Author Topic: AR on weapons of the Chosin Few  (Read 5760 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR on weapons of the Chosin Few
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
Can't fault the military or the designers though.
When these weapons were designed the focus was on Europe, North Africa, and the Pacific Islands, who in their right mind would even think of putting troops in -40 temps ?
Newer weapons are tested for that type of cold as well as extremes of heat. It's one lesson that was not only learned, but remembered.
Yep. I apologize for sounding like Badger here though, because I LIKE my "poodle shooter". Stilll., if I were going to the swamp, the sandbox, or the "Frozen Choisen" today? I have to say, I'd take an AK  over any other option. Who cares if the lube wants to freeze or gum up? Lube? What's that? Its the same reason I've wondered what moron stopped the US military from carrying 10mm or .45 caliber Glocks. ???
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
Yep. I apologize for sounding like Badger here though, because I LIKE my "poodle shooter". Stilll., if I were going to the swamp, the sandbox, or the "Frozen Choisen" today? I have to say, I'd take an AK  over any other option. Who cares if the lube wants to freeze or gum up? Lube? What's that? Its the same reason I've wondered what moron stopped the US military from carrying 10mm or .45 caliber Glocks. ???
FQ13

Congress.   ;D

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »
The US military has never carried 10mm or .45 cal Glocks!  Back to the Frozen Choisn, most of all those observations of the .30 M2 Carbine failing to stop was more likely do to the fact that the troops failed to hit their targets.  Firing a burst or full mag from an M2 at 100yds is garrented to do nothing but miss and make noise.  As far as weapons malifunctioning, another example of the military failing to provide adequte weapon lubicates, proper clothing and maintance at the time.  Same type of feasco happened when fielding the M16 later without cleaning equipment, non chrome lined bores/barrels and changing the type of powder (creating more fouling).

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
I have to argue with you about some of that CD.
The M 1/ M2 carbines built a good reputation in any reasonable climate, both during WWII and in Vietnam, according to my Dad, who got there about 4 months after Chosin, the carbines worked fine in the summer, but in the winter, if you went into a heated bunker you had to leave your carbine outside or condensation would form on the steel , when you took it back out side it would freeze up.
The other weapons had more power and heavier parts so they were less prone to jamming from this.
But they all had to be run un-lubed in winter.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
Plus they were shooting through the padded Chi-com winter clothing. Not body armor, but trying a 100 hard yard shot with an M2? Makes a glorified pistol worse. 30 yards in a jungle or house to house maybe. 100 yards plus in an ice bucket? I'd sure as hell have rather had an AK or an M-14 or a Garand than an M-16 in that environment myself. Forget the M1 or M2.
FQ13

I also remember reading somewhere that the ChiCom soldier made a habit of putting large pieces of scrap steel inside their coats in order to survive the mass charges. That would certainly stop a carbine round and maybe even a rifle round....
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:44:20 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
Yep. I apologize for sounding like Badger here though, because I LIKE my "poodle shooter". Stilll., if I were going to the swamp, the sandbox, or the "Frozen Choisen" today? I have to say, I'd take an AK  over any other option. Who cares if the lube wants to freeze or gum up? Lube? What's that? Its the same reason I've wondered what moron stopped the US military from carrying 10mm or .45 caliber Glocks. ???
FQ13

DoD as always , required a manual safety, Glock refused to modify "perfection", so the Army told him where it would perfectly fit  ;D
Besides, US law requires that US military small arms be US made, at the time of the selection process Glock had not yet opened their US factory, Sig and Beretta were already in production.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk