Author Topic: AR red dot optics?  (Read 18267 times)

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR red dot optics?
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »
My son presented me with a Bushmaster 5.56 lower on Christmas morning, leaving it up to me to build the rest. I'm not sure if I want to thank him, or spank him. This gift is going to cost me about $800.00. My former partner / gunsmith will build it for me and said that's what the parts I want will cost. He won't charge me labor, but that's a long story.

Since I want an A3 flat-top configuration I'm interested in putting some kind of red dot optics on it that won't cost me an arm and a leg. My question is; What experience does anyone have with the lower cost red dots? I'm looking for positive as well as negative comments.
This rifle will not be used for 1000 yard tack-driving competition, just your basic SHTF defense and utility rifle.
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: AR red dot optics?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
Glad you posted this. I was going to ask basically the same question.
I'm thinking of putting a low-buck scope on a truck gun (mini-14 carried around under the rear seat). I don't need a high dollar rig. I'll save those for my hunting rifles.

I saw these the other day and wondered of they are junk.

http://www.centerpointoptics.com/quick_aim_sights/1x34/

Thanks,

PegLeg
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

1776 Rebel

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »
If you go out to Midwayusa.com and do a search on red dot you will find a number of red dot sights for el cheapo. One BSA scope is this one...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=294221

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »
Based on my nephews comments, one career Army Ranger with service in 1st Gulf war, Iraq and Afghansitan, the other Marine Recon, Army LERP, Iraq and Afghansitan.  They both have used various red dot sights in combat and they go for the Aimpoint, not cheap but when TSHTF, why would you trust your life to a cheap sight.  That is what eventually I'll put on my evil black gun.
DesertMarine

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:17:54 PM »

Kelly Neal

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
I'd just get a good red dot off the bat as opposed to buying several cheapo ones, especially if this rifle is going to have a defensive role.  Aimpoints and Eotechs are good and each have their proponents.  You may also want to check out the Leupold Prismatic. 

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
Any reason why you don't look at an Aimpoint?   I know the COMP4 are pricey but there are other models available in lower price ranges.   Also you might find a good used one.   I sold a Model 2000 for $60 this past year.

Also, I have the Millet red-dot tube on my Crosman pellet pistol and it seems like a reasonable low end scope.

One thing to be aware, though, even though you can mount things real low, depending on your stock it may be too low for your eye to line up on.    So, I'd probably steer away from scopes with built in rings, because you can't vary the height if need be.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

1776 Rebel

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
Here are a couple of solutions to the scope height issue...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=326

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
Somebody has to say so it may as well be me: Why not put a low-power scope on it instead? No batteries to go dead when TSHTF. To me it seems like flat tops should have scopes and the other uppers shouldn't. Old fashioned thinking I guess.

If you get a variable power with 1 or 1.5x at the low end it lines up fast and at 4 or 6x you can take long shots too. Or you can get a fixed 2.5x for as low as $24. Just an idea. Of course you could spend over $400 on a 3x magnifier to go with a $$$ Aimpoint too. My budget won't allow that but maybe yours will.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »
Any reason why you don't look at an Aimpoint?   I know the COMP4 are pricey but there are other models available in lower price ranges.   Also you might find a good used one.   I sold a Model 2000 for $60 this past year.

Also, I have the Millet red-dot tube on my Crosman pellet pistol and it seems like a reasonable low end scope.

One thing to be aware, though, even though you can mount things real low, depending on your stock it may be too low for your eye to line up on.    So, I'd probably steer away from scopes with built in rings, because you can't vary the height if need be.

Hey Alf? I got a PA lottery ticket with some serious prizes - 1 in 125,000 shot at a million, same odds for $100,000. Goes off the third, you have a 1 : 125,000 chance of seeing that 10k scope for your AR.  ;D
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk