Author Topic: episode 241  (Read 3844 times)

lane47

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
episode 241
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
I think Michael is loosing his mainstream listeners, me for one, 43% of episode 241 was music and music babble

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
Re: episode 241
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
It happens occasionally...in 241 episodes — more than 4 years of podcasts! — you've got to expect some "thread drift!" LOL! Seriously, I can only be what I am, and whatever I am has been built on the things I have done. That includes a popular music critic, a card-carrying member of the Mainstream Media (sigh), something of an expert in high-risk sports, a martial artist, a business consultant specializing in world-class performance, a haphazard novelist and, above all, a shooter.

To a large extent the podcast is a journal of what's rattling around in my head on a given week...since my profession is guns, that's a lot of guns. But that's usually not the only thing that catches my attention.

Something that has been very important to me in my career as a journalist and in television is to give the people who read, listen or watch what I produce some sense of where I'm coming from, my own prejudices, my thought processes, the twists and turns in my own life that shaped me and, by extension, what I produce or create. Part of this drive is that I "came of age" as a journalist in the great "new journalism" explosion of the mid-1970s (the standard reference is Tom Wolfe's 1975 book THE NEW JOURNALISM...there are subsequent learned texts on how badly we failed, too).  At its best, the journalism of those times acknowledged that the "reporter" was always a part of the story and ultimately shaped the narrative based on his or her insights, background, mindset, etc...the presence of the reporter changed the story, a sort of Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle for media...revolutionary for the times...of course, it backfired. At its worst, new journalism produced an outpouring of self-indulgent crap (and I'm as guilty of that as anyone else) and led to the current destruction of the MSM the primary media in the U.S., replaced by the Internet.

What I took from that experience, though, is the thought that if I present my thoughts to an audience, the audience has a "right" to know at least some of the backstory.

I also readily acknowledge that I have the attention span of an 8-year-old...Oh look! A kitten!. The ability to focus quickly and intently, then drift away in 5 minutes, makes one a good journalist and a less-than-good person.

So all of this is a long, sometimes random explanation of why you will occasionally get recipes instead of 1911s on the podcast (to say nothing of the blog!). It all boils down to...I can't help it!

Thank you for hanging on for 241 episodes...if you get bored, I'll always be happy to welcome you back!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

pasotom

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Don't let the stick to the subject people get you down . Some people are just narrow minded . I enjoy the music ,no matter how strange . You also learn the most about people by stream of thought !
Keep it up
PasoTom

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »
It happens occasionally...in 241 episodes — more than 4 years of podcasts! — you've got to expect some "thread drift!" LOL! Seriously, I can only be what I am, and whatever I am has been built on the things I have done. That includes a popular music critic, a card-carrying member of the Mainstream Media (sigh), something of an expert in high-risk sports, a martial artist, a business consultant specializing in world-class performance, a haphazard novelist and, above all, a shooter.

To a large extent the podcast is a journal of what's rattling around in my head on a given week...since my profession is guns, that's a lot of guns. But that's usually not the only thing that catches my attention.

Something that has been very important to me in my career as a journalist and in television is to give the people who read, listen or watch what I produce some sense of where I'm coming from, my own prejudices, my thought processes, the twists and turns in my own life that shaped me and, by extension, what I produce or create. Part of this drive is that I "came of age" as a journalist in the great "new journalism" explosion of the mid-1970s (the standard reference is Tom Wolfe's 1975 book THE NEW JOURNALISM...there are subsequent learned texts on how badly we failed, too).  At its best, the journalism of those times acknowledged that the "reporter" was always a part of the story and ultimately shaped the narrative based on his or her insights, background, mindset, etc...the presence of the reporter changed the story, a sort of Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle for media...revolutionary for the times...of course, it backfired. At its worst, new journalism produced an outpouring of self-indulgent crap (and I'm as guilty of that as anyone else) and led to the current destruction of the MSM the primary media in the U.S., replaced by the Internet.

What I took from that experience, though, is the thought that if I present my thoughts to an audience, the audience has a "right" to know at least some of the backstory.

I also readily acknowledge that I have the attention span of an 8-year-old...Oh look! A kitten!. The ability to focus quickly and intently, then drift away in 5 minutes, makes one a good journalist and a less-than-good person.

So all of this is a long, sometimes random explanation of why you will occasionally get recipes instead of 1911s on the podcast (to say nothing of the blog!). It all boils down to...I can't help it!

Thank you for hanging on for 241 episodes...if you get bored, I'll always be happy to welcome you back!

Michael B

Lighten up Lane, Some of the recipes are pretty darn good.    ;D

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:22:07 PM »
Two things on the podcast today:

1. In the computer world, the folks working on process have a saying - all models are wrong, some are useful. Feel free to steal use

2. I've personally ragged on you, MB, regarding some of your choices for musical interludes (like that Yoko Ono clone from Finland). But today, wow, I only have one question - Jefferson Starship? Seriously? ? ? No, I did not get my "hippie" on. Yes, I considered myself one - a long, long time ago. But then I grew up. Word to the wise - there is nothing sadder than an aging hippie. Living near Boulder, that is undoubtedly something you are familiar with.  ;D

I was never a Paul Kantor fan, but your insight about his use of Heinlein was informative and made every OK this morning.  ;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:24:11 PM »

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
MB,

luckily I have a fast forward button for the music in this one! I thought maybe the Occupy Boulder crowd had moved in with you! Nothing compares to "Frying bacon in nude" so we can just call this one an accidental discard.

Totally agree with your view on Heinlein. In fact I made sure my son read his books and I am happy to say that he appreciated RHH's views as well.

How about some Jerry Jeff Walker "Red Neck Mothers".

Also would appreciate a more detailed discussion of dry fire practice tips techniques goals etc.

Joe

“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

lane47

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »
Michael
need not worry, I plan to keep listening, my short, and seldom input seemed to serve its purpose.
I graduated HS in 68, 100 miles north of Memphis in S. Fulton, I have plenty of sources for music, not many that provide your take on weapons and freedom! Play all the music you want, just give us 45 minutes of guns and freedom.

RabbitBox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
How revolutionary!  We have the ability to interact directly with the host and creator of one of our favorite shows.  And he actually reads and responds.  It's kind of like being on the side lines of your favorite football team or on the set of an action movie.  We might not change the play, but somebody that can do something about it heard.  Yeah, I know, DRR isn't exactly the super bowl, but it's nice to know that a modern day firearms "celebrety" listens to the little guy.  Now if the Kardashians ( and Jerry Jones) could just hear me when I tell them to "GO AWAY"! ::)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
I play music but seems all I can talk about is guns.  Go figure...
I've got to say, not only does Michael read and respond but he (all all of the other folks at DRTV) takes an interest in what you think, how you feel, and even your well being. You don't see interaction like that in many media places.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

thecooler

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Keep doing what your doing Michael

I love the fact each show begins and ends with music.  I have downloaded songs from I-tunes that I would have never known I liked if it had not been listening to the Podcast.

You talk a lot about Guns, Music and yes, even politics.  This is what Freedom is all about! Hearing of the newest and coolest new guns is cool, but this podcast is about FREEDOM too!

We all have interest in guns, hell, that's why we listen.  However, I have learned and gotten involved politically by writing my congressman and senators about a lot of things I knew little about before the podcast.  Things like the shannanagan's of the Forest Service, Fast and Furious and importation of certain shotguns and classifications as destructive devices.  Oh, and how about Silencers, I knew nothing about them before listening to the Podcasts.

So, again.  Keep right on doing what your doing Michael and I appreciate you taking the time every week to do the Podcast along with all the t.v shows you do!

Looking forward to your training DVD's as well!

Cheers!
Chad Hendrix
Horn Lake, MS
"A free people, ought to be armed."  George Washington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk