Author Topic: Bersa Thunder .380 - Thoughts...opinions  (Read 10106 times)

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bersa Thunder .380 - Thoughts...opinions
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
As I wait for my "stimulus" check to arrive...my thoughts have turned to the purchase of a new carry gun. My "New Gun Fund" is pretty limited right now...so I've been looking at the Bersa Thunder .380. One of my local gun shops has one in satin nickel for $300.

I've read nothing but good things about them...such as the article at GunBlast.com http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380-2.htm. And I know a couple of people who own one...and love it. So, I'm looking for opinions from others who own, or have shot/carried them.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

rojawe

• Top Forum Member
  • To the Republic for which it stands One Nation
  • Liked:
Re: Bersa Thunder .380 - Thoughts...opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
Go for it my buddy shoots the Bersa 380 and has several thousand rounds thru it and loves it
I have the Firestorm 380 and love it, To me since they are made by the same company I like the Firestorm a little better Stock finger groves on the hand grip and white outlined sights. buy some target or FMJ in bulk as the 380 is like anything else going thru the roof. ;D :o
EMPLOYERS STOP THE FLOOD E-VERIFY WORKS

John McCreery

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »
I really like them.  I had someone come through a ccw class and let me try it.  For the price, good stuff.  I've had several other students come through and the only time I've seen them hiccup is if someone is limp wristing.  These seem to be prone to that. 

TxPhantom

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
I have a Bersa T. 380 and it's a pretty good little gun. My wife has a Walther PPK/S 380 and it's a pretty good little gun. I like the Bersa better even though it's a much cheaper pistol.
That said, if I were you, I would spend a little more money and buy a decent 9mm pistol such as a XD, or a S & W M&P (my choice) , etc... You will make up the difference on cost of ammo. 380 ammo is much more expensive than 9mm with a lot less power. We seldom even shoot our 380's anymore. ::)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

That said, if I were you, I would spend a little more money and buy a decent 9mm pistol such as a XD, or a S & W M&P (my choice) , etc... You will make up the difference on cost of ammo. 380 ammo is much more expensive than 9mm with a lot less power. We seldom even shoot our 380's anymore. ::)

Bullseye!

Might I suggest the 9mm Glock 26...... its a great carry piece....... and like the man said, 9mm = .380 x 2
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:58:01 AM »

tumblebug

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
BERSA makes a 9 mm. Compact holds 13.

TxPhantom

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
I just noticed your name.  With a name like CZSHOOTER why not a RAMI for a CCW? I have a CZ75B in satin nickle, great shooting pistol! 8)

bulldawg

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 07:11:31 PM »
I've had a Bersa Thunder 380 for a couple of years now.  It's a good gun capable of decent accuracy.  You will find it shooting 3-4" groups at 50' though the short sight radius makes this a little difficult.  Also, be prepared for a greater than average effort to rack the slide owing to the blow back design of the pistol.  Overall it's a nice gun whose fit and finish is far beyond its price.  I have tried pocket carry with this piece, but found it too heavy for my tastes.  Better is a strong side belt holster - I really like this one, for instance:  http://gunnersalley.zoovy.com/product/H721OT

You won't be sorry on this one though it is easy to point out both more powerful pistols  in similar sizes (i.e. Karh P9) for significantly more $$, or smaller units that pack less punch (i.e. Kel Tec P32 in 32 Auto). 

Good Luck!

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
I just noticed your name.  With a name like CZSHOOTER why not a RAMI for a CCW? I have a CZ75B in satin nickle, great shooting pistol! 8)
I would LOVE to have a RAMI...but we're talking in the $500 range for one of those. Its a little out of my price range right now. My CZ 75B weighs 2 1/2 pounds loaded and is tough to conceal in the summer. I have a CZ 70 that I like a bunch, but its only a .32 and its hard to find mags for it. The Bersa is the same profile as the CZ 70 (both patterned after the PP/PPK) and was reasonably priced. I had thought about the CZ 83...but the double-stack mag makes the grip too fat (in my opinion).

I'm just looking for a summer carry gun. That, and I suffer from G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome).  ;D
I appreciate all the feedback.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

TxPhantom

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
I would LOVE to have a RAMI...but we're talking in the $500 range for one of those. Its a little out of my price range right now.

I'm just looking for a summer carry gun. That, and I suffer from G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome).  ;D
I appreciate all the feedback.

G.A.S.!!! That's funny, I like that and can relate. I'll have to borrow it from you sometime. ;D
I haven't priced the RAMI's but I'm sure you are right, around $500.00 and pretty heavy for summer wear. Some guys can carry three pounds of steel around all day (1911's) and be comfortable, not me though. I usually wear my S & W, J frame, 442 (mine has Crimson Trace laser grips) in a Desantis, Nemesis pocket holster in the hot Texas summer. It works well in the front pocket of shorts and also hides well just stuck in the elastic (and belted) waist band with a untucked t-shirt. J frames disappear easily and cost a little under $400.00.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk