Author Topic: Ejecting empty brass from a S&W 340PD  (Read 5427 times)

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ejecting empty brass from a S&W 340PD
« on: May 11, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
Hey I have a S&W 340PD and I'm having trouble with ejecting empty cases from the cylinder.  The ejection rod will push the cases out as far 
as it can, but it's to short for the .357's and the .38's. And the cylinder is keeping a firm grip on the end of the cases. I have to pluck each case out one by one. This of corse makes quick/tactical reloads rather difficult. Does any body have a solution to smooth out the cylinder walls or something to help get the empties out quickly? My carry load is the Federal .357 Mag 130Gr. (Low Recoil) hydra shocks. Thanks for any help you may provide.
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Ejecting empty brass from a S&W 340PD
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »
something is not right... got any pics?

I can think of several things it might be.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
How are you ejection the cases? Are you using your thumb to push the ejector ? if so, that is most likely your problem. With any short ejector gun what you should be doing is open the cylinder and transfer the gun to your left hand, rotate the pistol so the barrel is pointing up, then smack the ejector with the fleshy part of your hand...HARD, This should drive the empties out completely because you are using both force and gravity to expel them from the cylinder.

Hope this helps
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »
Here's a photo of the Cylinder.
Mike Kramer
2AF Life Member

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
you have any more pics from the side( both with the extractor pushed in and in the nomral position.) and with spent ( or new cases) during extraction?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:43:03 PM »

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
okay here's some side view of the extractor with cases
Mike Kramer
2AF Life Member

Ron J

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »
Send it back to S&W.  My experience, their customer service has been great.  Every now and then, something strange happens to perfectly good (or great) guns.  S&W will make it right. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
that really looks like it has the wrong exactor on it.   

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »
the extractor on his pistol looks the same as mine
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:27 AM »
You may want to try to find someone to polish the chambers or do it yourself if you feel confident (but it may void the warranty).  They may be just rough enough inside to be gripping the empties to make it difficult to extract.  I read somewhere that if you split a short piece of dowel rod and insert a length of emery cloth and spin it in the chamber with a drill that that would help polish things up.  Others said they used JB bore cleaner.  I haven't had to do either.

LOL

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk