Author Topic: Taurus .44 Mag  (Read 4128 times)

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taurus .44 Mag
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:26:11 AM »
Got this one last week.  I really like it so far.  It is weird the way it is made, it has no rifling from the ports on.  I was told that this is a type of expansion chamber.  It does seem to work really well, as recoil, even with full power loads, does not seem bad at all.

Life Member of the NRA

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Taurus .44 Mag
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 05:58:20 AM »
Is that an alloy or the soft finish stainless?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »
Is that an alloy or the soft finish stainless?

It is brushed stainless.  I enjoy a healthy dose of recoil every now and then, but not enough to buy an alloy .44 mag.  I am not a glutton for punishment!!!  It actually is not bad at all with the porting.  Actually, it has more of a compensator than just porting.  The rifling ends right before the ports and it is a type of expansion chamber.  Pretty effective.  I questioned how the accuracy would be with what amounts to about 3 inches of rifling, but it shoots fine. 
Life Member of the NRA

leatherman92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »
I want one in 480 ruger :)
One riot,one redneck

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
Gunman,

Did ya pick her up new (looks like it)?  What is the barrel length, about 4 or 4.5?  Could carry it depending on your build and what you wear.  Sure would feel "well heeled" with it!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:38:36 AM »

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 01:59:32 PM »
Gunman,

Did ya pick her up new (looks like it)?  What is the barrel length, about 4 or 4.5?  Could carry it depending on your build and what you wear.  Sure would feel "well heeled" with it!

No, it was used, but you couldn't tell it.  They either took very good care of it, or never shot it much.  It is a 4 inch barrel.  It is very "packable".  I am a Ruger guy most of the time, but I just am not crazy about the Redhawk or Super Redhawk.  They are too big, even the new 4 inch Redhawk.  I got a pretty decent size hand, but the Redhawk is too big even with that new grip they came out with, and the Super is just too heavy, period, for anything but hunting.  And those 2 inch Alaskan models would be a nightmare to shoot, looks like to me.  I am not fond of the new Smiths, and the old ones are too expensive, so when I ran across this one I bought it on the spot. 
Life Member of the NRA

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
The Hogue Monogrips othe 4 inch Redhawks are just butt UGLY!  I had to replace the wood grips on my 5.5 Redhawk with Houge custom wooden grips with the butt cap cause my problem with Rugers is the grips are all too small.

LMIB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »
I had a 357 Taurus Tracker 7 shot and the rifleing went all the way to the end of the barrel.  It was a 4 incher also with porting.
You've come a far piece pilgrim.

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 07:12:10 PM »
The Hogue Monogrips othe 4 inch Redhawks are just butt UGLY!  I had to replace the wood grips on my 5.5 Redhawk with Houge custom wooden grips with the butt cap cause my problem with Rugers is the grips are all too small.

I meant to say that the wood grips were too small, and the Hougues are too big, for me. 
Life Member of the NRA

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 07:13:16 PM »
I had a 357 Taurus Tracker 7 shot and the rifleing went all the way to the end of the barrel.  It was a 4 incher also with porting.

I used to have a Tracker in .45, and to the best of my memory, the rifling went all the way to the end of the barrel too.  But not this gun. 
Life Member of the NRA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk