Author Topic: Brady proposal to Obama  (Read 3057 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Brady proposal to Obama
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »
These proposals are clearly constitutional under the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent Second Amendment decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. __, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008), and they pose no threat to the interests of law-abiding gun owners.

RESTRICT MILITARY-STYLE WEAPONS

We agree with President-elect Obama that we can uphold the Second Amendment “while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.”71 Assault weapons are semiautomatic versions of fully automatic guns designed for military use. Semiautomatic assault weapons unleash extraordinary firepower. ATF has concluded that assault weapons “are not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes” and instead “are attractive to certain criminals.”72 ATF’s analysis of guns traced to crime showed that assault weapons “are preferred by criminals over law abiding citizens eight to one…. Access to them shifts the balance of power to the lawless.”73 Since the federal assault weapon law expired in 2004, police in major cities report a resurgence of assault weapon use in crime, with hundreds of people killed on our streets with these weapons of war since late 2004.74 Law enforcement throughout the nation has called for them to be restricted to the police and military. Presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush all have supported a federal ban on assault weapons. Congress should enact strong legislation that closes the loopholes in the previous assault weapons statute and restricts civilian ownership of other weapons that were originally designed for military use, such as .50 caliber sniper rifles that have the range and power to bring down aircraft. High-capacity ammunition magazines and armor-piercing bullets should be similarly restricted.

For #74 they cite their own Oraganization --Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence (They cite it atleast half dozen times in the entire memo, with who knows how many other of their sources are people who work for them)

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »
I will formulate more of an answer later, but for right now I submit the following:

A lot is said about banning "military style" weapons.  If we look at the Second Amendment and read the history of it we would sooner come to the conclussion that there should be a ban on hunting and sporting only weapons.  With the purpose of the Second Amendment to be to protect the Repubic the only weapons we should have are the ones most efficient in waging war.

I'll write something more complete and coherent later, but right now I need to get ready to go shoot bullseye league  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I will formulate more of an answer later, but for right now I submit the following:

A lot is said about banning "military style" weapons.  If we look at the Second Amendment and read the history of it we would sooner come to the conclussion that there should be a ban on hunting and sporting only weapons.  With the purpose of the Second Amendment to be to protect the Repubic the only weapons we should have are the ones most efficient in waging war.

I'll write something more complete and coherent later, but right now I need to get ready to go shoot bullseye league  ;D

...hopefully with a firearm "not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes".
 Good shootin', Minnesota!
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »
As I'm writing this, I'm watching Shooting Gallery. Michael B. is at the Barret factory, checking out the .50 cal etc. Sarah Brady would have a heart attack.
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:01:17 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:20:36 AM »
My proposal to the Brady bunch is that they come up to NH and kiss my a$$.

As to them referencing themselves (I could suggest they do something else to them selves  ;D ) I wander how many of the Other sources they quote are actually sourced back to them, Like if I tell Haz black is white, Haz writes some where that according to Tom black is white. Then I can say black is white and refer to were it says so right there in Haz's writings.
If there is a name for that sort of thing it is probably "editorial incest".

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »
One reading of Heller would lead you to believe you can license owners, register and reasonably restrict, but not ban, arms that are in common use.  You can ban arms that are not in common use or unusual and dangerous.

Gonna take years to hash out what Heller does/does not allow as far as what are reasonable restrictions on which arms?

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
One reading of Heller would lead you to believe you can license owners, register and reasonably restrict, but not ban, arms that are in common use.  You can ban arms that are not in common use or unusual and dangerous.

Gonna take years to hash out what Heller does/does not allow as far as what are reasonable restrictions on which arms?

Lawyers not yet born will get rich on Dick Heller.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk