Author Topic: Savage question  (Read 4395 times)

tombogan03884

Savage question
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
 Some one was telling me that Savage rifles only have one action length whether your chambered in 22LR or 30-06.
These were guys who's opinion I respect so I'm asking here for clarification.
Is this something they still do ? wouldn't it be less expensive for them to use a smaller action for smaller calibers ?

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Savage question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
Savage offers three actions that I know of.

110 = Long
10 = Short
Mark = short Rim fire

The long and the short are both based on the mauser double lug action. Some consider the actions to be rough and the pull too long. The short action in reality is more like a winchester long action as far as length is concerned but it still is the same make up.  I personally have always like the actions both long and short.

The rimfire is totally different. 
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »

Long Action .300 Winchester Magnum

Short Action .308

bulletbill

• Forum Member
    • 6x47 Lapua
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »
Not only do you have rimfire, long, and short but a few more.  There's an intermediate length action discontinued some years ago falls between short and long hence the "intermediate".  You have a difference between old short action and new short action.  You also have the Precision target action which has three screws rather than two, and the dual port which has three screws on a different spacing than the PTA all together.

This unfortunately is what drive stock makers up a wall with savages.

edit

Opps forgot the muzzle loaders too...

/edit

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification.  To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action:  5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short:  4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short:  4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short:  4.522" (1959 - 1988)
Striker:

Additional Notes:

- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series".  This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change.  Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.

- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.

- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system.  The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 Ruger as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.  <-- as of april 2008

Badgersmilk

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »
I've got a 110 in .270 Winchester that's DEFINITELY a long action.  And a 93 BTVS in .22 magnum thats WAY short (half what a centerfire short action is).  And then while I don't have one, I've played with .308 Savages in BassPro that are short actions.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:43:34 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »
 Thank's for the replies

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:26:37 PM »
And while I don't know if the "length" is different, the Model 25 is a smaller action (smaller than the "10") designed specifically for the .223 and .204.

Here's mine in .223

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »
Back when savage was going BK, the only gun they could produce was the 110, it came in only one action lenght, since that time it has expaned drasticly.  the 110 saved savage.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »
Back when savage was going BK, the only gun they could produce was the 110, it came in only one action lenght, since that time it has expaned drasticly.  the 110 saved savage.

That is probably what they were talking about. They don't keep up with new products, nor do they utilize resources like this forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk