Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 2878 times)

tombogan03884

Reloading
« on: January 04, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Do you folks care to discuss reloading. I'm new to it, I've been reloading .308 for my Rem 700 , just got dies for my.45. Popping out primers from some mixed brass I noticed that the Federal cases had a smaller primer pocket, I thought my eyes were play tricks on me so I measured some. Winchester and Fiocchi measured .208 +/-  but Federal was .172.
     How about components, when I get set up I'll be loading for .357 and .45 ACP. Any suggestions

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:08:37 PM »
Just about everything is discussed here.

Double check the Federal cases...they might be 45 GAP which is loaded with small pistol primers and I believe the cases are shorter. 
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

reloader

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »
Federal was first using small primer pockets in 45 Auto cases with their NT (non toxic) ammunition.  I believe Winchester also now uses small primer pockets in their NT ammo as well.  I think the Federal cases are crimped as well (NT).

Case sorting is thereby necessary for range pick up cases.

reloader

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
Yes the headstamp was Federal NT, Thankyou, I'm going to watch this thread as I know you folks will be trading info and recipee's (sp)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:38:11 AM »
Thanks reloader, I didn't know that and I read a lot.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:17:53 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:30:27 AM »
Excellent information,  I did  not know about the NT cases, Thank you very much.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:57:45 AM »
I knew .357 mag and other rimmed cartriges headspaced from the rim, I had not looked into that yet for .45, I knew it was differant and I would need to read up on it  but have not yet. On Guntalk I heard that it is from the rim,I'm a machine operator I can follow that, Then he said it could be hard to set .
   My question ,finally, Is this just a matter of feel when setting your die length, are there any safe shortcuts, or tricks,

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:25:33 AM »
Try getting/borrowing tape by Dillon Precision on reloading.  The info deals with their presses mostly but die adjustment should be the same for most if not all presses.  Their help line is great too.  You might even end up getting their equipment.

SlickRob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
  I would recommend you look into the Redding Competition Seating Die.  They are expensive, but you cannot beat being able to "dial in" the adjustment.
A just government has nothing to fear from an armed populace!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk