Author Topic: Michael's Conundrum  (Read 17842 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Michael's Conundrum
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »
Hi all!

Marshal and I are back in the proverbial saddle again after a few days at the U.S. Shooting Academy in Tulsa. This AM, I had the following email waiting for me...I was going to answer it myself, but upon reflection I decided to post it sans address) on the Forum and ask how you guys and guyettes would respond:

Dear Mr. Bane,
 The group of us (husbands and wives) up here in Montana appreciate the informaton disclosed from Shooting Gallery. However, we have noticed the hedious (liberal)  earring you wear when you are on the screen alone, then you lose it for the most part when on the range or with others while on screen. The approximate fifty of us conservative - non liberal folks up here in Montana are writing to you in the attempt for you to lose the earring completely when on the show before we simply boycot the show completely and start sharing this concept with other groups from here on up to Alaska.
Those "men" who wear earrings typically run in groups of the Hillary or Elton John types, not those who compete in IDPA, IPSC, etc....  Why don't you get Mas, Clint Smith, Tom Gresham, and others to sport the earring. You'd probably get shot.
Guess we'll see what your response is.
Thank you.

So what do you think?

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Michael's Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »
Hi Michael,

GREAT idea!!!  I'd keep the earring and work on posting a group photo of yourself, Mas, Clint and Tom wearing an earring.....perhaps a nice holiday card from Downrange TV and the Outdoor Channel.   I bet they'd love to do it.  I personally would enjoy seeing that photo, especially Clint Smith while holding his AR. 

Like Clint alway says......"Some people need to be shot."...... ::)
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »
Michael, please DO NOT be swayed by the "lobe challenged" minority.
I have worn an earring since I was 20. (Lots of years).
I was a bartender, cook, musician, carpenter, building contractor, EMT, firefighter, fire CHIEF, and I now work in engineering where I'm always in contact with union masons, carpenters, brickies, etc., and I shoot guns every chance I get.

I wore an earring through all of it, and people just had to learn that they got one free wisecrack and that was it. After that their safety was no longer guaranteed.

Obviously these folks have brains the size of their earlobes.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 02:11:25 PM »
Michael,  you just go ahead and wear it.  I'm not going to get one in support but this Dakota boy could care less.  Hey!  you didn't recommend grips for my nickel model 21-4 after you told me to shoot it.  Let me know what you think.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:35:31 PM »
If you like it keep it!

I even trade my pointed toe boots and wide brim hat for running shoes and baseball cap for many shooting events, because I hate slipping on my ass and prefer a certain type of hearing protection (huh ... what did you say ... damn ... should have switched years ago), but it doesn't change who I am and what I believe.

Besides, if your wife gave you that stud or it signifies something special in your life together, if the divorce didn't kill you the bullet hole would clash with the empty hole in your lobe.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:59:47 PM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
Personally, I am not in favor of the earring, looks silly sometimes. Don, me and others have given you grief for it in the past, jokingly - along with the flaming duck shirts or something like that.

BUT, I am in favor of people being themselves, doing what they please, and generally living their lives as the see fit. So it's really up to you.

And to the poster who quoted Clint, I know folks like this, being a neighbor of Montana here in ND. These folks are not among those Clint was referring to (I'm thinking more like those on the left coast, or fascists who want to run your life for you). Their world is one where the earring thing is just not done. That's the way their life is. If your life leans to earrings, so be it. Just have the courtesy to understand they get their opinion too - so long as it is not to take our rights away.

IMHO . . . . 8)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tumblebug

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. WHAT EVER TOOT'S YOUR BUGLE. And I have served for your right to do so .    STILL LURKING.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »

BUT, I am in favor of people being themselves, doing what they please, and generally living their lives as the see fit. So it's really up to you.

These folks are not among those Clint was referring to (I'm thinking more like those on the left coast, or fascists who want to run your life for you). Their world is one where the earring thing is just not done. That's the way their life is. If your life leans to earrings, so be it. Just have the courtesy to understand they get their opinion too - so long as it is not to take our rights away.

IMHO . . . . 8)
Maybe I read their email wrong, Pathfinder, but I think they were telling Michael to lose the earring or they would boycott and bad-mouth, etc., etc., etc. on up to Alaska. We're not talking about abortion here...we're talking about a small piece of jewelery.

Those folks seem to me to be a lot closer to those left coast fascists, and this goes way beyond them "having their opinion". "Do it or else" is the kind of crap you get from left field liberals. For that matter, that's the kind of crap you get from the Taliban.
I mean the way I read that, they are telling him, "Do what we say or we'll do everything we can to ruin you or slow you down".

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe they're joking?
You know what else? Turn it around... So WHAT if their "World is one where the earring thing is just not done"? MB's rights (among others) are free speech (wearing earrings), the right to bear arms, and (going all out) the pursuit of happiness. UNLESS, of course, he wants to pursue it in a way that someone from a very sparsely populated part of the country disagrees with.  
Like I said, maybe they're joking. In any case I go back to my own earring...everybody gets one free wisecrack. After that, you're on your own.

And a shout out to tumblebug! Folks like him served for MB's right to do what he pleases, so the hell with those folks.
Even though they make it sound that way, I'm sure they don't speak for Montana.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 03:20:48 PM »
Michael,

I e-mailed you about your earring a couple months ago.  I have nothing against it except it is a lot more noticeable than most.  What is it made from  Mastadon bone or something?  I say "keep it" so what if people question your manhood or whatever - even though you shoot guns and stuff!  
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Ugly

• Forum Member
  • Member Walco's Raiders and DGB #142
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
Wear what you want to.  An earring is not for me but, that's me.  You do what you want.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk