Author Topic: 1911 Magazines - 7 or 8 rounders?  (Read 24108 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: 1911 Magazines - 7 or 8 rounders?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:37:17 PM »
I only used Colt 7-round mags for my Series 80 and had no problems. I sold it to a friend and he bought an aftermarket POS 15-rounder for it that jammed all the time. I think 10 rounds is as high as you should go on extended mags.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:44:07 AM »
What do you guys recommend?

GO!

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

I am starting to build a 1911 from scratch next month so I have put a bit of research in mags and grips.  I have found a mag that I feel is the best for my needs from Tripp Research (formerly of STI).  This guy has put a lot of effort into making the ultra reliable 1911 mag.  Here's the web site.  

http://www.trippresearch.com/

Hope it helps!

Scott
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »
I have had Wilson mags since they first came out as 7 rounders over 20+ years ago.  When the conversion units came out I changed all of them to 8 rounders.  Also have a couple Shooting Star (McCormick) 8 rounders.  I used them in practice during good weather and matches whenever.  They are like the Energizer Bunny with good ammo (sometimes my reloads are not so good!).  I also have a Wilson and McCormick for my carry gun (a lightly modified Colt Officers ACP).  They are 7 rounders instead of 6 like factory mags.  I have and will continue to stake my life and the lives of others on them.  I cannot speak for the Novak or Tripp.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TSB

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »
Seems that you have enough opinions but I'll add my 2 cents.

I have a Para and the two 8 round mags that came with it work like butter.  I've a couple thousand rounds through these mags and no problems at all.  My daughters man-meat had a S&W with stock Wilson mags and bought two more of the ETM mags and two McCormick mags and has had nothing but problems with the gun.  Sent it to S&W, they determined that their gun was not the problem and did nothing...sent it back with two more Wilson mags and the problems persisted.  Since he no longer trusted that gun, he got rid of it because Smith didn't want to fix whatever was wrong with the mags or the clunker of a gun he had....

All of the Wilson mags he bought work fine in my Para so for the time being, I have access to several new Wilson mags (great mags) as well as my stock Para mags.  I don't know what to make of the these problems and I don't know if Para makes their own mags.  It's obvious that S&W does not. 

Best bet, try what ever comes with the particular gun you buy and if they work, don't try and fix what ain't broke.....Don't fall into what I call the "fishing lure" syndrome where most fishing lures sold are meant to catch the fisherman and not the fish!

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
The Glock 21 holds 13 rds of .45 ACP  ;)

Oh, and then there is also this:

25 rounds!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:00:38 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »
Pretty much all been said already, but here's my two pennies:

Been using the standard Wilson 8 rounders for 15+ years. No problems.
Bought a couple of Shooting Star 10's and they will not function at full capacity. They work fine with 8 or less in them.
The two 8 rounders that came with my Springfield have so far been reliable.
Factory Colt 7 rounders have always worked fine.

I will stick with the Wilson's for self protection.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
The Glock 21 holds 13 rds of .45 ACP  ;)

Oh, and then there is also this:

25 rounds!

you can get 50 round 1911 mags....   :P
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »
Now I feel under-gunned with only 15 and 20 round mags for my Paras.  ;)  The 15s only extend a fraction of an inch below the frame like most single-stack 8-round mags, so I have 7 extra rounds in the same size package. The 20's are competition legal 170 mm (6.7"). When I wanted more than 7 rounds in the mag I got a Para and sold the Colt. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »
a 8 round mag should not extend past the butt on a full size frame ( gov/ commander)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
a 8 round mag should not extend past the butt on a full size frame ( gov/ commander)

Maybe they shouldn't but a lot of them either have rubber bumpers or plastic base plates that do extend, like these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk