Author Topic: S&W Registered Magnum  (Read 3884 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
S&W Registered Magnum
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:09:36 AM »
Very interesting article at Rock Island Auction on famous Registered Magnums.  Or at least some of their famous owners.

The three featured owners are J Edgar Hoover, actor Gary Cooper and General Hatcher.  Oh, an these guns are up for auction soon.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/blog/3-smith-wesson-revolvers-with-famous-owners/?utm_source=Rock+Island+Auction+News&utm_campaign=29729e1f43-2017_07_21_SmithWesson+Revolvers&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1f4b8db853-29729e1f43-148922797

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: S&W Registered Magnum
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
Now known as the model 27 .
The model 13 proves that it is really heavier than it needs to be.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:03:08 AM »
I really wish S&W had not gotten away from counter bored chambers. Especially on their Magnum revolvers. It just looks cheap and stupid having that big gap at the ass end of the cylinder. Even my old, (1974), Ruger Super Blackhawk has them. It just makes the whole gun look better.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
And they're up for auction.   I'll just post the link to Gary Coopers revolver.   A mere $30-$50k is what's expected at auction.   You can find the others also listed at RIA.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/71/1251/gary-cooper-owned-sw-357-registered-magnum-revolver#detail

One of the very few they made in 4-1/2"

Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1121
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »
I only know what I've read about S&Ws but I don't think I've ever seen one with a 4&1/2" barrel.

There's one lot that has a H&K VP 70Z in working condition and a Mauser/Interarms HSc. I wouldn't mind having those just because I've never had either one. The VP70Z despite its flaws has some historical significance as the first plastic fantastic production pistol. I'd like to have the COP 4-barrelled .357 too. The first 50 lots alone are a nice collection. If only I had a ton of money . . .
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:23:41 AM »

Miguel15

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:59:34 AM »
How can I start the auction

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 05:58:05 AM »
How can I start the auction

I assume you mean bid in the auction.

FIRST:  BE AWARE.   Auctions are all geared toward the SELLER.  We, the buyers, pay all the auction fees.   Right now most auctions are running 15%-20% fee above the gavel price.   So you bid $800 what you think is a steel for a .500Mag, but you'll end up paying $960 PLUS whatever the shipping and FFL fees.   You have no control over those fees either.

Three ways, with Rock Island Auction.   
1)  Go to the auction yourself.  Register and obtain a number, then participate in the auction, live and in real time.

2)   Go to RIA web site, register, then place Pre-Bids for the items you want.  You basically set a beginning bid and a max bid.   On the day of the auction they include your bid and will increment it until you reach your max.  There's no real time opportunity to change your bid once the auction starts.

3)  In between these options is Proxibid.com   There you can participate live, via Proxibid, and actually bid in real time.   Trouble is these auctions move very fast and there's no guarantee the Proxibid agents on site will get your bid place before it closes.

Will work for ammo

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 07:36:59 AM »
I assume you mean bid in the auction.

FIRST:  BE AWARE.   Auctions are all geared toward the SELLER. We, the buyers, pay all the auction fees. Right now most auctions are running 15%-20% fee above the gavel price.

It's much the same with all these classic car auctions. Barrett Jackson collects 8% from the seller, and 10% from the buyer. That's 18% for EVERY car they slam the gavel on. Add that up over hundreds of cars in a weeks time. And the $ MILLIONS of dollars they sell for, and auctioneering becomes a very lucrative venture.

There are also ticket sales for the public to enter the fairgrounds, merchandising, food, advertisers and more. It doesn't all happen for free. Barrett Jackson has to pay a large staff. Rent the facilities. Provide insurance to cover themselves, the people who attend, along with all of the vehicles. But it is, none the less very profitable. Their name alone adds to the "sellability" and price of most any vehicle there.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
auctions.... Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona just went for $17.75 million at auction....obviously some have retired more graciously than I have   

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
auctions.... Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona just went for $17.75 million at auction....obviously some have retired more graciously than I have

That’ll buy a barrel full-o-salsa!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk