Author Topic: Hiking with handguns  (Read 14841 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hiking with handguns
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
After the DNR guy stopped me I read the little regulations book more closely and had found where it say's only one weapon may be carried.  I remember it being in an area talking about nobody being under 18 being able to hand gun hunt, some regulations concerning CCW's, and other crap that prevented my daughter from using the Mark III.   ::)  Stupid laws.  The pistol was perfect for her.

Overload, NICE GUN!   Posting the picture is an evil tease!!!   ;)

Badger,  I went back and read the hunting regulations manual and couldn't find anything in it for only one gun.  I spoke with a lieutenit in the LE division of the DNR.  The only time you can't carry more than one gun afield is for waterfoul hunting.  I did not discuss if that applied to CCW when waterfoul hunting or about minors being present.  I can find nothing in the CCW regulations that limits you to only one gun.  Since you said you were squirrel hunting I assume that the DNR officer that warned you didn't know the law.  Now if your minor daughter was carring the handgun that is a violation as minors are not allowed to handgun hunt.     
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
The tough part comes when you're using a pack or hydration system, and you've got to work the gun around all those straps. The chest holster we showed in THE BEST DEFENSE is actually an excellent choice (it's my holster). I just got my Survival Sheath System S&W 329 shoulder holster, and I'll probably wear it when we go hiking this weekend (in snow up to my butt, I might add).

Overload, I applaud your commitment to weird guns! I have a 3-screw Blackhawk in .30 Carbine with a short barrel...noise alone is fatal to most living organisms. I love it to death. I say give that sucker a little TLC (and maybe some kind of metal finish on the frame to throttle back the galling that was endemic with those guns) and haul that beast into the woods. I think maybe a vertical shoulder holster might work the best with a long slide gun like the Automag, maybe a Bianchi X15.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
The tough part comes when you're using a pack or hydration system, and you've got to work the gun around all those straps. The chest holster we showed in THE BEST DEFENSE is actually an excellent choice (it's my holster). I just got my Survival Sheath System S&W 329 shoulder holster, and I'll probably wear it when we go hiking this weekend (in snow up to my butt, I might add).

Overload, I applaud your commitment to weird guns! I have a 3-screw Blackhawk in .30 Carbine with a short barrel...noise alone is fatal to most living organisms. I love it to death. I say give that sucker a little TLC (and maybe some kind of metal finish on the frame to throttle back the galling that was endemic with those guns) and haul that beast into the woods. I think maybe a vertical shoulder holster might work the best with a long slide gun like the Automag, maybe a Bianchi X15.

Michael B

How short, MB?  Was it factory or custom?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 08:04:02 AM »
3-screw Blackhawk in .30 Carbine with a short barrel   NICE!  Is the accuracy compareable to other short revolvers?  I'd guess 4" is about as short as you'd dare go, and keep the hair on your knuckles.  ;D

"Up to 4' of snow"!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Snow-falls-Colo/ss/events/us/092209coloradosnow#photoViewer=/091029/480/3c6b7f7627c24f07bb16ddc1a491cbc9

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »
Overload, I applaud your commitment to weird guns!
This made me think, and I have a few weird guns: Browning BDM- able to be switched between DAO and Double/Single action; Benelli M3- can switch it from pump to semi auto; HK P7- squeeze cocker.  I had a Judge, but sold it.

I wonder what that says about me?
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:44:08 PM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »
I will be hiking this weekend with my Glock 26. I will simply be using a paddle holster and an untucked Henley shirt that is very baggy. Technically, I have to remain concealed, but we will be out in the middle of no where so there really should be no problem. I will also be packing an IWB holster incase there are more day hikers then expected or incase it gets hot in the afternoon and I need "deep concealment".

I will be carrying a 40 lb pack on the hike in and out, and I will still be using the paddle holster for that. If you actually talk to the folks that work at the backpacking shops they will tell you that those straps on the pack are actually not supposed to to go around your waist, but rather higher up near the bottom of your rib cage. This works out to be just above the holstered gun and with a baggy shirt it leaves just a small bulge that is really of no mind to anyone passing you on the trail. I think the paddle holster is one of the most comfortable ways to carry for an extended time when hiking/camping, and it is what I think is the most comfortable way to conceal carry while carrying a large pack.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 08:16:02 PM »
Our hunting rules are clear that their rules take precedent over CCW.  That means your CCW piece needs to be legal for the game, season, and tag.  No CCW during bow season.

Carrying with a pack depends on the pack.  ericire12 is right that a hip belt is supposed to be on your HIPS and shouldn't interfere with a lower riding paddle or belt holster--more of an open carry holster than a CC one.  Truth is it isn't always that simple. 

"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 11:55:32 PM »
Our hunting rules are clear that their rules take precedent over CCW.  That means your CCW piece needs to be legal for the game, season, and tag.  No CCW during bow season.

Carrying with a pack depends on the pack.  ericire12 is right that a hip belt is supposed to be on your HIPS and shouldn't interfere with a lower riding paddle or belt holster--more of an open carry holster than a CC one.  Truth is it isn't always that simple. 

Odd. What stateare you in? In Fl. and Tx. CCW trumps the hunting regs, though I would rather explain a 9mm or .38 vs a .44 mag during bow season :-\. Again though, carrying concealed has its advantages. Stick the thing in the pocket of your cargo pants or in an IWB and no should know its there.
FQ13
FQ13

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
Kansas.  There also are very specific rules on valid handgun rounds.  357, 44, and 45 Colt are the only common handguns legal.

I know plenty of the wardens, most would probably let a CCW slide during rifle season, but you better not get caught with a CCW and a bow.
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
In NH most bow hunters carry a pistol for the "Coup de grace", rather than waiting for the downed animal to die on it's own.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk