Author Topic: AR Modifications Question  (Read 4775 times)

nupe

• Very Active Forum Member
  • 4/19/1775
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR Modifications Question
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »
So after having built my AR last summer I've decided that I want to update the sights, handgard, and eventually put an EOtech on it.  My question to you guys is, do I put a low-profile gas block on it and then a free float handrail with a flip up front sight, or do I go with a two piece handgard and keep the frontsight gas block.  My biggest thing is when I put the EOtech on it, I don't know how much that fixed front sight would get in the way.  Any ideas?

tombogan03884

Re: AR Modifications Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »
new gas block for sure, hand guards will not bother, but getting the EOtech at the right hieght to co witness with the iron sight post is a PITA, much simpler to just change the block and use flip up BUIS.

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »
I can't speak for EOTechs but my aimpoint cowitnessed perfectly with my A2 FSB.  I loved it. 

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
I was all gung ho to remove my standard front sight...but apparently I didn't have a big enough hammer :-[....before I mounted a telescopic sight but it didn't interfere at all, I know you can see the sight through a 'red dot' - but try it first - you haven't lost anything.
Best Wishes, Mike.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
It's really personal preference more than anything. Most people say you don't even notice the FSB. If I use a rifle with an Eotech (somebody else's since Eotech's don't work well for me) I don't see the FSB with both eyes open. If I want a more precision shot I can close my weak eye and perfectly (height wise) co-witness with the Eotech.

They're a great sight but if you either have an astigmatism or if you've had corrective laser eye surgery then try before you buy. No matter what I do I (and most others with the stated conditions) can't get the holograph to come into focus. It looks like somebody dropped it and damaged it whenever i look through one. Ironically if I look through a clone Eotech the reticle is perfect. That's the easiest way for me to spot a fake.

Personally if I already had a FSB rifle I'd never remove the FSB. Look at the Daniel Defense 12" FSB rail if you want a slick setup. This gives you top rail space in front of the FSB for light and or laser options on your sight plain. I know this is Larry Vickers setup of choice. If you don't need so much rail look at the Daniel Defense Omega 7". I run this setup on my work rifle. It's a full free-float rail that works with your FSB. It's a very solid setup and is easy to install. If you don't need any or not much rail then save money and run the Magpul MOE. It's a nice upgrade over standard CAR rails but is very reasonable.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:03:16 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:45:34 AM »
You can never go wrong with try before you buy, however I run an Eotech, Aimpoint and a Leuopld 1.5 x 5 all with standard FSB, in operation this has never been a problem, yes you can see it, but under operation, you really don't.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
That's great for you guys, but I got so fed up trying to get a red dot that did not center on the post itself that I finally said f*#k it and put a carry handle and conventional sight on. If I set up another upper it will be a total flattop dedicated to optics. I wound up with 3 Leapers, lifts and still could not get within the adjustment range of the red dot sight.     ???
From now on I will go either /or.
(I'm thinking over some very definite "or's"   ;D  )

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
That's great for you guys, but I got so fed up trying to get a red dot that did not center on the post itself that I finally said f*#k it and put a carry handle and conventional sight on. If I set up another upper it will be a total flattop dedicated to optics. I wound up with 3 Leapers, lifts and still could not get within the adjustment range of the red dot sight.     ???
From now on I will go either /or.
(I'm thinking over some very definite "or's"   ;D  )
That's interesting, the only Eotech I've ever seen that wouldn't line up on the stock mount was the XPS and it lined up perfectly once I put it on a LaRue mount.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

LittleRed

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:04:54 PM »
Like other have said, try it the EOTech alone, you lose nothing.

I am assuming you have a carbine. If that's correct, I don't know what kind of priority I would personally put on free-floated hand rail.

A lot would have to do with your purpose for it.

I am not speaking from experience, and if I had the option, I would like a free-floated rail, but I would put that money in an optic, a good backup iron sight, a sling, more mags, ammo, etc before the free-float option. I had a quad rail on mine and went back to the carbine hand guards (smaller and lighter than the M4 hand-guards). For me, the primary purpose of the hand guards is a place to put my hand and hold the carbine and put in on target—not really to decorate and hang stuff off of.

To me an EOTech (or Aimpoint) is for closer ranges where the advantage gained by free-floating isn't seen all that much.

As far as the front sight you can either co-witness or 1/3 "co-witness". I like the latter, as the front is out of your way, but still very usable if needed. Others don't like having a different cheek weld for irons and dot.

If you have a rifle and not a carbine forget everything I've said and have a good day ::)

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
That's interesting, the only Eotech I've ever seen that wouldn't line up on the stock mount was the XPS and it lined up perfectly once I put it on a LaRue mount.

+1 same with my rifle with the Aimpoint or Eotechs. LaRue mount is not cheap but the way to go if you can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk