Author Topic: Building a custom AR  (Read 4752 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Building a custom AR
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »
Seeing KPR's new AR got me thinking.  If you were building up a lower, and then either building or buying an upper, what would you put together?

I'm not sold on the gas pistons yet as there seem to be so many variations out there, so for now I would stick with the conventional gas system.  I like the mid length gas system on a flat top.  Free float tube with not a lot of rails. Hogue grip. Rock River tactical carry handle rear sight and conventional front sight, or maybe a railed gas block with a removable front sight.  I like the Rock River coyote rifle gas block.  Probably a enhanced trigger guard.  Collapsible stock, but nothing fancy. 
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
Re: Building a custom AR
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06:58 AM »
Hey BW

Like you said, I just built a new AR so I've been thinking about the same thing.  As I mentioned in the other thread, there are a few things I like and put on almost every AR I have. 

• Ergo or Hogue grips
  • Magpul enhanced trigger guard
  • Decent flip up BUIS
  • Middy or RLGS for reliability
  • Good FH...not just the A2 birdcage

I'm with you also...I'm souring on a lot of rails.  Overdone and I don't hang that much on my rifles.  I like the smooth handguards that allow you to put rails only where you want them.  YHM makes a nice one that is about 1/3 the cost of others.

KPR
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Badgersmilk

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »
No offense intended!  But it is good stuff.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:10:18 AM »
Magpul MIAD grip with multiple cores
VLTOR stock
flat-top upper
good back-up sights, e.g. ARMS

I agree with KPR on the smooth fore-end - I got a YHM fore-end that has full rails on the top and sides, but a short forward rail on the bottom, with a smooth (parkerized) round shape where the hand goes.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:00:31 AM »
It really depends upon two things.  What you want to do with the rifle and how much you want to spend.  There is such a huge aftermarket parts and accessories industry that many times it comes down to what looks good to you.

I would suggest you look at some of the pictures threads on AR15.com or M4Carbine.net to get an idea of how you may want to build up your AR and what it may look like before you lay out cash on your pet project only to find you don't like how a particular part "looks" on your setup.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:19:54 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1121
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
I don't really pimp mine out. I just changed grips and put a free float tube on one of them. The other one has a $6 plastic rail on it to hold a foregrip and flashlight. I put a JARD trigger in one and changed a couple other small parts.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 07:13:02 PM »
Agree with jumbo,.... simple, functional, high speed, low drag, just enough to cover your application.

Less is more. Put the "goodies" in the "guts, nuts, and bolts" and it will be a real keeper.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »
Seeing KPR's new AR got me thinking.  If you were building up a lower, and then either building or buying an upper, what would you put together?

I'm not sold on the gas pistons yet as there seem to be so many variations out there, so for now I would stick with the conventional gas system.  I like the mid length gas system on a flat top.  Free float tube with not a lot of rails. Hogue grip. Rock River tactical carry handle rear sight and conventional front sight, or maybe a railed gas block with a removable front sight.  I like the Rock River coyote rifle gas block.  Probably a enhanced trigger guard.  Collapsible stock, but nothing fancy. 
Im not sure that building is the way to go since prices are so good. Gas piston rifles under 900.00 and a good duty carbine under 700.00. From there you can add on. Depends on how many bells and whistles you want.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »
Im not sure that building is the way to go since prices are so good.

Except I got to build it the way I wanted from the get go, versus buy a "good duty carbine" for $700, spend time taking it apart, putting all the new parts on, then either trying to sell them one by one or just putting them in a box.

I didn't build to save money.  I built to get the gun I wanted.  And I can guarantee you the gun I built isn't offered by anyone as a stock item.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 09:25:35 PM »
I didn't see this thread when I posted mine 5 minutes ago so I'll take mine down and repost here.
I am going to bite the bullet (haha) and build an upper for me, myself and I. I want an upper built off a STAG upper reciever (just like my M&P15) with a 11"-14.5" barrel. Any recommendations on who would offer such a thing or parts there of. And are there any legal issues with the length if I'm building it myself. I am in Ohio so there are no WHACKED out laws here to speak of. My vision is a flat top with free floated barrel 11"-14.5" with quadrail and troy flip sights. Look at the M&P15T but shorter. Any thoughts ideas or suggestions. I know you guys are never short on opinion.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk