Kimber "experience" external extractors was a huge cluster-F, but I have never had a bit of trouble with my S&W GUNSITE 1911 and I have put a lot of rounds through it.

Given my druthers, though, I'm with TSB...I'll take a Para (and when we finish the Para Michael Bane/SHOOTING GALLERY Signature 1911, I guarantee you it will NOT have an external extractor!).

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:02:58 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:11:32 AM »
OK, for us idiots can some explain or better yet post pictures of internal and exteral extractors?  That way if I look at a 1911 style I'll know what I'm looking at.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TSB

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
An external extractor is the small flat bar behind and below the ejection port on the slide.  A gun with an internal extractor will have nothing visible.  The design of the two are completely different.

Here's a picture of a S&W, if I attached it correctly.

t

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
Thanks TSB!  This means my little KelTek P3AT has an external extractor, too.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TSB

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:44:05 AM »
Exactly Right! 

There is nothing wrong with the design, if the materials and workmanship are primary consideration, it should work.  I had a Beretta 92FS back in my youth and It worked fine if it was kept clean.  You'll find that design more than the internal I would expect.

T

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:07:09 AM »
Yea, they would be cheaper to fabricate but S&W is one of the priciest out of the box models on the market.  Personally, I've never been a fan of their autoloader line of guns.  I suppose there is an arguement for both designs but when your paying a grand for a supposed "quality" firearm, I would expect a little more.

Walt,

Llama ain't around any more, they went OOB in 1999 and all due respect to your Kimber, like my PARA, it's a basic pistol with no frills..... 

Tim

I know they aren't. And I'm telling you, My BP Ten does NOT have the traditional 1911 type extractor. I know some of them did have this, but mine has an external extractor that doubles as a Loaded Chamber Indicator. I'm not bashing external extractors, and CERTAINLY Not bashing Kimber. It's an excellent gun. But at first the external extractor confused me when I took the gun apart.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk