Author Topic: IRC 2016 - Frostproof  (Read 8648 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
IRC 2016 - Frostproof
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
Hey in some states, November is anything but Frostproof.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I couldn't find if I had one entirely devoted to IRC 2016.  Here it is.  A few months to go, but whomever else is going, here's a place to chronicle your trip and experiences.

IRC is on the East Coast this year.  Possibly first time out of CA.  I hope there's a good showing.  I'm afraid though it may be a dying art form.  The Jedi of shooting.  None of the Micleks are even up-to-date members of ICORE. 

WELL AT LEAST I'm going to part of it.  I worked out calendar conflicts so I can drive down Wednesday, rest and reconnoiter Thursday, and shoot ALL DAY Friday.  I'll be dead.  The last 4-6 stages will be toast, but at least I'll be there. 

Our newly formed local ICORE club is holding 6 matches prior to the IRC.  They've done 4 classifiers so far and will continue with 1, maybe 2, each month.   I may have found the motivation to loose weight.   It's not the greatest reason, but it may be my motivation.  (Hey, I got my extra class ham radio license just so I could get into the vanity call sign process early.  Not a noble reason, but it worked.)  If I'm going to shoot 14 stages in one day, I've got to drop 30+ pounds.  Not to mention a little, forgive me, a lot of strength and aerobic training wouldn't hurt.

Hope others on DRTV join me.

My newly formed local ICORE

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: IRC 2016 - Frostproof
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »
Alf...if you are not familiar with the range, some aerial shots of the 2015 Area 6 multigun match... if you don't have a jogging stroller type of cart, I would suggest one... much easier to push... pretty good length from end to end, but is all covered... decent motels are at least 1/2 hour from the range...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_q1DjWodl4

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:03:15 AM »
Thanks, Les.  I do have a pull cart, the typical fold up kind.   I may look for something even easier to push/pull.  I'll cut back on all that I normally carry.  Guns, ammo, water, chair, towel, bug spray, sun screen.

I also need a better chair.  One that's higher up, almost a stool height.

Right now, I'm concentrating on the very basics.  Weight, endurance and strength training.   Well that and shooting skills.  Today is going to mostly be spent at the 50yd line checking gun accuracy and working on my long range shooting.    Next month will be mostly Glock month in prep for the River Bend GSSF match in July.
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:53:39 AM »
Your list reminds me of when I was going strong ... before career shifts and fun delays.

Motivation is what we need to make changes in life, and I found that an active shooting schedule was what fired me up the most to lose weight and get in shape ... round is a shape, isn't it?

As I worked with my grip strength I found an exercise that helped me a lot:  Start light and work up and down; Take two smooth flat items, and pinch them between your thumb and finger tips; Pinch them and raise them up and down with your arm at full extension; And do this with varying weights, so you can use just one, two, three, or all four fingers.  I even did this a couple times with 8" x 8" x 3/8" steel plates that I coated with motor oil, and I left my fingers oily.  You want to know where your finger muscles are?  Do this, and you will know the next morning  :-\

I used to have a bag chair that was a bar stool with arms.  It was very stable and strong, and perfect for shooting events, because it was lightweight, easy to set up, and very easy to get in and out of during a long grueling day at the range.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but I'm going to remind everyone of this anyway:  If you are looking for a new cart, go with the largest wheels possible.  When I built mine everyone else was using 12" and 14".  A few even used 8" pneumatic.  They gave me strange looks and comments when I used 20".  However, there is not a rut in the range that stops me, I don't even notice stones in the gravel, and I can go up and down stairs, curbs, and landscape timbers with ease when others need to get help lifting.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:58:08 AM »
a lot of us old guys use one of these folding stools from WalMart... just the right height that you can roll forward and not put pressure on your knees to get up

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:06:57 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
... just the right height that you can roll forward and not put pressure on your knees to get up

Yeah that's the idea, easy to get in and out of.  I can stand through a 5-6 stage match for most of it, but this will be a marathon.  I going to get something with arms and a back though.  Try it out at the GSSF Match in Dawnsonville GA in July.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:40:45 AM »
IT'S TIME.  IT'S TIME.

A number of work and personal conflicts have been resolved and I'm on my way.  Well, I wanted to leave this afternoon and have all day Thursday to familiarize myself with the range and stages, but looks like I'll be leaving early Thursday and will arrive after lunch.   18 hours behind my ideal schedule, but I'm going.

Got my "high" chair.  Have used it at several local matches and at the GA State USPSA.  Works well, easy on the knees.   Taking 2 backup guns.  I shoot a 5" 686, but taking my 4" IDPA gun and a old standby 6" 686.  A backup holster and backup speedloader holsters.   Got 16 speedloaders.  And 1,000 rounds of ammo.  That's excessive, but it's 500 rounds of Armscor and 500 rounds of reloads. 

They're reworking the final squading to consolidate some small squads, but I was in 3.  I shoot all day Friday.   Weather could be a tad cooler but I'll take low 80's as a high.   Shouldn't be near as bad as the USPSA match was.

Anybody else going, try to find me.  Team06, Dave, are you still around?  You are your son, who's what 21 now,  going?   There will be several shooters from my local club there as well.

Updates as I get the chance.   I'll only have my phone and iPad so updates may be scarce.   For security reasons, the wife doesn't want me to post to FB until I get back.   Will try to take lots of pictures and videos.

I know to Les and other competitors, this is routine, but to me it's the biggest thing I've shot in.   I wish I could stay for the whole thing, but I'll take a Friday shoot.  Only hope the sponsors are set up for Friday, especially Chiappa, the main sponsor, who will have guns to shoot.

Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »
Alf... good luck... I eat dinner with the chrono man most every Wednesday...he smokes Arturo Fuentes La Unica 200  8)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
Good Luck Alf!  By now you are in the midst of it, so I hope it is going well.

I've never regretted going to these events.  Glad you got it done!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 06:28:10 AM »
Alf... good luck... I eat dinner with the chrono man most every Wednesday...he smokes Arturo Fuentes La Unica 200  8)

Wish I had of known.  He was super nice and laid back.  Not overly officious like some.   I had an issue with my ammo and he worked with me to keep me in the game.   Tell him thank you from the kid shooting Armscore .38s on late Friday pm.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk