Author Topic: Setting up the DRTV forum in different categories  (Read 5583 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Setting up the DRTV forum in different categories
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
The only suggestion I have so far is this:

Change the name of General Discussion into something else and move it to the top of forum index page.

Marshal,

I have found that the only element of Downrange TV that is a bit cumbersome to maneuver is that in order to read beyond the several latest posts that appear on the home page you need to go to the forum index page and then scroll down to General Discussion....why? I would suggest simply creating a button right at the bottom of the latest posts, perhaps labeled "More" or keeping it "General Discussion", which brings you directly to the General Discussion page and allows everyone to see the remainder of the posts quickly and easily.  That way you won't need to go to another screen to get to where most of us regularly visit. 

Other than that, I love the way the forum is laid out now.  Thanks for doing a great job managing this site....great voice by the way........Marshal'ette was right.  I enjoyed your first podcast and looking forward to your weekly broadcasts.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
I dont see a need for alot of change, perhaps an easier way to navigate. :-\ :-\
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »
The menu system can be set up a little different and there are several ways of doing it. However, there is already a menu system that might work the way CDR describes it. CDR, just to make sure I understand it correctly.....

I have found that the only element of Downrange TV that is a bit cumbersome to maneuver is that in order to read beyond the several latest posts that appear on the home page you need to go to the forum index page and then scroll down to General Discussion....why? I would suggest simply creating a button right at the bottom of the latest posts, perhaps labeled "More" or keeping it "General Discussion", which brings you directly to the General Discussion page and allows everyone to see the remainder of the posts quickly and easily.  That way you won't need to go to another screen to get to where most of us regularly visit.

On the top menu (yellow background), I can set up a sub menu on the forum button where all the different boards are listed and from there you can go directly to the board you want to read.

What I do.... and we all establish different personal routines on how we maneuver around. When I go to the DRTV home page, I look at the 6 latest posts. When I click on one of them, it takes me to the latest post in that particular thread. Now..... here's how I do it from there.

If you look at the bottom of this page, you see a text line like this:
The Down Range TV Forum | DOWN RANGE with Michael Bane | General Discussion | Topic: Setting up the DRTV forum in different categories

If I want to read this thread from the beginning, I click on |Setting up the DRTV forum in different categories|. If I want to go directly to the General Discussion Index page to see the index of topics(threads), I click on | General Discussion |.

There is also a Jump To feature at the bottom right, where you can jump directly over to the different boards.

Keep the feedback comin' ...

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »
Marshal,

That's interesting in that I never tried maneuvering that way to the General Discussion board as, to be honest, I never went down past the last post in a thread to even notice that there was a General Discussion button.  I always went into Forum on top and then scrolled down to General Discussion which was more steps than I thought necessary.  I like the idea of a sub menu on the Forum link on top to access the various boards, but if I could make a suggestion.....consider the button that brings you directly to General Discussion after the newest six posts as, what I do, is look at the home page and look for the posts with the blue label that reads "new", and those are the ones I read.  What you can't see quickly are any new posts that exceed the ones posted on the home page.  To clarify, lets say there are 15 new posts since you logged in last and you can only view 6 of them on the home page.  You don't know if there are more than 6 new posts until you go into the General Discussion forum, which means you need to maneuver to the General Discussion link to see the remainder.  A hot link "General Discussion" or "More" button right on the home page directly beneath the 6 new posts would get you there easily and quickly without the need to go to the forum sub menu on top of the home page and select "General Discussion".  It's just one less step that gets you directly there.  When you think of it, at least for me, the new posts are what the majority of us are probably going to most often.  A hot link button straight there would be helpful. 

Thanks for the tip on how to link in on the bottom of the page once you are into a thread.  That certainly beats scrolling down in another page, but consider the hot link as I described.  Regards.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »
I like it the way it is. here's what I do..........

I have the forums index page saved in my favorites,
Then I just click the link that says "show unread post since last visit."
After I have read all the new posts, if I want to review something I click on home and scroll down to whatever categorie I want.

Maybe that helps somebody?

cookie
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:21:57 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 08:56:06 PM »
The " show unread post's since last visit" is the ticket, also replies to your own posts. That way you can read  whatever has  been posted, since the last time you visited. I would like to see a new classified or for sale category.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »
The " show unread post's since last visit" is the ticket, also replies to your own posts. That way you can read  whatever has  been posted, since the last time you visited. I would like to see a new classified or for sale category.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »

Ok, folks!

I have done some minor changes on the forum.

The existing boards are now sorted in two categories:

Member Section
Down Range Cafe (the old General Discusssion board) is on top of the forum index page.
followed by the other boards for member discussions.

I have also added the requested Classifieds board.

Show Section
has all the different show boards from podcasts, videos and TV Shows.

Nothing new except from the classifieds and current boards are now divided in 2 categories.

On the DRTV front page, I have added board links to recent topics.

And that is all that will be done with the forum at this time.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 04:18:54 AM »
I likey!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
Looks good, Thanks Marshal
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk