Author Topic: AR red dot optics?  (Read 18269 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: AR red dot optics?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
Hey Alf? I got a PA lottery ticket with some serious prizes - 1 in 125,000 shot at a million, same odds for $100,000. Goes off the third, you have a 1 : 125,000 chance of seeing that 10k scope for your AR.  ;D

Hey, if you just bought me a Bushnell 3200 I'd be happy.   Or even just send me a P99 magazine.  In fact, I'd be happy if during the press interviews you'd mention my name.  [Script:   "I want to especially thank that kind and wonderful gentlemen, and fabulous TV producer, Alf Sauve' (so-va')  for all the encouragement and guidance over the last couple of months."  (I could write more but I want it to fit a 5 second sound bite.) ]

Good luck. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

jimbob_texas

• Gun-totin' redneck
  • Forum Member
  • The Mud Bowl 2008
    • Texican Tattler
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:24:35 AM »
Comp C2 from Aimpoint.  10,000 hour battery life, 2MOA dot.  I've got about 4 cheap red-dots that I tried before I bought the Aimpoint.  The dots suck, they don't hold zero, wash out in bright sunlight, battery life is poor, batteries are stored in bad positions, etc.  Save your money, save the aggravation.  Invest in the Aimpoint.  I found it on sale for $389 from a dealer in Red Oak, TX.

jr
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:35:16 AM »
Based on my nephews comments, one career Army Ranger with service in 1st Gulf war, Iraq and Afghansitan, the other Marine Recon, Army LERP, Iraq and Afghansitan.  They both have used various red dot sights in combat and they go for the Aimpoint, not cheap but when TSHTF, why would you trust your life to a cheap sight.  That is what eventually I'll put on my evil black gun.

I think you need to RE-READ his request.
God I love it when a person starts a thread and then everyone weighs in with all sorts of replies that have no relevance what so ever to the original request. 

F.Y.I. what he asked for Marine was I'm interested in putting some kind of red dot optics on it that won't cost me an arm and a leg. My question is; What experience does anyone have with the lower cost red dots? I'm looking for positive as well as negative comments. telling him about a $500 red dot is no where near lower cost - is it?
At least not to me.

Also never did he say he was going to Afgan, or Iraq - where did he say this was going to be his life saving gun? Everyone wants to point out how a $30 sight will not last up in a war zone.
Why can't this sight sit on top of a fun gun just for plinkiing and punching holes in paper?

Please people, exercise reading comprehension when replying to a post.

Pioneer  I have see and shot the $70 TruGlo and have had no issues with it, I have shot an AK with a Burris Fast Fire also (that may be too expensive @~$165.00) it holds up well but has a very small on/off switch.

Dharmaeye

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »
Bought this unit from www.AR15.com. He sold out now but more available end of February.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=142&t=606737

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
..... that won't cost me an arm and a leg. My question is; What experience does anyone have with the lower cost red dots? I'm looking for positive as well as negative comments.

I think most of the posts are providing Pioneer with the info he needs to make a decision.   He's been shown a plethora of options in the <$150 range, some with the user's first hand experience.  And as well, some slightly higher priced options.  In addition, the suggestion was made, with justification, to go with plain optics as well.

Considering that red-dots go from between $10 and $10K+, where do you draw the line for "arm and leg".   If you're going to spend $1,000 on the rifle, plus another couple hundred on accessories, then is $300 on quality optics within reason?  I have learned, the hard way, that buying quality up front almost always pays off later on.    That's all some of where trying to convey.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:55:22 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
I think first decision is purpose or use.

Home defense says no magnification.  100 yards plus there is a need for magnification (or less depending on use and eye performance).

Do you need really quick response to shoot or can you wait a few instants for precision for your intended purpose....do you need both?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
God I love it when a person starts a thread and then everyone weighs in with all sorts of replies that have no relevance what so ever to the original request. 

F.Y.I. what he asked for Marine was I'm interested in putting some kind of red dot optics on it that won't cost me an arm and a leg. My question is; What experience does anyone have with the lower cost red dots? I'm looking for positive as well as negative comments. telling him about a $500 red dot is no where near lower cost - is it?
At least not to me.

Also never did he say he was going to Afgan, or Iraq - where did he say this was going to be his life saving gun? Everyone wants to point out how a $30 sight will not last up in a war zone.
Why can't this sight sit on top of a fun gun just for plinkiing and punching holes in paper?

Pioneer  I have see and shot the $70 TruGlo and have had no issues with it, I have shot an AK with a Burris Fast Fire also (that may be too expensive @~$165.00) it holds up well but has a very small on/off switch.

Which is less expensive, a $5 dollar hammer you have to replace every couple of years or a $25 hammer you pass onto your kids ?

jimbob_texas

• Gun-totin' redneck
  • Forum Member
  • The Mud Bowl 2008
    • Texican Tattler
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »

At least not to me.

I've burned through several crappy red-dots, to the tune of a little over $250.  If I'd had the benefit of experience, I'd have saved the money on those POS options, and spent more in order to have an EXCELLENT option that will last for years.  YMMV.

I think it's humorous someone believes they can speak for others, or even better, validate/invalidate other people's opinions.  We're trying to help this guy, and you interpose YOUR values on the conversation?

Exercise?  Exercise restraint.  I'm sure this guy can look at the opinions offered and make an informed decision.  All by himself.

Peace.
jr
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »
Why thank you jimblob for setting me straight, next time someone asks abut red dots, I'll just tell them to buy an AK instead, your right why bother keeping it on topic, let's tell him that Stanley hammers are the best and maybe he should put one of those in every room of his house.

Pioneer do what jimbo tells you , he knows more than I do.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
Hey Tom, pass the popcorn...........this might get good.

::)

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk