Author Topic: Gun used in Magnum,PI  (Read 11559 times)

silverfox

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun used in Magnum,PI
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
I am hoping that somebody can tell me what 1911 (Brand Name) that Tom Selleck used in Magnum,PI
 I have been told it was a Colt, I've also been that he used a Randall.
 My friend and I have been having this discussion for the last couple of weeks.
Any help would be truely appreciated. I have checked the internet, all the pictures showing holding the gun are too small show
any details....

SIG229DAK

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Gun used in Magnum,PI
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:39:30 AM »
The concensis on another list is that Magnum carried a parkerized 1911A1, but the magazine indents look as though it was fired with 9mm blanks.  ;D
HaroldB

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »
I don't exactly know. But, I will give this opinion. Based on the series, which i watched growing up, Magnum and his buddies were in the Vietnam war, according to the story line I believe they were special forces. What was issued to special forces during that war, wasn't it Springfield 1911s? Maybe even a High Standard 1911? I did a google image search, Magnum P.I.,and found a couple images of him with it. One image I found shows it to have 3 dot combat fixed sights. It looks to me like a "PLAIN JANE" "NO FRILLS" Springfield 1911 or a "PLAIN JANE" " NO FRILLS" High Standard 1911.

I know this isn't the definite answer you were or are looking for. I'll keep searching. Gives me something to do. lol    ;D

GlockMeister
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Scott Moore

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:31:17 AM »
This question is a hard one to answer when the firearm in question is not spelled out in the script. Having worked in both TV and movies, the use of firearms is sometimes a secondary issue, the true brand, caliber, type, etc is not germane to the story line (in the minds of script writers, who sometimes never take the time to do their research), it’s just a gun. Of course in this series the handgun in question is a GI issue .45 acp 1911 A1. It is generally considered the military used over a half a dozen manufacturers to produce the handguns used by our troops.  By Vietnam, an issue 1911, would have been rebuilt several times so the frame, slide, barrel and most components would have been replaced several times so most guns would be a true hybrid, given that, it would be hard to say what manufacturer produced the pistol unless the gun was in the “family” since it original issue (which did happened).
As far as the 9mm issue, most .45’s used as props at the time were 9mm as the theatrical guns functioned best with those blanks. As far as “blanks” the Industry uses several different types, including the famous 5-in-1 blank and others but that’s a discussion for another thread.
J. Scott Moore
Columnist - Downrange.tv

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:08 AM »
According to Tom Selleck  in an interview (Traditions, Quarter 3:  2007) "... when I did Magnum P.I., I would have built a couple of 1911 autos, but in those days I was just using a couple of rental .45s."  Since these were rental guns it would be possible to track it back through the studio and supplier.  However, it wouldn't surprise me to find that they were different guns from season to season with the only criteria being "skin deep." 

The topic in this article was Mr. Selleck's display of movie guns in the NRA Firearm Museum, and how through his career he has changed from the gun being just an object to a character that must be historically correct.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:19:08 PM »

Indy5000

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »
Tom really appears to be a 1911 fan.  Magnum P.I. carried a 1911 of some flavor.  His character Jesse Stone http://www.cbs.com/specials/jesse_stone/index.shtml carries a 1911.  His character on Las Vegas also carries a 1911, OWB, cocked and locked.  I remember a couple of closeups from the show.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:27:26 PM »
I always wondered why his name is MAGNUM but he carried a 1911. You'd think the writers would have him carrying a .357 or .44.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

mnshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 08:59:08 PM »
When Magnum racks the slide at beginning of every show, you can see the step in the barrel diameter indicating a 9mm.  The only close up of the gun I can recall  sure seemed to show the markings of a Colt commercial.  In general,  9mm 1911's were used far more often for blanks.  The smaller ID of the 9mm barrel made it easier to machine the locking lugs off the barrel; also, 9mm blanks are used much more in the movies (think subguns) and this eliminated having to inventory another round. 
Michael has written about Tom and his (thankless) efforts for our gun rights.  He is definitely one of the good guys.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 01:21:33 AM »
Somewhere along the way, people seem to think that Magnum also carried a Detonics Combatmaster a time or two.  I never saw it if he did.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 09:59:20 AM »
Its either a 9mm or a .38 super, I would bet on the 9mm just because the supers are a rarer pistol and probably not used as props.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk