Author Topic: I'm Afraid Tom Was Right  (Read 12784 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: I'm Afraid Tom Was Right
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
I've been here 10 years today and don't plan on going anywhere. I didn't even know I had a computer that long, but I remember coming here because there was a gun giveaway. I signed up and liked what I saw on the forum. This is actually the only gun forum I'm a member of and I don't like Facebook. If I'm not out of town I'm usually on here early afternoon and again in the wee hours of the morning before I go to bed. Sometimes I'm on here more often than that.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
Thoughts...

I'm a pretty decent guy, lived hard, partied much, loved a few, married the "ONE" and have hundreds of friends who don't live anywhere near me.  I'm not one to take friendship lightly, in fact, I've been known to do more for people I've just met than for acquaintances who've known me for a while, simply because of my ability to filter through the bullshit of daily life.  Not that I'm judgmental but rather, that I'm a good judge of character.

I've known men and women for decades whom I haven't talked to in years and can take up a conversation with them as if we just discussed it yesterday.  Anyone who's spent time in the military or in some desolate or remote place can relate to that as we humans rely on each other whether we admit to it or not.  You have become part of that community that I can say anything, anytime on any topic and be understood!

I've found a place, though my wife thinks you're all probably crazy loons like me, that I can call my comfort zone, a place where my thoughts, though extreme in some respect, can be taken in context and not judged by any societal boundaries.  My happy place and your happy place coexist in this forum.  We may bicker and sling a bit of poo-poo, but we always seem to come to the center of our universe which, I believe, is to put others needs above the needs of ourselves, to put the countries best interest in line with our own existence.

Family, Friends, Countrymen, Brethren.....thanks for being what and who you are!

Not much has changed since I posted this 7 years ago!

Our ranks are fewer, sadly...

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »
I agree with all of you...the friendships here are fantastic.
I know NJ is not on anyone's travel list, but you're all always welcome.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 12:45:15 AM »
I agree with all of you...the friendships here are fantastic.
I know NJ is not on anyone's travel list, but you're all always welcome.

I went to a concert with the wife last night in our small town, and I sat there wondering if we could get Bluebone to a concert in one of the local events.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2017, 12:53:01 AM »
With the talk of longevity I went an checked myself out.  October 3, 2007, must have been a show night, because there were a lot of us that signed up that night.  Page five is where I fall in, and there are a couple of you regulars still ahead of me in time.  Then I went and checked out number of posts, and I am number five on that list.  Most ahead of me no longer play here.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 01:45:50 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 577
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2017, 06:37:51 AM »
Mike you made me check up on when I got in.  Mostly because I couldn't remember when the sweepstakes occurred for that really cool blue 10/22 with the practically unheard of TacSol barrel and wicked looking stock. 

When I got the call on Thanksgiving from MB that I had won it I answered the call from the "strange number" in a guardedly hostile way (guardedly hostile...I like that).  I'm surprised he didn't hang up on me and give it to someone else.  I remember when we shot it out at USSA.  Know what....there is still probably less that 200 rounds though that thing...I don't want to shoot it out!  It's too purty. 

I wonder if those pics are still in photobucket? 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »

4/2/2008  and it was a free gun give away that enticed me to join.  That I won. 

I came for the gun I stayed for the friends.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »
I went to my profile and checked my stats. Over the years I've been on here almost 95 days. It was time well spent.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
June 03, 2008, 03:53:59 pm, 133 days, 10 hours and 36 minutes for me...

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 577
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Geez....I'm only like 48 days online.  Started 10-FEB-07.

It also looks like I'm 3,000-4,000 posts behind.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk