Author Topic: 300AAC optics?  (Read 11384 times)

MarkCO

• Forum Member
    • Carbon Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 300AAC optics?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
If you want a scope, a Burris MTAC in 1-4 or 1.5-6 would be my suggestion as well.  They are great.  I have the 1.5-6 on my .450BM and I use the 1-4 on several other carbines.  If you are really looking at SD and 100 yards and in, a true 1x on the bottom allows the true both eyes open sighting which is the fastest.  Get the gun and sights on the target as fast as possible, then make sure you press the trigger correctly...I am sure you have heard that before, and it really is true!

My .300 BO for close in work has a Green Laser and BUIS.  This one is pretty good:  http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/type/green-lasers/01-3460

I shoot about 3MOA with this laser at 100 yards...but, inside of 50 yards, there is nothing faster and the FOV is "infinite!"

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
Bic,

You might consider another option at around $150: the Redfield Counterstrike is a 1X red/green dot that has a separately adjustable red laser on it. Use the red/green dot for your 16 point buck at 100yds or less and the red laser for BG, most of whom like to work at night anyway. That system allows you to zero in the dots at 100yds and the laser at 25yds giving you a dual use optic that is readily available without swapping sights or changing settings. System weighs less than a pound. The one real issue is the laser is slung under the optic, so make sure you have no obstructions (like iron sights) in front of it. Just a thought. Perhaps some of the more experienced gunners can chime in?
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

MarkCO

• Forum Member
    • Carbon Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
You might consider another option at around $150: the Redfield Counterstrike is a 1X red/green dot that has a separately adjustable red laser on it.

I have not used it, but it is a very good concept.  I use the Burris version and I truly love it on my "Night" rifle.  Just be aware that the red laser is not going to be very visible outside in the daylight.  Definately worth the consideration.

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »
I just took delivery of my upper and checked it for function - works great. If it wasn't dark & raining (Hooray!!!) I'd make pics - maybe tomorrow.

I have green (Viridian) lasers on a couple of pistols and I'm really diggin' the idea of something like the MTAC plus a laser for close stuff. Thanks for all the inspiration - pics later
Best Wishes, Mike.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »
One thing to keep in mind and double check. Some states don't allow lasers (or any light that projects forward) on firearms used for hunting. Be careful not to get in trouble with the gaffe warden.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:17:04 PM »

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
One thing to keep in mind and double check. Some states don't allow lasers (or any light that projects forward) on firearms used for hunting. Be careful not to get in trouble with the gaffe warden.

I think that is the case in Texas, I'll have to read the book to see if just taking the battery out would be OK - thanks for the reminder.
Best Wishes, Mike.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
Even if taking the battery is "ok"    its not something you want to argue in the field.  Never expect  a leo( game wardens can be, not always) to know the law.  Its just not worth it.      ps, its really awesome when you make a leo read the cvc in court and they were 100% wrong.   its also great when the judge rips them a new one for it.    :)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »
300aac update:

The story so far..
                           After too much time surfing the global interweb and soliciting advice I jumped in using the good sense from neither source.

I saw a Burris TAC30 at BassPro in San Antonio last time I went to the Big City at the same price that Midway has it, so I sprung for it that figuring I could work around it's incongruities and I actually really liked it ....except that the illuminated reticle constantly switched on and off every 4 seconds of it's own volition - eresearch suggests that this problem isn't unknown and is due to an overly tight battery compartment.

SO, back to Burris it has gone with a forecast of return or repair in 6-8  weeks.

There is about that long of whitetail season left and rather than stick some ugly sporting 'scope on it I returned to Midway's pages and came across this:

It's a Pride Fowler 30mm 1-4x with hash marks for 300 Blackout. I had a distant memory of MB talking about putting a PFI on some .22 or other during a podcast so I looked at their web site and read that they were imported from Japan.

Upon it's arrival, yesterday early evening, I discovered it is actually Chinese, but Hey-Ho, it might work !

Here it is on the rifle:

I should be able to get it sighted in today.
Best Wishes, Mike.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
Trijicon TA44 1.5x16 with amber triangle.... anything under 200m...

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
Hope that works out for you Bic.  Just as an update, I ran mine through a two day carbine course with Larry Vickers and liked it a lot.  After actually putting the MTAC through it's paces, this is what I think about my choice:  1) wish it went to 1x power which would make it more useful up close 2) BDC is quick and easy and very useful for up to the 300 yards max distance I used it for 3) glass is good enough to get the job done 4) eye relief is sufficient but could be improved 5) wish the "donut" circle and markings were "slimmer" or had less thickness.  

I got this scope as a compromise for close shooting every now and then and distance primary (put it on a DMR build).  Nowhere near as good up close as my EOTech, but then it worked OK would be better if 1x.  Didn't try BDC past 300 yards but a 5.56 really isn't very effective beyond 200 yards anyway.  For what I want it for, the BDC is more than precise enough.  I could hit head sized targets quickly at 300 yards but for hitting eggs and such at that distance it is not adequate.  I was surprised the glass was as clear as it was and I lived with the eye relief.

LAV suggested the Vortex HD (only HD) at around $1.5k or better yet a Schmidt Bender, of course.  I'll have to live with the MTAC and I like it even if it is a bit heavier and not a premium piece of glass.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk