Author Topic: AR makers quality and prices.  (Read 10686 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR makers quality and prices.
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
I know ther are numerous makers of ARs out there and I imagine that some are better than others.  From a previous thread I mentioned that I might change the barrel on one to be politically incorrect.  I'm also maybe thinking of getting another before NObama if I can afford it.  I've been looking a little bit and have found the following.  Was wondering what you think of the quality, accuracy, and prices of these.

1.  Used Bushmaster with removable carry handle and telescoping stock.  $735
2   Used Armalite flatop with telescoping stock and gas block with rail.  Looks new.  $850
3.  New Stag with removable carry handle and telescoping stock.  $900

How do these compare with with Rock River?
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: AR makers quality and prices.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
Ok, I'll bite...

My $.02:  How these compare to each other and to Rock River is tough to say *specifically* simply because we don't know
from the list you gave *exactly* what parts are on each rifle, i.e., standard 5-position stock vs. Magpul or Vltor, BUIS or not, etc.  Those variables can vary widely, and can represent a huge difference in overall usefulness and build quality.

In more general terms, how do the brands compare?  My (completely subjective) take: 

1  RRA
2  Stag
3  Armalite
4  Bushmaster

YMMV.  In fact, it's almost certain to.   ;D

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »
I think they're all good but don't know since I only have a Colt and a DPMS. Actually each one is about 40% Colt, 40% DPMS, and 20% whatever else I put in the mix. I just mixed and matched until I was happy with the results.

I heard that Stag makes receivers for some other brands so they should be good. RRA is supposed to be the best from what I hear. I think whichever is the closest to what you want is what you should get. If you save money on one but spend it all on parts and accessories you aren't saving any money. I customize every gun I own so I'm just buying a stripped lower the next time and buildng it my way.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
If I were to buy an AR right now, it would be a Stag
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:04:49 PM »
I like my RR M4gery. I put a Bushnell holographic sight on it. That sight is good for CQB but not long range precision.

I just bought a Fulton Armory, FAR-15 PVR at Camp Perry 10 days ago. I'll have to let you know later how I like it. It is at Fulton for some work this week to make it left handed. I shoot left handed so I needed some lefty work done on the righty rifle. But Fulton has a very good reputation for good rifles. I wanted this one with a solid stock, free floated handguard and longer barrel for targets and varmint hunting next month out west. I think the basic rifle was about a grand, but all the stuff I'm having done pushes the price up a bit. I will be putting a 4.5 to 14x Burris on this rifle in a LaRue mount.

The STAG M6L really caught my eye at the NRA Convention. It looks to be an excellent rifle for a lefty as well. But STAG was not at Camp Perry. So, they potentially lost a sale.

Patrick Sweeney"s Gun Digest book The AR 15 Volume 1 and 2 are essential reading for anyone interested in ARs. Pat provides a good read with lots of information on all the brands and all the hang ons. You do not need to read the chapters in order. Just look for the chapters that interest you and see what he has to say. But you do need both volumes to cover the brands. I found it worth the money to buy both volumes.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:13:08 AM »

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:21 AM »
To actually answer your question blackwolfe the bushmaster, the armalite and the stag prices look right.
So what does that mean?

It's up to you to decide how much you want to spend, $165.00 spread..... used is used - you might get some leverage there for another $100 off - possibly.

Review the work people hve put together at m4carbine.net

See all the information here at this link.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Personally I think I'd toss between the Armalite or the Stag. And then it would be a coin toss and I would not feel underarmed with either.
(Comming from a guy that made his own frankenrifle that includes six different manufacturers and it works like a charm)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »
If you're never going to use 75 grain or heavier bullets, the 1-9" twist would probably be better than the 1-7". Choosing your own barrel length, twist, and profile is one of the advantages of building a Frankenrifle.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
JFrank, you accidently swapped those twists.
Heavy bullet = faster twist.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »
best value Ive seen in an AR         -
CENTURY ARMS HAS JUST PRODUCED A SMALL LOT OF THESE REALLY NICE AR-15 RIFLES USING THEIR RECEIVERS AND SURPLUS COLT PARTS. THEY ARE FANTASTIC. I KNOW. I WAS SKEPTICAL TOO. BUT IN THE WORDS OF MADELINE KAHN ITS TRUE, ITS TRUE. ( OBSCURE BLAZING SADDLES REFERENCE. ) IN THE PAST CENTURY HAS PRODUCED SOME VERY ENTRY LEVEL AR-15 RIFLES. WHILE THEY ALWAYS FUNCTIONED PROPERLY THEY TYPICALLY HAD OLD STYLE A-1 SIGHTS, LIGHT BARRELS, ETC. WELL THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW. THESE THINGS ARE NICE. EACH RIFLE LOOKS NEW INSIDE AND OUT WITH BEAUTIFUL FURNITURE AND A REALLY NICE METAL FINISH. A-2 STYLE MICROMETER ADJUSTABLE SITES. HEAVY BBL WITH BIRDCAGE COMP AND BAYONET LUG. I WOULD PUT THESE UP SIDE TO SIDE WITH ANY OF THE BIG NAMES AND AT A FRACTION OF THE COST. BUT DON'T DELAY, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED AND AT THIS PRICE THEY WILL GO FAST. ACCEPT ALL AR15/M16 TYPE HI-CAP MAGS. SHIPS WITH 2 THERMOLD 20 RD MAGS.... AR15-C........$599.95... - IN STOCK NOW -
***UPDATE , OFFICER MARCUS BUCHANAN, A POLICE CHIEF WITH A DEPARTMENT LOCAL TO US HERE, RECENTLY ACQUIRED ONE OF THESE RIFLES FOR TESTING. HE HAS SINCE BOTH PURCHASED THESE RIFLES AND ENDORSED THESE RIFLES TO THE OFFICERS IN HIS DEPARTMENT. HE SAY'S THEY WERE AMONG THE FINEST , MOST WELL ASSEMBLED AR-15 RIFLES HE HAS HAD THE PLEASURE OF FIRING. THAT MEANS A LOT COMING FROM MARC. HE IS A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS FIREARMS
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
JFrank, you accidently swapped those twists.
Heavy bullet = faster twist.

I got it right. 1-7" is faster than 1-9". If you're never going to use the heaviest bullets you don't need the fastest twist. 64 grains is the heaviest I've used so far and does quite well in a 1-9" twist. I expect the 75 grain loads I bought to do better in my other AR with a 1-7" twist.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk