Author Topic: Charles Daly Going Belly Up  (Read 4553 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Charles Daly Going Belly Up
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »
http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1744

Too bad, they made some nice guns. This is yet another firearms company to tank in the last few years. It's a tough business to make money in.  Bill T.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Charles Daly Going Belly Up
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
MB commented on Daly in his video podcast, made a good point about them not being focused in a very focused field - shotguns, 1911s, cowboy pistols and ARs. Other than the ARs, none were made here.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what they were involved in with the Jericho guns. I have a IWI, (Israel Weapon Industries) "Baby" Desert Eagle, but this gun is literally all over the map. Desert Eagle / Magnum Research was involved with it, as was IMI, as was Jericho / Charles Daly. It's a hell of a gun. An all steel .45 ACP for under $500.00. How can you beat that?

This gun runs like a top, and now I don't know if it's even being produced, let alone by whom?? Such is the gun industry. Much like an 11:00 AM soap opera.   Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
 The Shooting wire mentioned this Monday and included a comment that the Import portion of the business would be reorganized.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1744

Too bad, they made some nice guns. This is yet another firearms company to tank in the last few years. It's a tough business to make money in.  Bill T.
Actually lately they have been importers. They really made NO guns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Handguns: 1911 Steel Pistols, from 1998 until 2008 from Armscor in the Philippines. Beginning in 2009, the new G4 model is being produced by BUL Transmark in Israel. M5 Polymer Framed 1911 Pistols from Bul in Israel since 1997. A clone of the Browning Hi-Power was produced in the US from 2002 to 2006 with components from FEG in Hungary and final manufacturing by either Dan Wesson Firearms or Magnum Research in the US. 1873 style single action revolvers were manufactured by F.LLI Pietta of Italy in the mid-2000s.
While not technically under the Charles Daly brand, KBI resumed importing the Jericho 941 Pistols from Israel Weapons Industries (IWI) Ltd. in 2009.
Rifles: Bolt action Mauser and Mini-Mauser rifles were produced by Zastava Arms in Serbia from 2002 until 2005. 1892 lever action rifles are produced in Italy by Armi Sport de Chiappa. In 2008 they entered the AR-15 market with a US produced line of AR-15 type rifles and carbines under the Charles Daly Defense brand.
Shotguns: Over and under, side by side, pump action, and semi-automatics are currently produced in Turkey. All of the pumps and semi-autos are made by Akkar in Istanbul, but Sarsilmaz and ATA also produced semi-autos for Daly during the mid-2000s. Between 1996 and 2005, side by sides came from Zabala Hermanos in Spain and over & unders came from Sabatti in Italy. From the mid-1960s to the mid-70's, Miroku of Japan, the producer of Browning shotguns and rifles, manufactured the over & under shotguns for Daly
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:15:23 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »
I'm stunned nobody picked up the company name (Cerberus, or the like)!  Even in the world of optics you see most all the companies are bought out when times get tough, & their new ownership can be tracked back on a single private investment group in Europe somewhere.  Bushnell is owns quite a few other brands.  Including Tasco, which in turn owns a few of the new "high end" optics brands offered today.  Then of course Bushnell is owned by said "European private investment group".  The whole weapons industry can be tracked down to a very few names anymore.  :( 

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 892
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
I don't know what CD's reputation is world wide.  Around here we hear of their 1911's occasionally and their shotguns.  Mostly the cheap shotguns are marketed, and most dealers use them as a price point to get you to "buy up."  Their quality is blasted in most shops and shows around here  with common phrases like - "They are an inexpensive gun that will get you by for a reasonable price."  "They are rough, and the best thing to do is run 250 rounds through them to break them in and smooth the action out before you use it for trap, hunting or self defense."  Comments like these will kill a brand quicker than anything.

I have a Lux built in December 1976 that is the finest over under I have ever shot ... bar none!  I have looked at the CD web site hoping to find someone that deals in their new fine guns.  They appear to have a good selection, but no one around here carries the better guns.  And, if I request it I get comments like earlier.

Regardless of their reputation it is always sad to lose a company.  I wish someone had purchased it and kept it operating taking the best and fixing the weaknesses while combining it with another fine line of firearms.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:28:31 AM »
I've got a Daly Maxi Mag field. Good inexpensive shotgun (And lightweight, too), but I don't hit well with it (Or any long barreled shotgun for that matter.), and a 24 inch or shorter barrel isn't available for the 3 & 1/2 inch magnum. Maybe I should go out and buy one of their stainless 20 inch barreled guns with rifle sights while I still can.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk