Author Topic: AR15 build questions  (Read 6021 times)

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR15 build questions
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:59:38 AM »
Hello guys I am starting my first ar15 build. I am ordering a stripped Spikes Tactical lower reciever today. I am not brand loyal to any company I just want decent American made parts that aren't rediculously priced. In my research it seems prices range from reasonable to "what are they made of gold?" type prices.I want mine to fire 5.56/.223 and I want a 16 barrel. I want a collapsible buttstock and flip up sights. This is a budget build I don't need a lot of money tied up in a rifle I just plan on playing with. Here's where I can use some help. Who is a good supplier to buy the rest of what I need. I will be accumulating parts and I am not in a rush now that I have my lower coming. I wanted to make sure I had it before the election. There are so many gadgets and gizmo's and tools listed for the ar's help me cut through the BS what do I need to build my rifle. I don't see me building a lot of them maybe a .22 lr upper and maybe a 6.8spc or 6.5 Grendel upper. I know opinions vary but advice is appreciated. I will add I am not a gunsmith but I can work on most things. I do know a good gunsmith if I need help but like I said this is a buget build. Also I will add I don't need it to be a tackdriver. If it shoots 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards with bulk ammo I'm fine with that.  I appreciate the help.

tombogan03884

Re: AR15 build questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
2 words,

1) Brownell's

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10001/Products/Rifle-Parts

http://www.ar15builder.com/  (Step by step "how to" videos )

2) Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/

If they don't have it you'll have to invent it.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
DJ454,
If he doesn't weigh in here, PM bafsu......he has detailed in several threads about what, where, and how to do quality builds that won't kill the budget.

Good luck on the build.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
dj...there are some specialty tools needed... good barrel nut wrench... good pin punches to remove sight tower, and barrel "v" blocks or receiver blocks to allow you to clamp the upper in a vise to assemble the barrel to the upper... its a lot easier to buy a complete upper unless you want the experience of doing it

the lower is not much problem needing specialty tools...castle nut spanner if you go with a collapsible stock, but a good punch will work

go with "mil-spec" parts if they are within the price range
I'd recommend
a chrome-moly barrel with hard chromed chamber and bore
bolt carrier that shrouds the firing pin (M16 carrier is legal in an AR15)
full float tube for consistency
if you plan on playing rifle games, a good trigger is needed... I like RRA NM two stage triggers, but there are a lot on the market
the SOPMOD style cheek piece on a collapsible stock like the RRA Operator aids long range consistency
a pistol grip that extends the finger to trigger distance like a Faclon ERGO really helps.
if you plan on playing rifle games, an ambidextrous safety allows you to manipulate the safety as you change side to side barricades
save your money, and buy good optics if possible... there are some very good scopes out there

good luck and enjoy... you will really appreciate your rifle if you play games and really learn to shoot it... like 3gun or tactical rifle matches

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
Les I will probably end up shooting some competition. They have a 2 gun tactical match at my range. I know I'm going to want a good trigger no matter what but for now I'll have to stick with the mil spec trigger. Most of the good triggers I have looked at are in the 200 range. I thought about buying a complete upper but most of them are fairly exspensive. I don't mind building the whole rifle but I would have to buy,borrow the tools or pay a gunsmith to install it. I will look at the cost of the tools since I will probably build more uppers later. If I could find a complete upper in the price range I'm willing to pay I'd go that route and that might be my best bet. Theres just so many tools and "must haves" everywhere I look it makes sorting out the facts difficult sometimes.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:30:29 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
bafsu (and me), also highly recommend http://palmettostatearmory.com/ good bunch of guys, prices are very competitive with the same stuff BCM and Brownells have. Just an FYI and a very reliable source.

When I built mine, I had a bug telling me "I'll get a super dee duper trigger later"......I used a Bushmaster Lower parts kit on my P.O.F lower, and with the stock Bushy trigger, was a match made in heaven... It is very snappy, take up is minimal and reset is as crisp as fresh garden celery.

You do not need a gunsmith, as posted just a few tools. Do you plan a Delta Ring or free float? I like the free float, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Rock River sells complete uppers, made in the USA, and are very reasonable as well. I nit picked with a Colt HBAR cold forged barrel, Daniel Defense upper, Yankee Hills free float carbine handguard, and A.R.M.S 71 flip up BUIS.

Not many tools needed. and AIM Ar-15 wrench is $20 it's a multi tool of sorts for the AR. Check out Brownells "How to" videos on the AR... a small punch kit can be had pretty cheap. A razor blade holds the front take down spring in place for the pin to be installed you don't need that tool....

I actually used this vid to help. Went without a hitch..... Little blue masking tape, urethane, or solid rubber mallot, for the bolt release pin. and everything else is no problem...

Good luck, post pics..It's nice shooting one you built for the first time....

Shameless Papa Plug for my Frankenstein:

Before the vented YHM handguard.

all started with this

8)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:27:58 AM »
TWYacht it's funny you should mention Palmetto State Armory. I ended up ordering my lower from them because the Spike's lower was sold out. I had been thinking about them they were a little cheaper and I live in NC and SC is like our little brother. I looked at Del Ton also since they are made here in NC but they were a bit more exspensive. I do want a free float barrel but cost will be the determining factor. I have been looking at DPMS lower parts kit but I'm open to other manufacturers again the DPMS was the cheapest but I'm open to.suggestions.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »
I like the Wison Combat drop in single stage trigger because of how it breaks, resets and drops in easily.  Take a gander at the FailZero uppers....especially if you are going to run a can and need to cut back on lube to reduce the gunk from running a can.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:19:18 AM »
Here's another Carolina resource you might not know about out of Murrels Inlet.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-AR15-PARTS/Categories

They also have fantastic Saiga parts and accessories...(which I utilized)... ;)

Spent 20 years in NC, from Mooresville to Wilmington. Compared to S. FL, I miss it. :-\

This site has a complete Del-Ton upper for $399. or a complete upper with 6 pos stock, tube, buffer and lower parts kit (everything but the lower), for $469.

http://www.classicfirearms.co/semi-auto%20rifles.htm

I keep my C&R on file with them. They get good deals on Moisins and AK variants all the time. Good ammo prices also.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
TWYacht it's funny you should mention Palmetto State Armory. I ended up ordering my lower from them because the Spike's lower was sold out. I had been thinking about them they were a little cheaper and I live in NC and SC is like our little brother. I looked at Del Ton also since they are made here in NC but they were a bit more exspensive. I do want a free float barrel but cost will be the determining factor. I have been looking at DPMS lower parts kit but I'm open to other manufacturers again the DPMS was the cheapest but I'm open to.suggestions.

DPMS is good.
A word of advice, don't compromise, build what you want the first time.
You said early that once you got the lower before any new laws the time  was no longer an issue.
If it takes a little longer to save for the free float barrel then save a little longer and build the gun you want instead of one that you will always have regrets about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk