Author Topic: #315 Yes I'm raising my hand for not being a motorcycle guy  (Read 12069 times)

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I probably will never be a motorcycle guy, mainly because I tend to like mountain biking more.  Are there tips for drawing and breaking that you could suggest?  We have cats that go through the Maah Daah Hey trail.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Timothy

Re: #315 Yes I'm raising my hand for not being a motorcycle guy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
Motorcycles rear brakes are foot operated!

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
Motorcycles rear brakes are foot operated!
Yeah but I don't do motorcycles, why I was asking about mountain biking drawing tips.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »
Yeah but I don't do motorcycles, why I was asking about mountain biking drawing tips.

Use a bike with coaster brakes?  ;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
DR,

How much trouble would it be to switch the brake cables so your left hand controls the rear brake in stead of the front?  It would take some getting used to but probably easier than carrying a side arm on your weak side (left)! 

Thoughts?

T

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:41:34 PM »

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:20:01 AM »
DR,

How much trouble would it be to switch the brake cables so your left hand controls the rear brake in stead of the front?  It would take some getting used to but probably easier than carrying a side arm on your weak side (left)! 

Thoughts?

T
Interesting idea, the problem comes with braking on hills.  Going down you brake on the font more.  The problem is I'm one of the two here that actually would confront this hahaha

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
Interesting idea, the problem comes with braking on hills.  Going down you brake on the font more.  The problem is I'm one of the two here that actually would confront this hahaha

Not necessarily the only two!  I'm researching bikes now so your opinion matters to me!

T

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
Did some searches and found a video that recommended using a fanny pack carried in front for a holster.

They showed the fanny pack in use.  It takes two hands to draw...some how I think they are missing something.

Don't know how practical this would be, but the theoretical answer would be to have dual controls for one of the brakes on the weak hand side, arranged so either brake can be operated with the weak hand.

If that just won't work the only way to go is to use an eye-tracking mount for the gun so it points where you are looking and have the "trigger" mounted on each of the grips.   ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »
Did some searches and found a video that recommended using a fanny pack carried in front for a holster.

They showed the fanny pack in use.  It takes two hands to draw...some how I think they are missing something.

Don't know how practical this would be, but the theoretical answer would be to have dual controls for one of the brakes on the weak hand side, arranged so either brake can be operated with the weak hand.

If that just won't work the only way to go is to use an eye-tracking mount for the gun so it points where you are looking and have the "trigger" mounted on each of the grips.   ;D
Solus, I carry at 3 with a DSG holster since I've gone to riding at night and mounting a TRL-1 on my .45.  (I'm waiting for a Conservative Creek holster for my Sig1911).  Upto this point I had been running Sherpa holsters because I have gone over the handle bars with them and the pistol stays put.

the dual controls is an interesting idea I would like to test it on someone else's bike first. 

I do love the eye tracking mount idea though

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
You know, we decided to do mountain/road biking self-defense issues for the next season of THE BEST DEFENSE because we get so many requests. I carry with a SafePacker velcro'ed on the handlebars of both my road and mountain bike, set up for right-hand draw. The advantage of the SafePacker system is that it's easy to pop if off the handlebars and carry it with you when you get off the bike. SafePackers come in multiple sizes (and an assortment of colors) so you can fit them to your everyday carry gun.

Worst case, I've carried a Kel-Tec .32 slipped into the left leg of my biking shorts. Two years ago I was doing one of the 3-peak Clorado road rides and was just getting ready to start the last climb, from Vail to Copper Mountain when one of the bystanders said, "Hey aren't you Michael Bane?" Amazing, since after 70 or so miles I looked like old hammered crap. I said yeppers and he immediately said, "I thought you always carried a gun?" I pointed at the lump in the left leg of my bike shorts, and he said, "well, I'll be damned!"

The gun gets sweaty, but hey, it's plastic!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk