Author Topic: Glock looking to expand GA facilities  (Read 1794 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Glock looking to expand GA facilities
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
... But the locals are "up in arms"  ;D

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/residents-gun-company-at-582366.html
A land battle with fire power has erupted in Smyrna.

Residents living adjacent to buildings owned by gun manufacturer Glock Inc. are challenging the company’s request to encroach on the city’s required stream buffer necessary for future expansion.

A City Council hearing on the issue is scheduled for Monday night.

Under the proposal, Glock would clear out and level 25 acres of heavily wooded land on a portion of its property that lies behind an existing company building on Highlands Parkway. To do that, the company needs to work within the area running around a porter of streams that is usually protected to preserve the environment.

The city’s planners have recommended approval of Glock’s requests, with some added requirements, including having an oversight committee review all landscape plans. Planners also recommended the company provide a crossing guard in one of the adjacent neighborhoods in the morning and afternoon for children crossing the street that will be used by Glock traffic.

Despite the planners’ recommendations, residents strongly oppose the stream request for its potential environmental damage, as well as the proximity of the construction area to their homes. Both sides have gone back and forth on the issue for about three months.

“I think the business they will be doing shouldn’t be done next to a residential development,” said Steve Balyo, a resident of the neighborhood next to Glock’s existing building and adjacent to the land that the company would clear.

Although the land Glock purchased is zoned light industrial, Balyo said, the road to access the land is the same road his neighborhood is off. “I don’t understand how [city planners] could allow homes to go in and not rezone the land.”

Calls to Glock’s attorney on the case were not returned.

The issue has been pushed back on the council’s agenda twice to allow residents and company representatives to hash out concerns, Smyrna Mayor Max Bacon said.

“The most emotional issue that comes before us is property owners and what will be built around them and how it will impact their property,” Bacon said. “We don’t have much contact with Glock, they are pretty quiet. But anytime you have someone who manufactures guns, there will be some concern.”

Councilman Pete Wood, who represents the area, is withholding his decision until the company presents its entire plan Monday night.

“I do know we have given a lot of thought to the environmental impact [of the request],” Wood said. “I think it’s one of those situations where someone may look at it one way and someone may look at it another way.”
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
Re: Glock looking to expand GA facilities
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »
I swear I posted an update this morning.    Getting senile.   Wonder where I posted it?  Pink Pistols? ? ?

Smyrna council approved.

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/8981628/article-Glock-expansion--draws-heat-from--Smyrna-residents?instance=home_news_bullets
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk