Author Topic: What if SCOTUS affirms..  (Read 23093 times)

MinotBob

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What if SCOTUS affirms..
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »
Anybody have any idea what will happen to the NFA Act of 1934 with regards to Suppressors and Full Auto firearms if SCOTUS affirms the individual right to KABA? Could it be argued that these regulations are unconstitutional?
MinotBob
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
Re: What if SCOTUS affirms..
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:13:10 AM »
I would think so, but with the thought of Stari sys (I have no clue how to spell it) with the 1939 case deciding that there is no constitutional right to a sawed-off shotgun it is possible SCOTUS will not over turn the NFA of 1934.  (eventhough from my reading of the Federalist Papers say otherwise)
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:18:37 AM »
Someone would probably have to bring an entire new case to the court before they would overturn the 1934 ruling. 
Life Member of the NRA

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 11:31:17 AM »
In US v. Miller, the court found that the defendant had not shown that a shotgun with a barrel length below 18" constituted a "Militia Weapon". The court did not recognize that the NFA of 1934 also taxed machineguns, nor did the court recognize that the tax imposed exceeded the value of most arms on which it was imposed, which therefore violated the Bailey v. Drexel furniture decision which requires taxes be only for revenue generation and not back-door prohibition. The failure to bring these issues before the court is what caused the court to find for the government. The defendant did not appear, nor did anyone else appear for the defendant, had anyone appeared to bring these issues to light the NFA would have gone down. You will note that the NRA SUPPORTED the NFA and had no interest in acting in the matter.

IF the court finds for the Individual rights understanding, I expect that the vast majority of anti-self defense to be challenged in court. However, what I also expect is that the court WILL find for individuals, whereupon the congress will invoke Article III section 2 and exempt second amendment cases from supreme court review, and proceed to pass whatever they want. Once this happens the 2nd amendment will be a dead letter, and America will cease to exist in under 24 months as armed insurrection begins (probably of the "Unintended Consequences" variety). Of course I have been accused of pessimism before.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
IF the court finds for the Individual rights understanding, I expect that the vast majority of anti-self defense to be challenged in court. However, what I also expect is that the court WILL find for individuals, whereupon the congress will invoke Article III section 2 and exempt second amendment cases from supreme court review, and proceed to pass whatever they want. Once this happens the 2nd amendment will be a dead letter, and America will cease to exist in under 24 months as armed insurrection begins (probably of the "Unintended Consequences" variety). Of course I have been accused of pessimism before.

Geez, Warhawke, and I thought I was pessimistic! Thanks for the insights, though, very nicely done.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:43:06 AM »

canon6

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:52:26 PM »
warhawke,what is the old saw"If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention"    Doug
a armed man is his own master

tumblebug

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »
Have plenty of 7.62x39?????????????308x51????????????45acp?????????9mm??????????????.22.

SIG229DAK

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:18:21 PM »
I would say it meant anything the current US military is carrying would be legal for every citizen over 16 to carry (1791's version of "militia").   ;D
HaroldB

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »
If I have correctly distilled all the writings down to my level, this case seems like this to me. An armed security guard in DC wants to legally take home and keep his on-duty pistol, an act now prohibited. That is the issue before the Court. As there is no militia in the District of Columbia, a collective right decision equals a total ban in the issue at hand. The Supreme Court would therefore have to find that the Second Amendment is no longer relevent. With highest regard to our founding father's efforts to secure a safe and prosperous future for their posterity, I pray we, the people, will not have to write a new chapter in US history to clarify their vision of the purpose of a Militia. However, if that be their course, call on me Colonel. I'll be ready in a minute.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk