Author Topic: Colt 1911 Mod 70 sights  (Read 16902 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Colt 1911 Mod 70 sights
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
The gun's ready!   At the dealer.   I'll pick it up and shoot it some  (100rds --- some).

I realized...not to late, that the BoMar rear sights were not fiber optic.   And I really wanted FO on both front and rear, so I've had to wait an extra week.

Got the magazines loaded and cash in hand.  Will report back tomorrow afternoon.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »
The new Series 70 doesn't have the extra Series 80 internal safety parts.  I believe that is the only difference.  I don't believe the new S70 has the collet bushing.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 05:43:35 AM »
Thanks, Richard.   

They aren't clear on that point, which to me was what set the'70 apart from prior models.     When I pick mine up from the dealer I'll see if he has one I can inspect.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »
FIRST:    My dealer called Colt and they said the '70 1911 replica's do NOT have the split fingered front collet/bushing.  They have a solid bushing.   BOO   HISS.

SECOND:  Here's my new sights.   I like them very much, though I was hoping for a brighter FO.  Having put 100rds through it this morning though.  It will do just fine.   Because the front one has a aperture it doesn't "flare" in bright light and They will be great for indoor or outdoor shooting.

Also while this work wasn't cheap, I now have common dovetails, front and rear which will allow for future sight changes at very little cost.

THIRD:  I've also included some pictures of my Taurus TCP sights which I painted with florescent white.

HERE's the Taurus.   The left rear paint has already worn off.   That's okay.   I think it's the front one that counts.

[No flash was used in this photography so as not to inconvenience any more photons than necessary.]
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »
I like those FO sights, what do you think of Tru - Glo with the tritium to illuminate the FO ?

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:22:44 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 03:57:31 PM »
I'm not into the Tritium thing.   Too expensive, drops to half brightness in about 12 years and on the whole, I'm just not into shooting in the dark.   It might be nice for some low-light conditions, but I don't foresee much use for me.  Probably if I played with a set on the range I'd fall in love, but for right now, I'll just stick with "static" FOs.

Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 04:07:57 AM »
Alf, why are you booing and hissing because there is no collet bushing?  That is a good thing because they had a habit of breaking one of the tabs off and tying things up solid...usually at the wrong time.  Quite often this meant a trip to the friendly gunsmith to clear the problem.  The accuracy shouldn't be affected that much.  If you have to have one and want to see your GS that much, I might be able to find one for you.  LOL

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:06 AM »
Alf, why are you booing and hissing because there is no collet bushing?  That is a good thing because they had a habit of breaking one of the tabs off .....

Richard

Well 2 reasons: 

First, and probably most importantly,  it isn't a true '70 without it.  That was one of the defining features when the model was introduced.    Without it the "reproduction".....well isn't. 

Secondly, I've checked with several gunsmiths (the latest specializing in 1911s....Colts especially) and not one has seen that happen.  Not saying it doesn't or hasn't, but from what I gather talking to 1911 shooters is that it isn't any bigger problem than anything else breaking on the guns.   What I have found is the "traditionalist" didn't like the change more than anything else.  My take is that Colt dropped the idea, bowing to bulls eye shooting community sentiments more than actual problems.

Mine is approaching the 5,000 round mark and I've broken the front sight off, but the collet hasn't been a problem.     

Just my observations.
Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 10:23:08 AM »
alf, back when I started shooting and competing a lot of shooters put 5,000 rounds thru a gun in a month or two!  Also, a lot of them carried a S70 as an LEO or for PP so that when reports of breakage came in or thru experience the CB was changed out.  Also, for competition...USPSA/IPSC or Bullseye most gunsmiths felt that a fitted oversized solid bushing was a must for top accuracy.  Back then they were "writing the book" on how to build an accurate .45 and then .38 super.

I located one if you want it.  Also check local gunshows you can quite often find an original Series 70 at about the same price as the repro.

Richard

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
Thanks for locating one Richard, but I have mine and am happy with it.   Buying another 1911 is sort of near the bottom, right now in priorities.

You have put the bug in my ear to try for some groups the next time I go to the outdoor range.

I still think it's an over exaggerated problem, just an opinion I know.   Really serious competitors shooting 1,000s of rounds a month are always going to experience more failures than a weekend warrior  like me that may never top 400 a month at my peak.   And while I could be deluding myself, I like to think the collet improves accuracy while not diminishing reliability and without a lot of fitting.

I'll post my results.  Of course, they won't mean a whole lot since I only have one load and it wouldn't be feasible to convert to a solid bushing for a comparison since the barrel would need to be swapped.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk