Author Topic: bullet pullers or how to fix an oops  (Read 12528 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bullet pullers or how to fix an oops
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
I got about $50 round of 30-06 that have a bit more powder than I think they might ought to

so how to fix 'em

I hear the whack-a-mole ones are a pain

RCBS and Lyman make pullers that look good - I see the Forseter Super fast looks great but is discontinued

what do folks think?
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: bullet pullers or how to fix an oops
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
I started pulling bullets with the RCBS impact puller but and became frustrated with the tedious job.

I purchased the RCBS press mounted collet puller but found it was even more difficult to use.

With the impact puller, no grip on the bullet is required.....just tighten on the case and whack away.

With the collet type it does require a good grip on the bullet and I found that, with the RCBS model, this was difficult to obtain easily without damaging the bullets. 

I've stuck with the impact puller since then. 

I've never tried the Forester and my experience with the RCBS model was 25 years ago, so there may have been improvements.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:26:26 AM »
Impact is the absolute simplest. You just have to whack it like you mean it.
No tap tap tap, WALLOP that sucker. It's a hammer, use it like one.   

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:17:34 AM »
Whack-a-bullet, is the cheapest.    It also doesn't damage the bullet.   Yes it's slow, but hey that's what they make TV for, to numb your mind while you disassemble 50 rounds.

Like Tom said, find a really hard surface (concrete basement floor) and really whack it.   I then dump powder and bullet into a tray and separate them when I've done.

If you don't have a concrete floor, then the anvil part of a really heavy vice would work nicely.  Wood surfaces give too much.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Frosty

• Top Forum Member
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
Now a days in the modern technology age, sometimes the simplest non-tech stuff works the best ;). I use the whack-a-mole approach (RCBS impact puller) because it works & works very well without damaging the bullet. As everyone else has said - whack that mother.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.”  H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun,  July 26, 1920.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:45:55 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
I have a better solution...

use your scale.

if you know about what the  primed case wieghts , what the bullet wieghts and what the powder charge should be/ you think it is...

granted if this is a small over charge, this method won't work.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
I have a better solution...

use your scale.

if you know about what the  primed case wieghts , what the bullet wieghts and what the powder charge should be/ you think it is...

granted if this is a small over charge, this method won't work.

no they've got 54.1 gr of 2520 - max is 51.0 so we're looking a 6% over charge - I suspect I could get away with just shooting it but not worth the risk

lesson learned wear my !@#$ bi-focals when using the beam scale

[insert own old person joke here]
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
Let's start at the beginning.

First, the hammer type bullet pullers are inertia pullers. They use Newtons law of motion. Second, they will damage the bullet nose when it hits bottom. Third, if you have a lot of bullets to pull they are a serious pain. Fourth, I've had one and used it for more years and more bullets than I care to count.

Now the press mounted collet type pullers. They are NOT hard to set up just follow the directions. (I know, I just lost all my at-a-boys.) If used correctly they only put minor scratches on the bullet. You only have to put enough pressure on the bullet to get it out of the case and remember when the bullet exits the barrel it is all scratched up anyway. These are much faster and cleaner to use. The bullet is in the collet and the powder is still in the case. The only down side is you must have a collet for each bullet diameter (22, 24 30 etc.).

Now having said all that, if you only have a few bullets to pull (a dozen or so) use the inertia puller. If you have a bunch to pull use a collet type. That's what I do and it works for me.

Hope this helps, Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:21:22 AM »
Second, they will damage the bullet nose when it hits bottom.

Never had a bullet damaged by a whack-a-mole.  Mine is padded at the bottom.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
I once pulled a few hundred with the inertia puller.  It does take a nice hard surface and good thump.  I don't know of any bullets that were damaged doing this, but then I am pulling FMJ bullets.  I suppose that maybe the plastic tipped ones could possibly be harmed..

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk