Author Topic: SIG Talk  (Read 8727 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
SIG Talk
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:00:15 PM »
On another thread, someone happened to mention they owned 8 (that is EIGHT ) SIGs!!!!!! :-\

I was depressed. So, to cheer myself up, I decided to show you mine - all 2 of them.

The first is a little gently used 12-year old P220 I picked up for not a whole lot. The little bit of wear in the ejector is the only wear I can find. Here's a shot:

Shoots great, far better than I can. Here's the other side:

Now, for the newby - and MB, did you ever get yours? - the SIG 556, shown here with its plastic magazine and a Truglo red-dot I got for it:

This is a real, well, Swiss army knife of a rifle. Some of the goodies include:

Plastic mag, shown here with a Magpul Pmag I got for it:

Gas port adjustor for those days when you're getting fouled but gosh darn it, I just don't want to stop shooting, so flip the little silver knob with the hole in it in the next photo, and more gas gets ported keeping the rifle running:

The black thingee on the lower rail is a Magpul ladder-type rail cover to smooth things out a bit, shown here pulled down a bit to show it off. Back to the 556 - battery storage in the butt plate for your illuminated optics:

Two sling mounts built into the collapsible stock:

Showing here with the battery storage compartment open; the 2 sling mounts are (1) in front of the control for the stock, and (2) above the battery storage "tubes".

And last but not least, for those year-round shoots even with heavy winter gloves on, a swing-away trigger guard:

Shoots great, it was cold, snowing, wind about 20 from behind when I sighted it in with the red-dot. Easy to clean, and the piston makes it light recoil and no muzzle rise. Very nice.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SIG Talk
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
I know this is heresy but I have one Sig and it is a POS.

The Mosquito.  Constant FTF and stove pipe.  Sent it back and though the slide feels like a race gun it still FTF and stove pipe.

No wonder they were 500 plus new and a year later you can get a used one for 239.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:19:04 PM »
I never got my 556, which sucks. I still think it has the potential to be a superior rifle. Until I get a chance to put it through its paces, it's hard to make a firm call.

I have two Sig pistols, my aging 225 9mm and a new 226 9mm that serves as my bedside gun (thought should tell you something!). The bedside 226 carries a Surefire X200 and 20-round mags. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a P250 for a long-term test.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

sfmittel

• Old Guy
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 09:38:14 PM »
I'M THE GUY!!  Nice photos, Pathfinder.  That 556 is a work of art, and I don't have one!  Actually, I've purchased nine SIGs, all this year, but I sold one for a net of eight in the safe.  If you want an incredible rapid-fire experience, try one of the Elite models with the short reset trigger and beavertail.  I know a lot of people whine about the aesthetics of the beavertail, but it really helps control muzzle flip by spreading recoil over a wider area of your hand. 

My latest, a P220ST, is still at the gunsmith's getting a BarSto barrel fitted.  Once I get it back, I'll take a family photo and figure out how to get it posted.  Enjoy those SIGs: the heirloom that you shoot. 
NRA Benefactor Life Member, USCCA Member, ARFCOM Life Member, GlockTalk Life Member, Harley rider

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
I never got my 556, which sucks. I still think it has the potential to be a superior rifle. Until I get a chance to put it through its paces, it's hard to make a firm call.

I have two Sig pistols, my aging 225 9mm and a new 226 9mm that serves as my bedside gun (thought should tell you something!). The bedside 226 carries a Surefire X200 and 20-round mags. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a P250 for a long-term test.

Michael B

The bedside 226 was the one you stood down the lion with, wasn't it? I remember someone - Don? - commending you for being so brave as to stand your ground against a big cat with a 9mm side arm.

The P220 (.45 ACP of course) is the one I pinged you about earlier this year, checking its sale price. I was not disappointed, it now rides in an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster with Fobus double mag holder. It is a brick though, need to wear suspenders when wearing these.

Sorry you haven't gotten your 556 yet - I waited 8 long months, which is why I ordered it in the snow and shot it in a different snow, with summer in between. Well, it is ND after all.  ;D

Thanks M'ette for the little yellow Santas.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:02:22 PM »

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »

Michael B[/color]

OK now this too much my bed side gun is a Sig 226 9mm ST that Ernie Langdon did for me with a Surefire X200 and 20-round mags

Jon
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »
Hey HAZCAT,

Mosquito's are ammo sensitive.  :(

I have had good luck with some very old CCI mini mags I think they call them and the Remington golden bullet stuff that comes bulk packed with either HP or solids at 525 rounds or so for around 10 bucks. :)

Also, I have noticed that after shooting several hundred plus rounds through mine, it seems to do better -- but not perfect by far -- with the Federal and Winchester stuff -- biggest problem with these is failure to eject.

But I have settled on the bulk pack Remington as the best for my Mosquito. I need to confess that since I put the SIG red dot on it last year sometime, I have not bothered to clean it! but I do squirt some oil in there on occasion and pull a gun snake through once in a while. I shoot about 60 rounds a week through it.

I like that the controls are the same as the other SIGs, but the heavy DA trigger sucks big time. With Win and Federal ammo I know I am going to get practice clearing various stoppages. Tap, Turn it over, Rack it, etc drill as taught at SIG. With Remington ammo I can practice the league course of fire with the .22 and then with another center fire SIG and save some pennys.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Bill,

I have over 2500 rounds through it and have tried every ammo there is.  When it shoots it is accurate but you never know if it will.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:57 AM »
Coming from the southern swamps of New Jersey, anything called a Mosquito can't be good.  ;D
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:09:52 AM »
Jaybeth,

Living in FL as I do, I should have picked up on that myself.  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk