Author Topic: AR Sling mount  (Read 6862 times)

Badgersmilk

AR Sling mount
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
I'm sure most, if not all of you know what this is, what I dont understand is this particular one is $15 bucks shipped.  I see most other brands selling at around $40-$50 bucks before shipping. It's a simple stamped part.  Anybody had a problem by going with the cheaper one?

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR Sling mount
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »
It should be fine
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:48:10 AM »
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=333

This one is from LaRue Tactical and is a bit more but provides an ambidextrous swivel. I have something similar on my LWRC that is manufactured by Daniel Defense.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=78

This is how it looks mounted.  Bill T.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
Looks nice.  And I know LaRue & Daniel Defense make REALLY good stuff.  Am I correct in thinking they both have a "push button release"?  Sounds dumb, but that'd kinda worry me.  Somebody mentioned in the "favorite sling" thread about bumping a button and the gun dropped in the dirt.  :(  That could not only be embarrasing, but a life ending mishap.  

I ordered the cheap Mako one and it'll be here in a couple days.  Before I put it on I want to try to bend it around a little and see if it's a piece of crap or not.  I liked it because it's simple, light, foolproof, and oh yeah, cheap! ;D  If it is junk, it was only $15 bucks, I'll just toss it.

I like the single point mount because it's quick and clean, not likely to ever get in the way.  And when adjusted right, they hold the rifle in the perfect position for quick transition of weapons.  Like anything the single point sling's have trade-offs.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »
Here Y'all are posting more stuff for me to decide what to put on that AR I'm gonna build.... ;D
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:19:33 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »
Well, it's here!

And actually made VERY well from what I can tell so far.  At least the steel it's made from is VERY well hardened, enough Atlas himself won't be bending it with his bare hands!  Finish quality is better than the original DPMS part.  I got it off Ebay if anybody else is interested.

Now the problem!  I can't get the locking ring off the stock!  I in all my ignorant glory thought.  "My handy dandy Craftsman strap wrench will pop that thing right off there"...  NOT!

So off I go to hunt down a spanner I'll likely never use again in 10 lifetimes.  Hopefully I can find an "AR multi-tool" that'll do.  I think I remember seeing them in the past.   :-\

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
I could be wrong, but it looks like a stamped piece of 1/8 th steel to me? How good, or bad can it be if all it has to do is support a sling attached to a rifle weighing 7 pounds or less?   Bill T.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Stamping would be my guess, but there are MANY grades of steel.  Without proper hardening this thing is thin enough to bend like butter.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »
Well, shopped for the tool for a few minutes, realized I dont have the patience for all that, or desire to pay more for a one use tool than I did for the part!  So in step's the bench vice and a rag.  DONE!

Perfect part, except in the first picture you can see where the clasp for the sling will touch the reciever and eventually rub paint off...   :-\

Not going to make me change anything.

The gun usually looks better than this, less rag lint, and far less splotchy after a good wipe down. I removed the sling hoop just in front of the butt plate cover after the picture, and the front gas block sling mount has been long gone (rattled around against the forearm).

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
 It should not wear off the anodized finish because you should wrap the sling hooks with tape. This serves 3 functions, protects your finish, keeps the metal hooks from rattling on the metal mount, and locks the sling hooks closed so your sling does not let go and drop your rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk