Author Topic: AR parts kit  (Read 14932 times)

nupe

• Very Active Forum Member
  • 4/19/1775
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR parts kit
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
Alright so I got the bright idea to try and build an AR from scratch.  I already have the stripped lower lined up, but I need to find a full parts kits.   I'm thinking that I'll go with a dissipator setup with an A3 upper, chrome lined barrel and chamber, and a standard 6-position stock.  I'm not looking for anything fancy.  I just want something handy that will go bang when I pull the triger.  I've been looking at Model 1 Sales and I like their setup, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other sources for about the same price (600).

tombogan03884

Re: AR parts kit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
Make sure you get the CARBINE buffer.
There IS a difference  

Cutter68CB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
Nupe,
     I got the same bright IDEA about this time last year and have built 6 AR's since then. I didn't know about this Forum back then or I would have asked the same questions as you are now...I did ask around and look at Gunbroker.com at feedback on sales of the items needed to build AR's. I learned that Model 1 uppers were OK but that sometimes they have problems with the fit of some of the lower parts. I bought all my stripped uppers and lower's from the same company to insure they would have the best fit. I also bought (brand name) LPK's lower parts kits, for the same reason. Most of my accessories are either Magpul or Yankee Hill Machine, both companies have good product at good prices.
    I did build 1 long range gun using a YHM upper mated with a DPMS DCM 20" SS barrel assm. I used a free float YHM rifle length hand guard. It works well and has proven to be as accurate as I am. The barrel came from Midway USA for around $200.00 A really good barrel for the price. The trickeist part I had to learn was the installation of the Hammer Spring!
     Everything I did was trial and error, but finally I have 6 working rifles and proud to say I did them myself. Hope this helps a little.

Cutter
(Prepare for the Worst and Don't always expect the Best!!!)

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
I'm relying on Midway and the videos at Brownell's.

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:14 AM »
Oddly enough I noticed that 'Model 1 Sales' has a 6.5mm kit (Grendel, I assume) which caught my eye as I want a 6.5G so bad I would become celibate for it (for a couple weeks anyway). I actually thought about how I could fund a buy for this until the AR antibodies noticed and destroyed the infection. I still won't buy an AR of any kind, not even if it means no 6.5 Grendel.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:33:15 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 03:19:32 AM »
Its the little stuff that scares me about this process. I looked at DIY with both AKs and ARs. You save money, get what you want, no compromises and no extras, and know you did it yourself. So far so good. I am not a gunsmith, but I reckon I can fit tab A into slot B given a manual and a video (good call Tom). What gets me is the little stuff, the tiny tweaks to springs, the gap that needs to be closed a little, but not too much. My question is, what would someone like operator, who has done this a hundred times, charge if you mailed him a box of your chosen parts and asked him to do it for you? Would it be a wise call, or are you just pissing money away?
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
AR is fairly easy to build complete, the only AR specific tools you need are the barrel wrench, and the block for mounting the receiver in a vice, an AK requires the trunnions to be welded into place and I think (could be wrong ) that the barrel is welded as well.
FQ, you could handle building an AR, with a minimum of advice.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
The first AR I built I didn't have any idea how to do it.

I bought a kit and sat down with an AR I already had and figured out where everything belonged. It did take a while. Now I can assemble one in no time.

If you can't figure out how to put it together you're probably too stupid to own it.  :P  ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
The first AR I built I didn't have any idea how to do it.

I bought a kit and sat down with an AR I already had and figured out where everything belonged. It did take a while. Now I can assemble one in no time.

If you can't figure out how to put it together you're probably too stupid to own it.  :P  ;D
Agreed, but my concern was the little things, the tweaks. Its like the difference between buying a lower from company A and a reciever from company B. Yeah they're both mil spec, but will they fit exactly? What about the bolt assembly, trigger group etc.? Anybody who can read and follow directions can build one, but the same is true of cooking. Two people can follow the same recipe, and one's food will be better based on a feel for the process. I just wasn't sure how much of this carried over to putting a rifle toghther.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »
Those are questions that require range time .    ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk