Author Topic: AR-15 Sling Question..  (Read 10763 times)

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR-15 Sling Question..
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »
This is more directed at Erik as he had said in one of the videos to ask him about them offline.

So, I am asking. 

Right now I use a standard sling.  I have looked at the 3 point ones, single point ones, bungee ones, Israeli ones, etc...  Makes a holster choice seem simple.. :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Secesh

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: AR-15 Sling Question..
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
I'm interested in this question too, what is the best sling to use in 3 gun? The slings I've seen on Shooting Gallery look like they  may be one point slings. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Secesh

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:22:43 PM »
I agree. We need to hear from the experts on AR15 slings pros and cons. I am using an M1907 sling.  But is there something better?

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
Guys, sorry for the delay.  I was shooting the 3-Gun Nationals at USSA and didn't have access to a computer.

Sling choice really depends on what you want the sling to do.

I'll start with Secesh

what is the best sling to use in 3 gun?

I prefer the old style 2 point sling attached at the front and rear sling swivel (or the 1907 variety.)  These type slings are used to carry a rifle and to increase the stability of your shooting platform.  Probably the best methods of it's use is still found in the Marine Corps instruction manual.  I would highly recommend obtaining a copy of the manual if you are considering using this type of sling.  I find it quite useful in 3-Gun competitions.

For CQB applications, I generally prefer a 3 point sling vs. single point slings.  3 points will give better control in extreme CQB applications, but they are more cumbersome and can block access to certain AR15 controls.  The single point does not hinder access to certain controls, but also has less support and retention capabilities.

Lately I've been working with the Viking Tactic's 2 point sling and it's growing on me.  It may become my new perference in slings, but I need to do some more work with it before I switch over to it on a regular basis.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:55:31 PM »
Thank you Erik for that reply.  I wasn't worried, I figured you were either busy with a class, or who knows what.  :)

From what I am gathering from your post, I basically need at least 2 slings (for my needs anyway).  I can have one for hooting around in the woods, or around the ranch here, which would be the standard 2 point sling.  That is what I have, good.  For the other one I would probably go with a 3 point as I like to use a sling when I can.  Probably only use it in 3 gun, but ok, I can live with that.

Ok, so what do you like about this new sling.. quit with the teaser.. :)

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:03:20 PM »

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »
 :)Thanks Erik.
I appreciate your insight on the sling question. I'll stick with the old one I have had for at least 40 years.
 ;) Bill

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:15:26 AM »
Ok, so what do you like about this new sling

The new sling goes over the shoulder and is attached to mounting points on the top of the rifle and not the bottom.  It has a quick release/adjustment sytem that allow the user to cinch it up fast to increase your stability for precision fire, but can also be loosened up fast for CQB/ close quarter operations and being a 2 point design, it does not interfere with the left side weapon controls.

Go to VikingTactics.com to check out the features.  I've been very impressed with the design.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »
Cool Erik, thanks.  Now that looks like a design that I might like as well.. hmm.. I guess it is either wait till you have wrung it out, or get one myself and try it out..

-Bidah

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:59:52 PM »
I'll make you deal.

Don't wait.  Order one from Brownell's.  If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
Reading some of Jim Higginbothems posts on another forum he mentions a sling that has a quick disconnect in case you need to lose it quick as in CQC (he is training our troops b4 deployment) I think its a 2 point system, Gov. issue , have any info on this?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk