Author Topic: Gun/Ammo Industry Update.  (Read 5382 times)

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gun/Ammo Industry Update.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
I paid .35 per round ($7.00 per box) for this ammo four months ago and it's almost a buck a round now.

http://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-55-gr-fmj-ae223j-federal-500-rounds

Almost a buck a round?  That's just grotesque.  I picked up my 3-box max of that exact stuff at my local Wally World the other day for $11/box and I thought that was outrageous. 
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 06:25:08 PM »
This shortage seems worse than the last time.  My dad and I run the JR rifle program at our local sportsman's club and we teach kids to shoot smallbore 4 position rifle.  Every place around us is even completely sold out of .22lr!  Not even the crappy Remington Thunderbolt at this point. 

The anti's are least temporarily accomplishing one of their goals and that is to make it difficult to buy ammo.  I am just concerned that some of the new kids that come along will get discouraged when they can't buy a box of cheap ammo at the local store that they might get discouraged.

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
Well, I just got out of a bidding war for 5000 rounds of Federal .22LR - I'm not going to pay $700+ for something that used to list for about $280.  >:(

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »
Local gun shops are all but out of ammo, and none in the calibers I'd like.  WallyWorls still has 20 gauge birdshot rounds and not much more.   

Went to www.ammoengine.com (good price checking resource) to find .40S&W going for between $.90 and $1.08 per round.  .357 mag was about a buck a round.

Fortunately, I am fairly well stocked, but I'd like something cheap to take to the range.  My range time has suffered due to the shortage.  And I don't want to dip into my supply until I am certain I can re-supply.  (And I hope re-supply will come from local merchants and not from having to engage foreign military in blue trucks.)

Local professional re-loader (he provides local PDs with practice ammo) has been nearly put out of business.  He can still get used brass from the PD ranges, but primers are unavailable.  He'll have to close up shop soon as he can't even make rent.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
 While I hate to see the outrageous markup on guns and ammo some stores will go out of business because they can't restock.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:46:39 AM »

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »
Been focusing on shoring up my shotgun ammo. Admittedly the poor thing gets neglected when it comes to ammo. However after doing a complete rebuild (with upgrades) to my trusty 870, I am spending much more time with it. And kicking myself for not sooner realizing the versatility of this little (black) sweetheart.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
Natchez had 500 rounds .223 for around $350 yesterday.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:16 AM »
"DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's."

I took something else away from this. I've always said most all of these AR-15 manufacturers buy most all of their parts from outside vendors. Who there are just a few of who produce for the entire industry. This more or less confirms it. I wonder if Colt and DPMS get their bolts and bolt carriers from the same vendor? Suddenly the wrench goes in the gears trying to determine which one is actually "better"?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »
Back to the topic at hand. I just got an E-Mail yesterday from my local dealer who said he had Remington R-1 Stainless 1911's in stock for $878.00. I just bought one from him a few months back, (pre Sandy Hook), and paid $617.00. This is a $261.00 increase on a stock 7 round capacity pistol. Makes me think there may indeed be some truth to what they said in the article........

"This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war!"

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
"This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war!"

Yep!
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk