Author Topic: Roland the headless Thompson gunner  (Read 9703 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Roland the headless Thompson gunner
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »
I'm confused by this entire thread.

Big Elvis fan, are we Don?    ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 07:29:16 AM »
First...do you like the gun?????????
mb

Absolutely!  The finest of 50 or so in the steel box and very highly prized.  I posted on the "Ultimate" thread earlier and later will give a detailed performance review when time and a lack of Oklahoma wind coincide with the Oehler.  Besides the overall quality and striking appearance, I'm most impressed with the lack of weight and the weight distribution.  By the way, Tactical Solutions now offers cans on their website, I spoke with them and for an extra $100 they are going to make one that matches the gun (after I heal over from the yearly currency crunch known as Christmas).

I've been to the range a couple of times and have spent the time to "break it in right" using CCI Maxi-Mag premium plated bullets alternated with Federal Automatch all lead bullets.  I added lead to the front flower bed so I could clean the barrel (from the chamber first) after shooting.  My three boys are fighting a lost battle with me for possession.  I'm wondering what they are saying of the inevitable inheritance?

First trip to the range was to Sand Springs Sportsman Club with a friend of mine (after showing it off to the boys at Lash's Gun Emporium)....28 degrees and snowing sideways real hard.  Second trip was to Red Castle Gun Club (50-55 degrees) and everyone on the line wanted to put a shot through it and know where it came from....most of them were familiar with Shooting Gallery  but not the website...there is now, unfortunately, more competition for the next giveway!  Along with Downrange TV and Shooting Gallery, proper credit is being given to Boyd's, Tactical Solutions, Ruger and Leopold, of course!

The first trip out, about 120 rounds went through the barrel.  The group shrunk as the barrel broke in down to less than a nickel at 25 yards.  Second trip out another 100 or so rounds at steel targets, never missed the little ones at 75 and 100 meters but no paper targets for this trip.  Eventually, I'll compare the performance from several brands and flavors of ammo.

Your last podcast indicated the Ruger Rimfire Challenge may be held at USSA in Tulsa.  There's a good chance you'll get to shoot it if that works out.  I'm waiting for the family memberships at USSA after the lodge and gym are finished.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
I am lost and confused. Stop this tread I want to get off all obscure and veiled music references should have FAQ section to help us just gun guys.

Jon
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

tumblebug

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 08:22:43 AM »
CONGRATS AGAIN sounds like it's a shooter. Now the boy's have somethig elst to shoot for.

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:11:53 PM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »
What a GREAT clip of "Roland...!!!" Truly one of the greatest merc songs ever, and the definitive Thompson song!

I can't believe you guys can't keep up with the obscure cultural references...it could get worse...we could do movies..."Daddy would have gotten us an Uzi"...

BTW, Rastus, Hank Jr. wrote "Dixie on my Mind" for me after a telephone conversation where I opined that New York City, where I lived a the time, "wasn't the freakin' Promised Land!"

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »
"Daddy would have gotten us an Uzi"...
Michael B

Night of the Comet, 1984 IIRC

My mind is a swamp of useless trivia surrounding an Island of pure genius.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »
I STAND IN AWE!

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »
I got to shoot a Model 29 at a friends gun shope once. Sweet gun! And I've got a CD with Hank Jr's version of Lawyers Guns and Money on it. Great song! (I know I know.... Zevon's Music is all older than I am, and so is most of Hank William Jr's. But it's still good music, damnit!)
Didn't know You were the one who inspired Dixie on My Mind (One of Hank Jr's Best, If you ask me.). That's Intersting.

It should say "Watch SHOOTING GALLERY!" over and over!

Strangely enough, in the mid-1970s I was a Famous Rock Critic in New York City. I hung out ay CBGB's and bars where the second act came on at, like 3 AM; I learned the Four Most Important Words in the English language — "I'm with the band!" — I went to parties with Hunter Thompson and Tom Wolfe; I traveled on the bus with Willie Nelson; I was thrown out onto 16th Avenue South in Nashville by Hell's Angels goons in the pay of Waylon Jennings; I drank too much, had a Number 1 hit country song written about me (more or less, with the emphasis on less)...I thought Warren Zevon was God. When I was editor of COUNTRY MUSIC Magazine, I had a framed Warren Zevon album inner sleeve featuring a full-sized picture of his S&W M-29 .44 Magnum on my office door. I introduced Hank Williams Jr. to Zevon's music when I wroke Hank Jr's autobiography, and he later did a cover (and a duet) on "Lawyers Guns & Money.

I truly believe I was the only Famous Rock Critic who went through NYC's byzantine process for getting a pistol permit, only to fail when I refused to give a cop a $500 "cash-only application fee, and we don't give no f^&*%&g receipts, neither!" He took my huge stack of paperwork, painfully assembled over a year's period, tore it up and threw it away.

Final note...years later I was hanging out in this really sleazy bar in La Ceiba, on the Caribbean side of Honduras. The bar was called the O. K. Corral, and I was the only one in the bar who lacked some substantial form of hardware. I gathered up my lempira, the aptly named Honduran currency, spent a nickel on a cold National, a Guatamalan beer that tastes like a cross between Corona and piss, and put the rest of the lempiras in the jukebox. Of course they had L,G & M on the juke, and when Warren sang the line about "hiding in Honduras", the whole freakin' bar cheered...

Michael B

"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
I STAND IN AWE!

mb

UHHH...type the quote into Google.  The answer is the first hit.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk