Author Topic: Polymer Mags For The Tactical Rifle  (Read 3018 times)

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Polymer Mags For The Tactical Rifle
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »
Hi team,

Give you the background, two years ago I purchased a Ruger Mini 14 for $300 with 3 factory 20 round mags.  The gun was new in the box as were the mags and now I'm taking the time, and money, to fit it for a more tactical role.  I was looking at mags and I wanted to get opinions, or better experiences, with polymer mags.  I'm looking at Pro Mag 20 rounders, don't really want 30s, and was curious if any one had used them.

I know they may not come close to the factory steel that I've got, but I'd like to have more with out spending $100+ dollars.  If any one has used the Pro Mag polymers in a rifle, Mini or AR, I'd like to hear about your experience.

If any one has a better solution to my 3 mags for less that $60, lets hear it.

Thanks,
Bryan

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Polymer Mags For The Tactical Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
Brian,

I can't beat $60.00 for 3, but Ruger has 20 round Ruger Factory Magazines avaliable over the Internet for $29.95. Best price I've seen to date.  Bill T.

http://shopruger.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=19655&productId=58755&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=19655&lastCatId=19655

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
That may be the route I go.  I trust the Ruger ones, I've never had any failures.  The Pro Mag 20s are $12 a piece, I could get three for 40 bucks.  At the same time it my be better to get two that you know will work every time.

There something to be said for not being the cheapest out there.

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:57:57 AM »
My initial reaction is to stay away from the Pro-mags.  I have never seen any that work on a consistent basis, although that was quite a few years ago.

It might be worth it to buy one and see how it performs.  I would want a minimum of 500 rounds with no magazine related failures before I put it into my serious social work rotation.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
Thanks, I'll order my Rugers and pick up a ProMag for testing.  Given that the Mini is hyper picking about mags I'd be surprised to see if the ProMag is comparably reliable.  But I'll give a report...with pictures.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:32:31 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
Got my 2 Ruger factory mags yesterday. Also got three aftermarket mags from Sportsman's Guide a few months back and have not tried them yet. They definitely are NOT the same quality as the Ruger mags. Will post after a range test.

For more reading on the Mini-14 here....  http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=1505.0

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1121
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
The only Pro-Mag magazines I ever had were for a pistol. They were such complete rubbish that I smashed them with a big hammer and threw them in the trash were they belonged, and bought some OEM mags.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk