Author Topic: Netgear Arlo-Q Home Security Camera  (Read 2712 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Netgear Arlo-Q Home Security Camera
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
I have been looking at home security cameras for a while now. Trying to figure out which one to purchase. There are an all but unlimited amount of them on the market. The problem with a lot of them is dealing with the lack of technical support, and software installation issues. You can usually find that out by reading the consumer reviews at places like Best Buy that sell them. This has turned me off to a number of brands. Many like Swann, were of good overall quality, but lacked easy installation and set up. In many cases, technical support is all but non existent with a lot of these outfits.

I finally found one that is very easy, and is of good quality. It's manufactured by Netgear, who makes all the Wi-Fi routers. So all of this stuff is totally compatible. The only issue I had was my fault. I didn't have my cell phone hooked up to my Wi-Fi network. The Arlo app. downloaded into my phone OK, but it couldn't set up the camera. Once I got the phone hooked up to my home Wi-Fi, the installation was a breeze.

This camera also sends and receives audio. So I can not only see what's going in the house, I can yell at the dog through the camera. It drives him nuts! The camera has 1080-P resolution, and it also has Infrared so the camera can see at night. You can disarm the audio and video detection when you're at home. Then arm it when you leave. If it detects movement or sound, (like glass breaking, or someone running through the house), it will automatically record to the cloud, and send you either an E-Mail alert, or a "push" alert to your phone. (Not sure yet what a "push" alert is).

You can adjust the sensitivity of the motion detector so your dog or cat won't set it off. Or else things like rotating ceiling fans. I have yet to do that. I just got the thing up and running a little while ago. This unit is a indoor, AC powered unit, but the video transmission is wireless. They also make totally wireless cameras that are for indoor, as well as weatherproof outdoor use. They run on 4, CR-123 Lithium batteries that last around 6 months depending on use. I'm going to get another Arlo-Q Camera tomorrow, and set it up to view my living room and front door. That will give me all the indoor coverage I require. The base on these cameras is magnetic, so it will stick well to anything metal, like a fridge or a gun safe. Or else they come with a mounting plate and screws and anchors.

Later on I'm going to get one wireless outdoor camera to view the rear of my house. That unit comes with a small base station you connect to your router with a Ethernet cable. It can run up to 4 cameras with a 300 ft. range. This is a really nice system that you can easily add to as you go along. You get a week of cloud storage for free. After that the video loops over, a bit like the tape on a cockpit voice recorder. You have 7 days to retrieve and down load it from the app. In case you require it for the cops if you have a break in. You can download it to any flash drive. (Now I finally have a reason to get one of those things). This is the camera I bought. And like I say, they have a ton of different packages available. It will give me at least some peace of mind when we're away. This turned out to be a nice easy set up and installation. If I can do it, believe me anyone can. My dog is more tech savvy than I am.

http://arlo.com/en-us/?cid=q3_arlo_us_search&utm_source=paidsearch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=q3_arlo_us_search&gclid=CjwKEAjwqpK8BRD7ua-U0orrgkESJADlN3YBxQ3OHd50o1TyGFoDi_vy0UhhUwf8F4j8nBPCVqgPoBoCdrjw_wcB

Jation

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Netgear Arlo-Q Home Security Camera
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
he cameras (for your uses) need not be ultra high-end. You might need to make out a face from 100' or a license plate in the driveway. It doesn't need to look "pretty", as long as things in the focal length of the lense are recorded clearly enough to be discernable.

You're better off going with several cameras https://secretstorages.com/best-outdoor-wireless-security-camera-system-with-dvr/ at a cheaper price than one higher end camera that has blindspots.

PoE (Power over Ethernet) makes install easy, and will be easier to secure. You can put them on their own subnet so they can't be accessed by someone wardriving. You would be shocked how many compromised home cameras there are. Virtually every wireless camera out there can be accessed easily by anyone. It's not a flaw with the camera itself (with a few notable exceptions), but with the way most wireless routers (especially those you get from your ISP) are secured.

If you use WEP encryption, I can get in with my smartphone in under 12 seconds (that's really the maximum time). WPA takes about 3 minutes on average, WPA2 can be 10 minutes up to a couple of hours, but they are all crackable.

The other side of this, it may not be someone hacking your wifi to access your camera, but instead intercepting packets from the camera to crack your wifi, lol. Even if you have really good encryption and a strong key, the cameras become a point of failure. The process or cracking wifi security comes down to intercepting as many packets of data as possible on that network, looking for commonalities in those packets, and using that to reverse engineer the encryption key (this is done through software, so even an idiot can download a wifi cracking app and use it). Wireless cameras kill your network security because they send a constant stream of packets at regular intervals, and the data is fairly uniform. If it's dark, there's no motion and the camera has compressed the image before sending it, it may end up sending the exact same image dozens of times in a row. That means the couple of hours it would normally take is reduced to just a few minutes.

This is why PoE cameras are better, and that negates concerns with interference on the 2.4Ghz spectrum. The downside is you have to run some cable.

If you go wireless, consider getting an enclosure for the camera. This serves four purposes:
• Can disguise the camera (not helpful if you want it as a visual deterrent, but in some situations you will prefer people not knowing you're recording). If I see a wireless camera, it's like hanging a big sign in front of your house saying "Hack my Network", lol. Really comes down to who you're protecting against.
• Additional protection from the elements.
• Covers the power connection (nobody can just pull the cord, it's under an enclosure which is bolted down).
• Covers the model of camera. A "hacker" doesn't know how to exploit every piece of technology, but they sure as hell know how to Google "Default Password for TP-Link Cameras". If nobody knows what kind of camera they're dealing with, you're a lot better off.

You're the only house on the street, so you're not likely to find some renegade rural hacker going door to door. If you lived in an apartment where there are 20+ wireless networks visible on your devices... well wireless cameras would surely screw you. You're probably safer than most people using them, so my advice here might seem a bit alarmist. Just keep in mind, burglars are wise to this tech. They may not be in it to hack your network, but they have the apps and they know how to use them. They check facebook posts for vacation notices to see if anyone's home, they look for "DIY" alarm systems (unmonitored) and can remotely disable many of them. Gone are the days of someone randomly kicking in your door (unless you live in a drug neighborhood)... They come prepared and it's very high-tech. Likewise, stalkers don't just follow you around and sit outside your house, they engage in cyberstalking as well now. They are well versed in information and device security (and security flaws). Crazy people are getting smarter, lol.

Quick Warning on PoE:
If they are powered by a router which also has wifi, make sure it's secured and not broadcasting the SSID. If I can access the wireless signal, I can reboot the router, thus killing your cameras for a few minutes. If I get on your network I can use a simple script to launch dozens of web requests to your router, one of which is likely the soft-reboot sequence. For example, this would kill most Frontier and Century Link modems (made by Netgear at least).

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
Lots of cool tech info.

I'm playing with 2 Amcrest cameras.  I have Simplisafe security, which they're not tied into, but I'm thinking about getting the Simplisafe camera.

I don't have any set to record, but just to look at when I feel like it.

I may look at the newer front door (doorbell) cameras and see if I can hook it to my TV so that when the door bell rings it pops up on a PIP while I'm watching TV.

BTW, a friend of mine, retired with nothing to do but play with electronics.  Has a combined video camera and radar by his driveway.   The camera records not only TOD but the speed of the vehicle passing.   His road has lots of speeders.  It's a 35mph street but a very tempting straight away.  The police have even used his recordings as corroborating evidence of speeding when there have been wrecks nearby.   The other night he recorded a car doing 70+mph and if you listen to the audio 5 seconds after it passes you can hear squealing of tires and crunching of metal.    He sent the local police a copy of the video.   I'll see if I can get a copy and post here.  Also had a motorcycle go by at 130mph!

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
Turn you sound way up.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:45:57 PM »
Hey I think I can learn a lot from you guys.  I was looking at several but I admit I'm just wading in and I don't really have an idea what I'm doing.  I am looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/GW-3840x2160-Simplified-Motorized-Security/dp/B079F4W6K6/ref=sr_1_22?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1533343087&sr=1-22&keywords=security%2Bcamera%2Bsystem&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011%2Cp_36%3A75000-99999999%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011&th=1

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:07:13 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 02:38:56 AM »
Wireless camera technology is improving at a fast pace. They are much easier to install. Especially in outdoor applications. Running wires can be a PITA. And the systems are a breeze to add extra cameras to, if later on you feel you need them.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »
I would like to have something that also accommodates a couple zoom cameras that I can adjust.  Not just the zoom but be able to adjust the pan and tilt.  I would like to be able to check out wildlife movement.  Game cameras are nice, but you need a lot of them and you'll go broke connecting them all to a cell service.  Or get a POS like that Spypoint I bought last year.

So if I can put some cameras that detect motion around the camp and be able to have a couple of zoom cameras where I can watch deer, bear and turkey moving (as well as the occasional meth or cannabis head) that would be ideal.  I am thinking 5-6 cameras around the camp, a couple around the barn and a zoom either side of the house looking in the cleared areas I'll be golden.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk