Author Topic: Beginning Enthusiast  (Read 4378 times)

Grasshoppa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beginning Enthusiast
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
I've recently began taking on the responsibilities of being an armed citizen. I've been following and catching up on the podcasts, watching The Best Defense and following links of sponsors learning all that I can.
My questions are:
How can a person making under $10,000 per year expand their knowledge and training on such a limited budget?
and
How can I find local shooting competitions? I hear of all these great contests, but I can't find any. All I can find are endless lists gun clubs with memberships $100 and up.

tombogan03884

Re: Beginning Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
To expand your knowledge you have come to the right place .
Ask questions , there is a lot of collective knowledge and it covers every form of shooting .
Check out the video archive, there are several "beginner" videos on concealed carry and dry fire practice .
also most of the major shooting schools have online videos and DVD's.
To find competitions in your area try asking at the local ranges .

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:37 PM »
Welcome!  Shooting can be a fun sport on a low budget with 22 cal and local ranges that you may be able to visit with a friend who is a member.  Any hints on your location, you might get some good ideas from forum members who know your part of the country.  There is a lot of great advice on this forum and it is free!  I have learned a lot and hopefully you can get some good pointers and advice on the best way to enjoy shooting.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
Welcome... we're glad you're here.  In addition to all of the great stuff here at DownRange, you may want to check out GunTalkTV.

https://www.guntalk.tv/site.php

They have dozens and dozens of videos oriented toward shooters of all skill levels.  Many of the videos are free to view and the others are offered by subscription - $5.95 a month for unlimited access.  Watch for just a few months or stay longer because new videos are added on a regular basis.

As for competitions, here are some links to explore:

For NRA competitions: http://competitions.nra.org/
For IDPA: http://www.idpa.com/
For the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation: http://www.gssfonline.com/

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:32:59 AM »
Welcome.   It's tough on a tight budget.  I use to scrounge to buy reloading components when I first started off.  50 Rounds a month was a lot of ammo for me then.

I'm assuming pistol competition.

GSSF (if you're shooting Glocks) does list ALL their matches, both outdoor and indoor.

Besides IDPA, look at USPSA.Org  https://uspsa.org
And if you're into revolvers look up ICORE

The NRA web site isn't much help and can be very frustrating.  Mostly you'll find a list of affiliated clubs.  Some don't even list their web sites, just an email (and sometimes just a mailing address)  it's not that the clubs don't have a web site, it's just the NRA is a little slow in adapting.

The whole paradigm has shifted.  It use to be "The Club" was the thing and it sponsored all the matches.  Now most matches are sponsored by independent shooting organizations that use (or rent) the club's range.   I shoot at fancy ranges all the time and am not a member.  But I am a member/associate of the shooting group (IDPA, USPSA, GSSF, etc).

What you need to do is a web search on local ranges and clubs.   From their web sites you can find out the shooting competitions they are holding.  Don't be put off by the club's membership requirements.  Most of them don't require you to join their club to shoot in a sanctioned match.  Some of the competition organizations do however.  You must join GSSF to shoot.  And IDPA allows only one match as a guest (but you could visit several different ranges and probably get away with several.)   

And while it's not the same adrenalin, you can shoot some of the course of fires on your own.  GSSF Indoor League and NRA Practical (on half size targets) are easily doable by yourself. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:50:08 AM »

Grasshoppa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome and valuable information.  I will definitely follow up on the information you all have provided. I live in the Ozarks, SW Missouri area, any information about this area would also be appreciated. You are correct alfsauve, I only have pistols at the moment: Sig SP2022 9mm and Walther PK380.
Thanks again.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk