Author Topic: Time to brag a little - That's my Boy!  (Read 3927 times)

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Time to brag a little - That's my Boy!
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
My son is a  sophomore at Cal Poly. He loves to shoot action pistol, so when he went to off to school with no way to have access to a gun for practice we talked about how maybe there was a club or maybe he could start one...

Well it turns out a couple of older students had done the ground work to charter a "marksmanship" club and called an initial organizing meeting late last school year. Sam went along with about 50 others and when asked to explain how action pistol matches worked, he talked for a half hour. They decided that he should be president and the older guys (who are close to graduating) would work with/coach him to get the club up and running.

It has been a great success as you can see from the news report below. Lots of interest from the students. Good support from the school staff (the president of the college is reportedly a hunter). My son has learned a lot about running an organization and dealing with people.

BTW, the industry response has been great, NSSF ($10K grant), Apex (support and connections), S&W (donated pistols and a rifle), their local range (San Luis Obispo Sportsmen's Association) has worked closely with them to get through all the legal hoops, Hoague and other offering discounts and support.

http://www.shootingwire.com/features/229342

Michael do you know anybody that would like to do their industry speaker gig?

I'm one proud dad,
Joe

“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Time to brag a little - That's my Boy!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
Time to brag a little - That's my Boy!

Completely justifiable!

By the way, it ain't brag if it's a fact

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
Well done, Joe!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Well done, indeed suh!!!!
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
Terrific! - I LOVE that!
Best Wishes, Mike.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:43:15 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
Very good work!  And will be great experience too. 

I did notice a fair numbers of ladies in the pictures. 

What a great way to meet women who are a notch or two above standard.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
It's tougher to be a curmudgeon about the future when these sorts of stories pop up.

You've a right to be proud, Joe.  That's one fine kid you have, there.

Crusader Rabbit 
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »
plus plus
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Terrific! - I LOVE that!

What ^^he^^ said.  Good job!
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 07:12:34 AM »
So if you don't read the shooting wire, here's a mention of Cal Poly's shooting club. 

http://www.shootingwire.com/

It's Dec 5th's edition, so if you're reading this after the 5th you'll have to go to the Archives to find it.

Paul Erhardt, Editor, the Outdoor Wire Digital Network, wrote an article with a Christmas Wish List nor for himself but for other people.  And here's what he said about Cal Poly:

For the Cal Poly Marksmanship Club, the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Marksmanship Unit, the University of Vermont Shooting Team and all the other collegiate shooting programs I'll see if Santa can get you the following: #1 Ammo, lots and lots of ammo in .22LR, 9mm, .223 and 12GA to keep you knee deep in brass and hulls all season long. #2 Permission from your respective schools to sell logo'd wear, especially the University of Florida, so the rest of us can wear your colors in support. #3 A shopping spree sort of rampage through the warehouses of Brownells and MidwayUSA so you can stock up on the accessories and gear you'll need to expand your teams. Better add a #4...Lots of Dillon presses.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk